• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Rescue visit tomorrow!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No offense, but your old world birds are only budgies. The amount of dust they put off is pretty small. Besides, lots of folks manage old and new world birds. An air filter will help a lot! :tup: It's totally doable. Just minimize it as best you can; you'll see how livable it is.:heart2: I occasionally have all three birds on me for short periods (not intentionally as I dread mixing beak sizes) but it's not long enough to affect him. Sometimes when I'm with the girls, Buzzard decides to climb down onto the floor and I have to pick him up long enough to convince (bribe) him to return to his playstand. :meh:

We actually run 2 air filters. 1 by the goffins girls' day cage & the other by Buzzard's. We also run a third, smaller one in the bedroom by the girls' night cage for our benefit as well. You won't believe how much more clearly you can breathe, bird dust notwithstanding. :joyful:

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
None taken! They aren't 75 grams combined...

I purchased 2 HEPA air purifiers a couple of months ago (one for my room, and a much larger one for near the budgies' cage).

Do you keep the day cages in separate rooms and let them into a common room or area for out-of-cage time?

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Quakers are considered new world, right?

We used to have two parakeets and a quaker, their cages were right next to each other - never had issues with the Quaker.

Aves

Quakers are new world.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't know if there are any hard fast guidelines for it. I figure as long as they're far enough away for the filters to get the dust before the big guy does you should be fine. Originally our dining room, living room and den were all one big room in the apartment. We kept Buzz & the green cheeks in the dining room (sans table, so not a dining room?) and the 'toos in the den on the other end. Their out of cage time was spent mostly in the living room so the 2-filter solution was more of a need than a preference, but it seemed sufficient.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We used to have two parakeets and a quaker, their cages were right next to each other - never had issues with the Quaker.
While the dustiness is a concern between all new & old world birds, I think the issue is compounded by the longer lifespans of some species like macaws. A quaker may pass from any number of reasons without the damage to their air sacs becoming apparent.

@Hankmacaw knows a lot more about this.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a two story house, and I can't imagine putting either the budgies or the conure upstairs. The only other room in the house where I could keep a new bird separately is the guest bedroom downstairs. But it's a guest room that I would like to use for family visiting. I was planning to use it for the quarantine period. But I can't ask family to sleep in the same room with a conure since none of them are bird people.

If I move one of the cages into the family room, it is separated by the kitchen from the rest of the main floor. But then nothing could happen in that part of the house once it was lights out for the budgies.

This is kind of a nightmare of my own stupidity!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
While the dustiness is a concern between all new & old world birds, I think the issue is compounded by the longer lifespans of some species like macaws.
The issue is that some new world birds have a sensitivity to the powder down of the old world birds. That sensitivity usually doesn't show itself until irreparable damage has been done. Some birds, maybe most, will be fine, others won't.

I may be wrong, but I have never considered Budgies, Lovies or Cockatiels to be the threat. My thoughts always go to mixing African Greys or Cockatoos with New World as the possible threat.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Again, we have a macaw and 2 'toos in the same house, on the same floor with overlapping common areas. If it puts your mind at ease, many of our members have mixed flocks. As long as you do your best by your birds, you won't be a pariah or anything. :bluhug:

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
At the rescue center - were the Cockatiels and Conure in the same room?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The birds at the rescue are separated by size for the most part. There are two public rooms. One contains the toys, food, merchandise and the birds like budgies, cockatiels, quakers, a dusky conure, Rocky, and a senegal. The other room is really only for the larger birds and potential adopters to get acquainted with specific birds. This room has the Macaws, an umbrella cockatoo, a goffins cockatoo, a couple of amazons, an african grey, and a white-capped pionus. There were sun conures in that room at one time, but I'm guessing they have gone to their forever home.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See you wanted the blue and gold macaw! You can adopt both the macaw and the Conure!
And what would I do with the budgies? Then I'd potentially be endangering the health of two birds....

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
And what would I do with the budgies? Then I'd potentially be endangering the health of two birds....
I was just saying it as a joke actually. Also I tend to forget that you have 2 budgies. Sorry.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just saying it as a joke actually. Also I tend to forget that you have 2 budgies. Sorry.
I’m the one who should be and is sorry. Forgive me, please, I’m very unhappy right now. But, I will call the rescue center and my vet this week and see what they have to say

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I’m the one who should be and is sorry. Forgive me, please, I’m very unhappy right now. But, I will call the rescue center and my vet this week and see what they have to say
Great idea! They will put your mind at ease, I'm certain. :hug8: