• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrot toe injured

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
Yesterday I was trimming my conures wings which our vet recommended us doing. As I was doing so his foot got in the way and it cut above his nail. I was immediately panicking and called my vet while using some baby powder which was the only thing I had on hand to stop the bleeding. He didn’t lose a lot of blood but when I got the vet they had to use some sort of liquid bandage/ skin glue to adhere the nail and the the first joint of the foot together. He loves to play with his feet so we had to splint two of his fingers including the wounded one for extra stability and also gave him a neck cone. He would not eat with the neck cone on so instead we took it off and I had to put a doll skirt on like like a shawl on him preventing him from reaching his injured foot (I consistently cut any lose threads and his new neck cone is coming this Saturday.) He was obviously in pain and since it was a nasty cut there was a possibility it could get infected so my vet prescribed him a pain reliever and antibiotic. He slept with the improvised neck cone and the splint but he was able to get the splint off since I’m guessing it loosened up while he was sleeping and when he was walking it fell off. I called my vet once again to ask about what to do and they said to just take the splint off altogether since the wound had already scabbed up and is in the healing process (I emailed the office a picture of his foot.) One thing I noticed is that the skin above the nail is healing crookedly, he is lifting his foot up as normal like my vet said he would do and he doesn’t seem to be in excruciating pain. I just don’t want this to turn into a bigger issue as he has already been through a lot in the last 24 hours I plan to call my vet again. I attached pictures down below, any advice will be appreciated. NOTE: He has been in eating and drinking well as he should with his meds he is just nibbling on the skirt we attached to him but he is fine other than that. We also improvised his cage setup and added a fat soft mat so that if he fell he wouldn’t fall on the hard steel bars and injure himself further. He has my other bird mango in the cage with him but they have not been sleeping together and I keep an eye out to make sure Mango doesn’t touch his improvised cone or his injury.

Attachments