• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pascal

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Monaco

Because of the fresh diet and the way food is processed in the proventriculus (The proventriculus is the first region of a bird's stomach between the crop and the gizzard. Izn most birds the proventriculus is narrow, but in ekkies it is very elastic) this slows the emptying times- which if there is not adequate hextrose, water and acid- food doesnt move quickly enough, and can actually somewhat spoil. (this is the simplest I can explain it)

If the breath smells like 'overly ripe fruit' this could mean bacteria or fungus has built up somewhere near the top of the digestive tract. But unlike other comon infections it will not alter the look of the droppings- but instead cause irritation (even itching- like a vaginal yeast infection on your face). It is natural for breath to change somewhat after eating, but it should quickly dissipate.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@reffek94

Any new furniture? new rug?
Do you live in an apartment or house?

(I know these questions sound trivial)

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@reffek94

Any new furniture? new rug?
Do you live in an apartment or house?

(I know these questions sound trivial)
No new furniture or rug. We live in a house. I've been trying to think of anything that has changed or anything new coming in but I cant think of anything!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I think it might be compounded. Any pin feathers at all around the nares.... or on the body?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
No new furniture or rug. We live in a house. I've been trying to think of anything that has changed or anything new coming in but I cant think of anything!
Did you have your cockatoo previous to your ekkie?

Edit: *prior

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Well that says a lot in my opinion....
The sneezing started just a few weeks ago (3-5 weeks?)?

Im looking at timeline- spot me if im incorrect:
Had cockatoo in home
Obtained Pascal
Months later Pascal developed an issue around the nares/respiratory?
Took Pascal to vet- no conclusive info- just that you have old world, new world in the same home and that was the cause.

If so, that is why i believe it is compounded. There is another factor that needs to be figured out IMO.
COVID happened about the same time- have you been cooking more in the home?
I know Dimitiri is EXTREMELEY sensitive to my hubbies favorite food: onions. When I cook onions in a pan or the oven- Dimitri scratches insistently at his nares and sneezes. But this is my guy- yours may have environmental that is unique?

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
On 4/8 you introduced new food- are you still feeding it?

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
On 4/8 you introduced new food- are you still feeding it?
I do still feed him that as a treat! I didn't even think about that.. i guess because it is all natural and organic stuff it didn't even cross my mind!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
After lack of showers for the last few days- how is the sneezing?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Do you have central air? or air conditioning?
When is the last time you changed the filters?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
How about baby powder- you have a young human, yes?
(baby powder is extremely irritating to ekkies)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Baby powder isn't even good for babies. It can cause respiratory problems in people and thus I would assume ALL birds, not just ekkies.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Do you have central air? or air conditioning?
When is the last time you changed the filters?
We have central air.. we change the filter regularly because I have severe asthma! I dont use baby powder because of all the issues it can cause.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
So you have had no adverse reaction to the cockatoo with severe asthma?
The very protein in their dust that aggravates humans also aggravates birds (old world vs new world). You have the HEPA filters? etc. That leads me to believe it is something else- Im looking at dietary again. Im looking back and thinking.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So you have had no adverse reaction to the cockatoo with severe asthma?
The very protein in their dust that aggravates humans also aggravates birds (old world vs new world). You have the HEPA filters? etc. That leads me to believe it is something else- Im looking at dietary again. Im looking back and thinking.
I do struggle with it a lot. I vacuum constantly and run air purifiers and change filters regularly. I have inhalers and medications to help me control my asthma! I dont know what I was thinking getting one of the dustiest birds out there :loltears:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sorry for the late reply... I had surgery, and my mind was else ware.

I honestly do not believe it is your cockatoo- Im thinking it is an allergy to either a toy, or food. I would recomend the exclusion diet I recomended, but furthermore, Identify the toys. Something as simple as this below- ALL similar to this needed to be removed as it made every Ekkie Sneeze I have ever had (and a few amazons). They produce a large quantity of fine dust particles is my assumption, which when chewed irritates the nares of the sensitive bird- Do you have anything similar to this?

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 10.28.48 AM.png

What are you using for toys?