• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Please Help! Strange Lovebird body language.

Rayla

Moving in
Recently my peach faced lovebird has been displaying strange behavior; she will constantly click and scratch her head from time to time while bobbing up and down (she rarely does any of these). This behavior lasts for about 1-5 minutes and only happens maybe once every other week (or less). Since it rarely happens I'm not too sure as of when it started since she's only 5 months old (and I've had her for 2-3 months). It seems to me as if she needs to 'sneeze' in lack of a better term (as if something was itching her nostrils). I have checked her nostrils in case if she had any sort of fluid or abnormalities but they look healthy. I'm not sure if this is hormonal or if its something more concerning. Videos: Lovebird1 Lovebird2

Last edited:

Rayla

Moving in
The sound is very quiet since I recorded on my phone so you will probably have to turn it up to be able to hear the clicks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you, I was aware you could post video links/URLs but wanted to avoid youtube if possible but I'll do that right now.
We are unable to host videos here because of the sheer size of our community. Bandwidth and server space are expensive and the forum owner pays most of the fees out of her own pocket. There are other options beyond youtube, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Vimeo, etc.

Rayla

Moving in
We are unable to host videos here because of the sheer size of our community. Bandwidth and server space are expensive and the forum owner pays most of the fees out of her own pocket. There are other options beyond youtube, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Vimeo, etc.
Thank you again, I have already edited the original post to include the two youtube short links. Since I only have one lovebird and haven't owned birds in the past all of these behaviors are new to me. I've done so much research and looked into things that I'm curious about online but I couldn't find a single video with this behavior. It reminds me of hiccups in the sense that it doesn't seem voluntary. I just want my baby to be safe.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The videos in the first link take me to you tube..

Looks like practice regurgitation to me but as I don’t have a lovebird I’m not entirely positive.

Rayla

Moving in
The videos in the first link take me to you tube..

Looks like practice regurgitation to me but as I don’t have a lovebird I’m not entirely positive.
Interesting, is the constant clicking/itching of the head a normal behavior during this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It also looks like practice regurgitation to me too

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she will constantly click and scratch her head from time to time while bobbing up and down (she rarely does any of these). This behavior lasts for about 1-5 minutes
Going off of what you said without access to the video, I think possibly your bird is a he, and this is the ¨clicky dance¨. Sometimes it´s a quiet click, other times it can get very loud. Lots of scratching the head with the foot. When a female is present, the male will then regurgitate for her, so you will find that your bird will eventually bring up food but then eat it himself.

Rayla

Moving in
Going off of what you said without access to the video, I think possibly your bird is a he, and this is the ¨clicky dance¨. Sometimes it´s a quiet click, other times it can get very loud. Lots of scratching the head with the foot. When a female is present, the male will then regurgitate for her, so you will find that your bird will eventually bring up food but then eat it himself.
Thats interesting, most of Mochi's behavior points to her being a she atleast for me, but I have sent in a gender test so we will find out soon! Thank you for the insight!