• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patches Journal!

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello!

I decided to start a thread to document how things go with my new budgie, Patches! I really wanted a name that rhymes with Preeno but couldn't think of anything not silly sounding :roflmao:

Screenshot_20210815-160132_Gallery.jpg

He's been with us a week now and he's more active and trying to jail break out of his cage. It's not an ideal size so I can sense his frustration and he really wants to meet Preeno! At least that what I think with all his jumping and running around when he hears him.

I try to spend as much time as I can with him and I'd like to think he's less afraid of my presence but still terrified of hands - he freaks out so much when I change his bowls which is fair enough. It's nice when we just sit together though, I can see him watching me and from time to time he'll preen or eat. Just 2 nights ago he was falling asleep and was even beak grinding!

He's going to the vet next week so hopefully he's all well and healthy to meet Preeno soon :)

Latest photo of Preeno (apologies for my feet) :heart:

20210814_210817.jpg

Those cute little toesies sticking out!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That's a really great picture of Patches!

clarousel

Patches accidentally jumped out of his cage in fear of my hand when I changed the food and water bowls. He took off and flew out into the living room and did a few laps as he couldn't find anywhere to land. I quickly turned the kitchen light off and he ended up on the kitchen floor, did an adorable chirp and I towelled him back to the cage.

I half expected him to crash into the walls and he tried to land on them but he flew very well and no crashes! He must've been very frightened because he didn't make a sound in the towel. Kinda proud of him for not crashing and also me for not panicking!

clarousel

20210816_221510.jpg
I just realised his tail is still quite short. He just moulted one and its on the small side. Could this mean he's younger than Preeno?

He's also missing a back toe nail on his right foot. Not sure if it was already missing when I got him.

I love the black patch on his left wing!

clarousel

Patches has just been to the vet.

Unfortunately he has quite a bit of mites in his wing feathers :(

I was surprised she didn't give him a dose of ivermectin like Preeno got last time. She told me to get mite spray and treat him for a month and then either check him myself or bring him/his feathers in.

There's been a few occassions Preeno has flown into the study to see Patches but she said that's not to worry about since the mites spread through feathers, toys and surfaces. Should I treat Preeno too, just to be safe?

clarousel

I was going to suggest Aveeno [rhymes w/ Preeno]... but I liked the name Patches.
Would the birds get confused if they rhyme?
Me too! It's cute but I must say Fuji is cute too and matches his white/blue colouration.

I'm not sure! I reckon Patches will take a while to come around too.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry about the mites! I prefer Patches.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I think Preeno and Patches sound good together.
Preeno and Fuji sounds kinda odd together in my opinion. But you are the one who must live with the names so do what you feel is best.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Patches and Fuji are both cute names but I’m partial to Fuji - it’s quite unique!

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Preeno and Patches are adorable!

clarousel

Mini update: I've done a first treatment for mites on Tuesday. The instructions are vague so I'm gonna go with once a week for now.

It's frustrating to have to keep him in a small cage but I don't think I can handle switching cages for both birds at the moment :(

The vet trip has made him more skittish with hands but he's calm when we just do our own thing around him. Can't wait for him to be mite free!!

clarousel

Decided to leave the cage open and exit the room so Patches could spread his wings. He finally came out! I think he's pretty frightened though, since he's not been out in the room.

He quickly found a perching spot though:
20210827_185828.jpg

I hope he gets hungry and figures out where his cage is... other wise it'll be a pretty traumatic time getting him back in :wacky:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Patches is beautiful! And your Preeno is still such a sweetheart :xflove:

Enjoy the adventure!

clarousel

Patches jumped out of his cage again. He's definitely learned the geography of the house because he's harder to catch now. He flies very well!

I feel like I've only managed to freak him out even more since day 1. The small cage isn't great (2 weeks left of mite treatment) and I know he hates it and being apart from Preeno.

I feel a bit miffed by what happened today - chasing him to get him back in the cage. I wouldve left him out but I can't risk him contaminating the rest of the house :(

It's hard spending time with him because he's in a separate room and I don't want to leavr Preeno out either. My free time is limited so it's pretty stressful.

I can't wait till he's mite free so he can be in the larger cage next to Preeno's! Hopefully he'll learn from him that I'm not scary after all :(

clarousel

Patches is still under quarantine. I managed to get hold of him the other day and his feather definitely look much better. He's seeing the vet next Wednesday so fingers crossed he's mite free and ready to meet Preeno!

