• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Percentages of Food

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
When I measure out my birds food in percentages, such as 60% pellets, 20% seeds, 20% fruits and veggies, etc., should I do the percentages based on weight or volume? So let's say I make a hundred grams of food, I would do it based on weight, 60 grams of pellets, 20 grams of seeds, and 20 grams of fruits and veggies. But if I did it by volume and made like 10 tbsp of food, I would do 6 tbsp pellets, 2 tbsp seeds, and 2 tbsp fruits and veggies, regardless of how much each weighed.
I feel like percentage by weight is more accurate. What should I do!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Weight is the more accurate because if the pieces of fruit are cut larger than the pellets are made, less will fit into a measuring cup. There is also the fact that one cup of most different things will have different weight. For example, a cup of cotton balls will weight far less than a cup of rocks. Weight is how you want to do it if you are trying to accurately make a percentage based diet.

Reactions: tka

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Weight is more accurate for sure, but I tend to follow the "eyeball" method ;)

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would do percentages by weight because it’s a better calculation of nutrients, calories, fat, protein per gram or kilogram.
I think this is usually calculated by weight.