• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patches Journal!

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
How did you do target training with your budgies? I assume millet is the lure, but am not actually sure what target training is.
The target is the stick so once they touch it or go towards touching it you click and reward. It's useful for things like getting them to go where you want or teaching tricks. It also builds the relationship and trust between you and your bird.

If I remember correctly, with Preeno I just held the stick infront and he bit it out of curiosity. They may not show interest at first but after a while they'll go for it :roflmao: you don't want them biting or attacking the stick though Preeno is always excited and too quick for me.

With Patches he's learning by watching Preeno.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Have you ever used targeting to get them close to each other calmly? If not then that could be an ineresting experiment, for me anyway which in my case I have two birds that can't tolerate each other out of cage.

clarousel

Have you ever used targeting to get them close to each other calmly? If not then that could be an ineresting experiment, for me anyway which in my case I have two birds that can't tolerate each other out of cage.
No I haven't tried that. Whenever Preeno flies, Patches follows and then Preeno freaks if he lands too near. If Preeno lands on us then Patches freaks out cause he doesn't trust us yet, then Preeno watches like what's wrong with you :roflmao:

I could try it once Patches is less scared of us!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
If Preeno lands on us then Patches freaks out cause he doesn't trust us yet, then Preeno watches like what's wrong with you :roflmao:
Yes, Scout is still like this. I have accepted that he may never have the audacity that Sam does. He will allow me to gently approach him and if I'm slow enough he will give kisses. A win. This may be all I'm allowed but it is enough.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Merlin fusses over my hands so much now that Percy comes over just out of jealousy (or the birdie equivalent ... "clearly this is an important resource I might need to FITE U FOR"). Then he sits on my hands and preens a little and then just sits and looks confused like, "what... what is the special thing about hand, I don't see it".

clarousel

It's so exciting and interesting to watch Patches get braver each day! I feel like a proud mama :shy:

Just a few days ago he started chattering and talking to a shiny object. Not sure if it's him feeling more comfortable or if he picked it up from Preeno, or both! He's part of the bedtime snacks routine now too, even though he'll only take millet from me if its a whole string of it so he can keep his distance :roflmao:

He started landing on us too but this usually requires millet bribes hehe. Wouldn't be surprised if Preeno gets a little chubbier from the free millets. I'm still so amazed at how quick and amazing learners these tiny fellas are!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
It's so exciting and interesting to watch Patches get braver each day! I feel like a proud mama :shy:

Just a few days ago he started chattering and talking to a shiny object. Not sure if it's him feeling more comfortable or if he picked it up from Preeno, or both! He's part of the bedtime snacks routine now too, even though he'll only take millet from me if its a whole string of it so he can keep his distance :roflmao:
Brave little guys! :heart: For all birds, vocalizing attracts attention (predators) and silence is a response to an immediate threat, so a singing and chattering budgie is definitely a more comfortable budgie. :D Isn't it a wonderful feeling to watch them learn they don't need to be afraid?

clarousel

Tonight's mini training video!

I'm not sure if Patches is too scared or unsure how to get out of his cage. I've been using Preeno to lure him out and get him back in (hehe!). Tonight he seemed scared and Preeno wasn't bothered. So I took the chance to target train him on his own! I clicked and offered millet so he'd relate the sound to yummy treats, then clicked when he didn't scurry away and then brought in my target stick. He's been targeting through the bars but I thought I'd try through the open cage door tonight!

Preeno eventually came over and I think that gave Patches confidence to follow the stick out of the cage! I thought I'd try to capture this milestone on video. You'd see Patches on the right side of the cage door as he climbed over to join Preeno eating millet from the cup :roflmao: he was initially on the left.

Please ignore my weird mumblings :wacky:
20211026_205920.mp4

Dorcas George

Tonight's mini training video!

I'm not sure if Patches is too scared or unsure how to get out of his cage. I've been using Preeno to lure him out and get him back in (hehe!). Tonight he seemed scared and Preeno wasn't bothered. So I took the chance to target train him on his own! I clicked and offered millet so he'd relate the sound to yummy treats, then clicked when he didn't scurry away and then brought in my target stick. He's been targeting through the bars but I thought I'd try through the open cage door tonight!

Preeno eventually came over and I think that gave Patches confidence to follow the stick out of the cage! I thought I'd try to capture this milestone on video. You'd see Patches on the right side of the cage door as he climbed over to join Preeno eating millet from the cup :roflmao: he was initially on the left.

Please ignore my weird mumblings :wacky:
20211026_205920.mp4
Hooray for small victories!

clarousel

So Patches is okay targeting through the bars. I tried inside the cage but hes too scared to receive the treat. Should I try offering millet with my hand inside the cage more often or continue targeting through the bars?

clarousel

I've put Preeno in Patches' cage for the night to see if they can tolerate each other. I've tried briefly in the day time and no issues except the foraging bowl. I've put in Preeno's sleeping perch for some familiaritt. Photo of them sharing a plate of chop and digging for seeds.

20211026_203724.jpg

Preeno seems more dominant but Patches will tell him off if he gets too kissy so I think he'l be able to defend himself if anything does happen.

Cage is still pretty bare as I figure things out. I hope I'm doing the right things! I feel like I'm doing everything by gut feel :wacky:

clarousel

Also Patches is still on a seed diet but I'm hoping he will follow Preeno on the pellets. In the mean time I guess Preeno will be having a seed buffet? Patches just lets him go at his food bowl!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So happy to announce Patches officially eats pellets!!!

Confirmed it by looking at his poo :roflmao: no more of that nasty dark green stuff. Preeno is such a great teacher, hurray! :yah:
That’s such great news!!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They're so cute! Is that rope perch lose or is their a wire through it? If there's no wire, how do they like landing on it? Seems like an interesting idea that might mimic landing on a twig or in a windstorm better.

clarousel

They're so cute! Is that rope perch lose or is their a wire through it? If there's no wire, how do they like landing on it? Seems like an interesting idea that might mimic landing on a twig or in a windstorm better.
That one has a wire in it but it's thin and doesn't provide much support. I made another without a wire and the knots make it stiff enough but not as stiff as ones you can get from the shop.

Patches actually lands on it a lot! I plan to make a longer one with a 2mm wire in it so I can bend it.