I plan to have cages side by side first so they have indirect interaction and Patches can also watch and learn from Preeno. He's still terrified of hands (especially after his escape attempts and being caught back into his cage) and I reckon it'll take a while to trust us.

I'm wondering how would you get two birds, one tamed and one untamed, back in the cage? Would the untame one follow after?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Patches is still under quarantine. I managed to get hold of him the other day and his feather definitely look much better. He's seeing the vet next Wednesday so fingers crossed he's mite free and ready to meet Preeno!

I plan to have cages side by side first so they have indirect interaction and Patches can also watch and learn from Preeno. He's still terrified of hands (especially after his escape attempts and being caught back into his cage) and I reckon it'll take a while to trust us.

I'm wondering how would you get two birds, one tamed and one untamed, back in the cage? Would the untame one follow after?
So happy for you! Hope those mites bite the dust so they can be introduced soon.

That is exactly what happened with Merlin and Percy. Percy flew around desperate to get out and be with Merlin, not noticing the open cage door for several minutes. As soon as he noticed, he shot around the room and ended up clinging to the AC vent way up on the wall. Then, like some kind of cartoon, Merlin flew out of his cage and landed on Percy's and just... looked up at him. Like, "Uh, what're you doing up there?" He made a few cautious little chirps, and flew back into his own cage. And Percy followed him! They have shared a cage ever since. That's a little faster than some people go, but with two baby boys I didn't have to worry about hormones or territorial aggression. Percy wasn't tame, but he's naturally very ... chill. While Merlin is a tame but has no chill whatsoever.

Merlin did have an unsure expression at the time, as if to say "Hey wait a second, this is my stuff!" but I switched out his favorite toys for new ones and kept moving their perches if I saw them bickering. He had Percy eating pellets by day one or two and on my hand by at least day three! I think they will definitely show you if they want to be together. Mine had also been able to hear each other for some time, so Percy was desperate to find the bird he'd been hearing. Plus Percy was flighted and HATED the cage he was in, he was very obviously the kind of budgie (in my inexperienced option) that I would not even bother trying to tame in the cage-- he needed the agency of flying around the room and deciding when to trust on his own terms, putting my hand in the cage didn't do much. The upside of this was that he never saw it as "home" and saw Merlin's habitat as a preferable roost.

clarousel

So happy for you! Hope those mites bite the dust so they can be introduced soon.

That is exactly what happened with Merlin and Percy. Percy flew around desperate to get out and be with Merlin, not noticing the open cage door for several minutes. As soon as he noticed, he shot around the room and ended up clinging to the AC vent way up on the wall. Then, like some kind of cartoon, Merlin flew out of his cage and landed on Percy's and just... looked up at him. Like, "Uh, what're you doing up there?" He made a few cautious little chirps, and flew back into his own cage. And Percy followed him! They have shared a cage ever since. That's a little faster than some people go, but with two baby boys I didn't have to worry about hormones or territorial aggression. Percy wasn't tame, but he's naturally very ... chill. While Merlin is a tame but has no chill whatsoever.

Merlin did have an unsure expression at the time, as if to say "Hey wait a second, this is my stuff!" but I switched out his favorite toys for new ones and kept moving their perches if I saw them bickering. He had Percy eating pellets by day one or two and on my hand by at least day three! I think they will definitely show you if they want to be together. Mine had also been able to hear each other for some time, so Percy was desperate to find the bird he'd been hearing. Plus Percy was flighted and HATED the cage he was in, he was very obviously the kind of budgie (in my inexperienced option) that I would not even bother trying to tame in the cage-- he needed the agency of flying around the room and deciding when to trust on his own terms, putting my hand in the cage didn't do much. The upside of this was that he never saw it as "home" and saw Merlin's habitat as a preferable roost.
Oh my Patches sounds very much like Percy!

Preeno and Patches call to each other but the funny thing is Preeno doesn't seem to know it's another bird?! The few times he got into Patches' room he didn't seem to realise its another bird making the noise. Patches is definitely dying to get out - he's escaped many times and I feel so bad for catching him so I can't wait to move him into the bigger cage so it's less frightening for him.

Thanks for sharing the cute and funny story! It gives me reassurance that things would go well :D