• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pestaa stories

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My poor 'Maclet':sad11::sad11:... Don't know why he prefers feathers over chew toys.
Aww bless his little heart. Hopefully it's just because he's still nervous in a new home and once he settles in more the plucking will stop.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww bless his little heart. Hopefully it's just because he's still nervous in a new home and once he settles in more the plucking will stop.
I sincerely hope so, kept my fingers crossed

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
How old is he. He looks like he still has a baby face.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
How old is he. He looks like he still has a baby face.
I think they always have a baby face!
It's hard to see if he has the sorta blue above his nares, but it does look darker and not green.
I do see he has full red epaulets. I remember waiting and waiting and waiting for Jimi's to come in.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think they always have a baby face!
It's hard to see if he has the sorta blue above his nares, but it does look darker and not green.
I do see he has full red epaulets. I remember waiting and waiting and waiting for Jimi's to come in.
I have been told, he's around four years. He has bluish green forehead, but whats the significance? His eyes are very dark brown.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have been told, he's around four years. He has bluish green forehead, but whats the significance? His eyes are very dark brown.
I was just commenting that he seems to have developed the coloring of a not-a-baby-bird. in answer to @zoo mom
I don't think there are any differences in appearance for male/female.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I was just curious about his age.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
he looks young his eyes are very dark. they turn orangey at adulthood. if you weigh him I could probably tell you more detailed.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you giving him out of cage time? If not you need to. Also he needs a swing if he doesn't have one. Macaws love swings. Also several foot toys he can pick up.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you giving him out of cage time? If not you need to. Also he needs a swing if he doesn't have one. Macaws love swings. Also several foot toys he can pick up.
Foot toys are there, but I'll add a swing urgently. For the out of cage time, we let him out one day but he became so stressed, he hide under the bed. So till now, we don't force it.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
hows he doing today? any better?
I don't know, yesterday also I saw torn feathers at cage floor. But he seems to get interested in his toys. I gave him a good shower yesterday. Let's see, I am praying constantly.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I don't know, yesterday also I saw torn feathers at cage floor. But he seems to get interested in his toys. I gave him a good shower yesterday. Let's see, I am praying constantly.
mine doesnt play with his toys a lot he chooses his times when to destroy them or not. he does a lot of cage crawling upside down and on the bars. or bottom trying to reach the tray. hes very active. sits on a perch mainly to groom and nap. hes otherwise always on the move. hes 5 now so should be somewhat similar in motion. big thing is to keep them busy they need entertainment. if you have a tv in the room leave it on preferably where he can see it if the house is quiet often. i currently have youtube playing for them with the birds. i even put kids shows ( tiny voices will make them very excited though ). remove the torn feathers off the bottom. very possible hes hormonal already hard to say. at 4 hes on the line. but some species pluck to create a nest. i always remove them to not allow them to build anything close. when he plucked for a week i constantly took the feathers out to not give a reminder theres a nest to be made. i sometimes confuse them by using different material during hormone season like shredded paper and paper towel mix to not allow them to see what they drop down below. they have their sneaky ways lol very intelligent.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
mine doesnt play with his toys a lot he chooses his times when to destroy them or not. he does a lot of cage crawling upside down and on the bars. or bottom trying to reach the tray. hes very active. sits on a perch mainly to groom and nap. hes otherwise always on the move. hes 5 now so should be somewhat similar in motion. big thing is to keep them busy they need entertainment. if you have a tv in the room leave it on preferably where he can see it if the house is quiet often. i currently have youtube playing for them with the birds. i even put kids shows ( tiny voices will make them very excited though ). remove the torn feathers off the bottom. very possible hes hormonal already hard to say. at 4 hes on the line. but some species pluck to create a nest. i always remove them to not allow them to build anything close. when he plucked for a week i constantly took the feathers out to not give a reminder theres a nest to be made. i sometimes confuse them by using different material during hormone season like shredded paper and paper towel mix to not allow them to see what they drop down below. they have their sneaky ways lol very intelligent.
Yeah they are very intelligent. I don't think it's hormone because he's very quiet. It's pure stress of new environment.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now, there are some happy updates. With plenty of chewing materials and regular shower, Pestaa didn't show any feather chewing for last seven days. He's now interacting with Inca, a lot of flock calls going on here. You can imagine, the noise level at present with a hahns and a hormonal amazon interacting and a baby conure trying to give his opinion in between :lol: . But i am really really so happy that Pestaa has finally found his voice back.
As for human interaction, he's still very much hand shy, only takes treat from my hand, not anybody else. When I act silly to entertain him, he gives me a look like what the hell... And my saintly Inca becomes so happy that he emits THE SMELL:heart::heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so happy he is coming out of his shell.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That’s amazing!!! Sounds like everyone is happier for it :swoon:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The main problem with Pestaa is now, his diet. He will not touch anything other than seeds and fruits. He'll rather fast. Seriously, I've provided him other food and pellets, he didn't eat till afternoon! I can't force or starve him. So I'm making seed sprouts, he likes them. For fruits, I've restricted it but can't stop right now. For Inca, I make lots of other foods like boiled rice and potatoes or roasted gram balls. Inca loves them but neither Pestaa nor Rio will eat. Please friends, I need ideas and advice.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
The main problem with Pestaa is now, his diet. He will not touch anything other than seeds and fruits. He'll rather fast. Seriously, I've provided him other food and pellets, he didn't eat till afternoon! I can't force or starve him. So I'm making seed sprouts, he likes them. For fruits, I've restricted it but can't stop right now. For Inca, I make lots of other foods like boiled rice and potatoes or roasted gram balls. Inca loves them but neither Pestaa nor Rio will eat. Please friends, I need ideas and advice.
might sound harsh but how i got both of my birds to eat pellets is i took everything and put a mix of the exact same stuff i use now about 5 diff pellets in a mix. they may throw it all you may see them yell and angry. they will begin to try them and find one they like. the one you see missing most begin to use more of and watch from there. or just offer that mix always. its very hard to just choose one pellet and say here you go. sometimes i notice they love zoopreem fruit ones, other days they chomp down lafeber pellets. so offer the variety i always say