• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet choices

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So along with their chop and small seed amount in the morning, my flock has pellets 24/7.

Yuka and Mimi (GCC and 'tiel) love the Zupreem naturals. Never took to Harrison's but thankfully have taken well to the Zupreem.
Now Kumo(Lovie) has nibbled a bit on them, but really isn't eating too much of them. The breeder I got him from said he gave the fruity Zupreem pellets to him on occasion, but I'm not sure about those. Should I try him on those or do you have any suggestions?
I'm thinking it may be a size thing as well, as I noticed he never touches his safflower seeds. I use the cockatiel size but should I switch to the parakeet size for him?
Any advice is appreciated. :)

I'm just not sure if I should cave and give the fruity Zupreem pellets as I've heard they're not the best as opposed to the naturals and other brands.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Give him whatever brand/type he'll eat. Fruity pellets are better than no pellets, right? Mine have only ever shown any interest in finch-sized pellets. I tried like 5 different brands of pellets. Twink is my primary test subject because he's the only one who will reliably eat some in the morning. He only seems to care for the Kaytee Rainbow Exact.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thanks! :)
I'll pick up a bag and see what he thinks. I'll try the finch size as @fluffypoptarts recommended.
Hopefully this stubborn boy takes to them. :confused:
@Applebutter I haven't actually heard of those. I'll see if the bird specialty store I go to has them, and if he refuses the fruity Zupreems will give those a try. Thanks! :D

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Yeah the pretty bird mini is also finch/ canary sized. It comes in a baby blue bag with pink lettering- can't miss it! :D I mix it with Goldenfeast petite legume for pocket sized parrots in the afternoon. I pour the pellets and the Golden feast in a large plastic tub for later use and mix it around, they love it!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

You can try Roudybush California pellets. We have great luck with them at the shelter, across the birds - tiny to extra large.

You can find the Roudybush in mini size, worth giving a try! And I agree, while there are great pellets, if the bird won't eat them, they aren't so great! You do have the option of 'hiding' the pellets. You can grind them using a coffee grinder (never used for coffee obviously) or nutribullet. Then sprinkle the dust over everything your bird does eat, mix in chops, add to birdie bread, etc. I joke its like with kids and hiding broccoli in the brownies :)

Best of luck!!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
You can try Roudybush California pellets. We have great luck with them at the shelter, across the birds - tiny to extra large.

You can find the Roudybush in mini size, worth giving a try! And I agree, while there are great pellets, if the bird won't eat them, they aren't so great! You do have the option of 'hiding' the pellets. You can grind them using a coffee grinder (never used for coffee obviously) or nutribullet. Then sprinkle the dust over everything your bird does eat, mix in chops, add to birdie bread, etc. I joke its like with kids and hiding broccoli in the brownies :)

Best of luck!!
Thank you! I'll look for those for sure. Good idea with grinding them as well, never thought of crushing the pellets.
To get Mimi(Tiel) to eat her veggies it's always a game of hide and seek, so we'll see if I can trick the lil' boy. :D

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Just checked, the store does have the ones @Applebutter mentioned so I'll get those today along with the Zupreem.
I'll order the ones @Jenphilly mentioned if he turns his beak up at these, or even if he doesn't. They look like a great thing to offer into all three of my birds diets.
Thanks again all! :D