• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help!

:^ilovemybirbs

Moving in
22D6785D-F9AB-4D78-B16E-E9CB3EAE8454.jpeg AC69E460-6BB6-48BB-9C49-F4F62DFAEAB6.png I have health concerns for my bird, Tweet. Over the past couple months, Tweet was very fluffy and sat on perches normally (instead of lifting a foot). Tweet has a friend in the cage as well, named Pirate. The first image is Tweet now, and the second is Tweet a month ago. My mom and brother both say Tweet is molting, but I’m not sure. The nearest avian vet is almost 20 minutes away from us. Please help :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
20 minutes is not a long drive. Many members have a much longer drive to a vet. If a bird has had health concerns for a few months with no vet exam the bird could be very sick. What is happening to the bird to make you think things are not right?

Katlovesbirbs

Meeting neighbors
20mins? How is that inconvenient at all? Seems pretty close to me. Please take the birdie to the vet if you're concerned. If your parents allowed you to have a sweet bird that depends on you for everything, they should be willing to take a short drive to ensure your bird's wellbeing.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See the avian vet, work something out to pay the vet bill with your parents.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Bird’s hide their illnesses really well, if she is sick she could suddenly die. Tell your parents they are responsible for the life of this bird:) I think 20 minutes is really close, my school is further away then that. My Avian vet is 35-45 minutes away, but my fids are worth the drive of course!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How long have you had your birds? Have they ever been to the vet? A well vet check when you first get a bird is a good idea anyway, so if something seems off you really should go. Could you be more specific on the symptoms? Is your bird loosing feathers? Is he still eating and playing? Does he use his foot okay? If he’s sitting with one foot tucked in his feathers, that could be normal behavior. That is frequently how my birds take naps.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Take them to the vet. 20 minutes is nothing. Many members here drive much longer to go the vet. Heck, I've gone to the ER vet (an hour and a half away) at 3 am when it's snowing. Just get them there.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I would happily take a 20 minute trip.

My vet is a little over an hour away from me, but it's the traffic that gives me grey hairs. When the speed limit is 70mph and other drivers are going 80-90mph, there's something wrong.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you have concerns then agree with others take the 20 min. trip to the vet. Hope all will be well. Keep us updated.
BTW, trim the stringy parts of the rope perch or better yet replace the perch.