• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pestaa stories

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
might sound harsh but how i got both of my birds to eat pellets is i took everything and put a mix of the exact same stuff i use now about 5 diff pellets in a mix. they may throw it all you may see them yell and angry. they will begin to try them and find one they like. the one you see missing most begin to use more of and watch from there. or just offer that mix always. its very hard to just choose one pellet and say here you go. sometimes i notice they love zoopreem fruit ones, other days they chomp down lafeber pellets. so offer the variety i always say
The main problem with Pestaa is now, his diet. He will not touch anything other than seeds and fruits. He'll rather fast. Seriously, I've provided him other food and pellets, he didn't eat till afternoon! I can't force or starve him. So I'm making seed sprouts, he likes them. For fruits, I've restricted it but can't stop right now. For Inca, I make lots of other foods like boiled rice and potatoes or roasted gram balls. Inca loves them but neither Pestaa nor Rio will eat. Please friends, I need ideas and advice.
I wanted to add one more important thing. when I began pellets with jefferson. when little he didnt likem a lot but I moistened them with hot water about 3 min for like a week.. if I remember correctly and he got used to it. I soaked the whole mix. it smells like wet cats and after a while turns to a rock and becomes useless but it worked. he even yells if I put nuts fruit and no pellets now.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wanted to add one more important thing. when I began pellets with jefferson. when little he didnt likem a lot but I moistened them with hot water about 3 min for like a week.. if I remember correctly and he got used to it. I soaked the whole mix. it smells like wet cats and after a while turns to a rock and becomes useless but it worked. he even yells if I put nuts fruit and no pellets now.
That's a great idea, it may work... I'll try it today.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the meantime, the tail-less brat tried to chew wing feathers again. Dunno why he has become very excited nowadays, flapping his wings frequently. Is it a hormonal behavior? I'll try to take a video.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The main problem with Pestaa is now, his diet. He will not touch anything other than seeds and fruits. He'll rather fast. Seriously, I've provided him other food and pellets, he didn't eat till afternoon! I can't force or starve him. So I'm making seed sprouts, he likes them. For fruits, I've restricted it but can't stop right now. For Inca, I make lots of other foods like boiled rice and potatoes or roasted gram balls. Inca loves them but neither Pestaa nor Rio will eat. Please friends, I need ideas and advice.
Have you tried some baked sweet potato? I bake it in the skin until it is lovely and soft- Burt loves it and will often try a new food if I chop it up small and poke it into the sweet potato. Pumpkin done this way also works.

Capsicum seeds, pumpkin seeds with some of the veg might be an easier transition if you have a seed junkie.

I would stick to feeding the seed sprouted instead of plain seed if he is accepting of it.

I also find some new veggies seem good enough for the birds to try if they are presented like a toy on a skewer or inside the baffle cage. They might waste a lot but as they shred chunks they get the taste and I have managed to get Birdie (previously only recognised 3 items as food) to try some new foods by adding them to the toy skewer.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried some baked sweet potato? I bake it in the skin until it is lovely and soft- Burt loves it and will often try a new food if I chop it up small and poke it into the sweet potato. Pumpkin done this way also works.

Capsicum seeds, pumpkin seeds with some of the veg might be an easier transition if you have a seed junkie.

I would stick to feeding the seed sprouted instead of plain seed if he is accepting of it.

I also find some new veggies seem good enough for the birds to try if they are presented like a toy on a skewer or inside the baffle cage. They might waste a lot but as they shred chunks they get the taste and I have managed to get Birdie (previously only recognised 3 items as food) to try some new foods by adding them to the toy skewer.
Yeah I'm giving him carrot in a skewer. Though he won't touch it, I keep offering that.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
In the meantime, the tail-less brat tried to chew wing feathers again. Dunno why he has become very excited nowadays, flapping his wings frequently. Is it a hormonal behavior? I'll try to take a video.
i believe your baby is in full hormone stages not just new home stress. its a psychological thing where even the other bird near him may cause the excitement. fruit is sugar i stay away from giving a lot. breeding season i give bland and sugarless as much as possible along with long hours of darkness until around june. after that you could mix more of the junk.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everything is going on normally. Now I think we should start working on stepping up with pestaa. He takes treat from my hand and few times, he doesn't shy away if I put my inside his cage. He just watches curiously. So I put my hand in cage and gently asked him to step up. He didn't move away but he didn't seem interested also. He was just looking intently. Then when I moved more towards him slowly, he made a mild lunging movement and touched my hand with his beak. I took it as a warning and backed off. Did I do anything wrong? How should I proceed?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everything is going on normally. Now I think we should start working on stepping up with pestaa. He takes treat from my hand and few times, he doesn't shy away if I put my inside his cage. He just watches curiously. So I put my hand in cage and gently asked him to step up. He didn't move away but he didn't seem interested also. He was just looking intently. Then when I moved more towards him slowly, he made a mild lunging movement and touched my hand with his beak. I took it as a warning and backed off. Did I do anything wrong? How should I proceed?
@Shezbug @TikiMyn @flyzipper pleeeeez

