• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent peeling foot and leg?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
i’ve recently noticed my indian ringnecks foot has been very dry. almost 2 weeks ago i saw there was a little scab on her leg that was red she must’ve hurt herself somewhere but that’s healed now. then a few days after her feet were dry and she has a pressure sore on one of them (her right foot).

the perches she sits on are natural wood and i wrapped her other perch in vet wrap (to prevent bumble foot). however the pressure sore is still there and is the same as it was before, i’m not sure how long they take to heal..

today i saw her right leg was peeling too and it’s like there’s new (slightly peach) skin under it. she’s also moulting at the moment and is very tired because of it so she goes to sleep more frequently with her weight on her right leg as she keeps her left leg snuggled up in her tummy haha. besides that she’s just her regular cheeky self! i wanted to ask here before taking her to the vet as it’s very expensive to go to the vet here..

here are pictures of her feet for reference
i’ve also wrote the date and which foot is which just in case lol (the peeled skin doesn’t show very well in the last picture)

IMG_4582.jpeg IMG_4583.jpeg IMG_4584.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg IMG_4586.jpeg IMG_4577.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Someone will respond that knows about this stuff.

Just fyi, Secret, my amazon, tries to groom her feet (toes and all). I never put anything on them because of responses I read here. Basically I just let her step into her water bowl a few times when she bathes once a week and that's been helping with moisture.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest using natural aloe gel (alcohol free) on your birds feet. Rub a little on, once a day, for several days should help. You can also wash her feet daily with warm water.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Someone will respond that knows about this stuff.

Just fyi, Secret, my amazon, tries to groom her feet (toes and all). I never put anything on them because of responses I read here. Basically I just let her step into her water bowl a few times when she bathes once a week and that's been helping with moisture.
Thanks for the reply!
I actually gave my birdie a bath after posting this and after her feet looked way more moisturised!

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
I'd suggest using natural aloe gel (alcohol free) on your birds feet. Rub a little on, once a day, for several days should help. You can also wash her feet daily with warm water.
Thanks for the advice! I have an aloe vera plant in my garden so I’ll give it a go! :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
There should be several perches of different diameter. One of which fir your size bird needs to be a little bigger around than when you make ok symbol with thumb and pointer finger . Wider support and distribute weight more evenly.

It takes a while to recover from pressure points and they can get infected cause bumble foot and thst takes a while to cure.

If it isn't because of to small perches or sand paper perches, or always hanging in the side of cage. It can be from pain higher up in the opposite leg than the foot showing pressure sores. Because they shift the weight off the soar leg and put more weight on the opposite side then thst side develops the sores