• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

plucking or molting? not sure

oikermit

Checking out the neighborhood
hello everyone that's reading this, i appreciate you stopping by.
i'm a bit new to bird ownership, having adopted my green cheek conure, nova, nearly four months ago (time flies by so quickly!)

about a month ago, when he turned five months old, he started losing a lot of his white downy feathers (and still is, they're all over the floor). so naturally, i assumed he was starting his first molt. but recently, as he approaches six months old, i've started noticing different feathers coming out. granted, they're small and still (i think?) downy feathers, they've just got color on the tips of them and are more feather-shaped. so in kicks my paranoia.
i immediately assumed plucking, but i'm sure this is a common fear in new bird owners. just tonight, nova was laying on my chest and was preening his chest, and he presented me with two feathers, which has me thinking he plucked them, but he didn't make any sounds of pain or anything when they'd come out.
another note, just before that happened i was scratching his cheeks and two little feathers came out no problem, so my mind is kind of going every which way here.

when looking up pictures of plucked feathers taken for dna testing and noticed they looked very similar, if not exactly alike, to the feathers i've been finding lately. (i will provide a picture of some of them if anyone is curious).

but i also read somewhere that six months old is too young for birds to begin plucking? is that true?

please help anyone!! i'm panicking!!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds like molting to me! :fairy: Sometimes I can make a feather bed from Pilos small downy feathers that fall to the floor!

AbbyLove

Moving in
Real Name
Jeannie
Abby has been molting too... I guess loosing summer plumage and getting winter. I just look to see if there is any "balding" or skin damage. She lets me look under her wings and still has full feathering. So, as long as I don't see any damage, I don't worry. Looks like your baby is getting his coloring.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What kind of Feathers do your birds have under there wings? One of my lovies has a lot of plumes there and not a lot of Feathers, is that normal?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I don't know what plucked conure feathers look like, but I do what Milton's look like. They still are mostly sheathed, with a little of the feather coming out at the top. Most of them also still have a bit of blood in them, on the unopened end.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you! I Always Worry that when my bird is molting he might be plucking. He isn't Luckily but I am Always kind of scared he Will start doing it.