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are you working on his time/at his pace or yours? It honestly sounds to me like you’re eager but he’s not just yet.
It also sounds like you have nothing to offer right now that your bird wants so why would he choose to step on you, what’s in it for him?
I’m not so sure you’ve built enough trust and friendship to be requesting such a big leap of trust from him. I think you’re best waiting till he’s coming to you/seeking you out for interaction.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
... Did I do anything wrong? How should I proceed?
I haven't had as much time lately to follow all the background, but this interaction sounds pretty perfect to me :)

... I put my hand in cage and gently asked him to step up. He didn't move away but he didn't seem interested also. He was just looking intently.
Another explanation is he didn't know what you were asking (yet).
He takes treat from my hand and few times...
You can leverage this food interest by offering food with one hand, slightly out of reach, while offering your other hand as a place for him to step and reach the treat. I usually don't like luring, but I think it has its place when it's used gently to guide a request especially when what you're asking isn't already understood. At first, I would reward any slight progress, even if it's just him testing how solid your hand feels as a place to step. Then a tentative step that gets withdrawn receives a treat and praise, and eventually a full step onto your hand.

I'm a fan of foot-first with birds, especially macaws, because beak-first "stepping" will sometimes makes it difficult to read their intent. Generally, when a bird eventually learns to lift a foot to show they want up, and then lead with the foot to step, everyone is clear on what's being communicated (they want to step up).

Be a solid trustworthy perch and over time Pestaa will learn that your hand is a safe place to be.
If I give Oscar a weak tentative hand to step on, he won't... even if he was the one who originally asked to step up.

Of course, this is where target training is helpful too, and you could also start there if either of you aren't quite ready for a step-up directly to your hand.

... Then when I moved more towards him slowly, he made a mild lunging movement and touched my hand with his beak. I took it as a warning and backed off.
You're both learning how to communicate with each other and I'd say both "speaking voices" were a healthy and polite level.
Pestaa told you he's had enough, or he's not comfortable with what you were doing, with that mild lunge/touch.
You communicated that you understood his message, and respected his wishes by backing off.

I think you just earned some goodwill there, and both learned something about each other and the current boundaries.
Even though I believe this was a positive outcome overall, it was in the context of an interaction that was currently unwanted.
Make a mental note of where that boundary was crossed as it's good feedback for where the relationship currently stands.
if it continues to happen with more frequency, I'd take it as a sign to slow down and focus on interactions that are welcomed.

Now I think we should start working on stepping up with pestaa
There's no rush in any of this, and remember that "I think" is only one side of this relationship -- often it's best to let our birds decide the pace.

Enjoy this phase for what it is -- you're both learning each other and laying a foundation for a healthy trusting relationship.

Last edited:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you working on his time/at his pace or yours? It honestly sounds to me like you’re eager but he’s not just yet.
It also sounds like you have nothing to offer right now that your bird wants so why would he choose to step on you, what’s in it for him?
I’m not so sure you’ve built enough trust and friendship to be requesting such a big leap of trust from him. I think you’re best waiting till he’s coming to you/seeking you out for interaction.
Thank you Shez, I'll take it more slowly.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes there's so much to learn... Pestaa is a complete new lesson for me. It's totally different from Inca, Rio or Chirik.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you Shez, I'll take it more slowly.
Sorry for my short and slightly abrupt reply, I have a visitor who is pretty demanding so I am pressed for time and brain power- I hope you did not take offense to my lack of explanation.

Follow your birds lead (same goes for many pets) and work with it, easier than forcing things he is not ready for.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I second what’s already been said. Watch him, he is your teacher as much as you are his. You will get there!