• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Rescue visit tomorrow!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Green cheeks, black capped, maroon bellied, crimson bellied conures, etc are part of the Pyrrhura genus. I think they're a bit smaller than most other conures like the aratingas and nandays, etc. I found that picture of The Parrot Lady when I was searching for their size. :)
.....and couldn't resist using it, could you! Lol!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cherry headed conures actually belong to the genus Psittacara!!!! :roflmao: This includes pretty much almost all of the big red headed conure species. (not all, but most!)

Formerly Aratinga. ;)

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Cherry headed conures actually belong to the genus Psittacara!!!! :roflmao: This includes pretty much almost all of the big red headed conure species. (not all, but most!)

Formerly Aratinga. ;)
Thanks! Gee, I had to look up the changes. I missed that. Happened in 2013.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a handsome man. Those eyes are mesmerizing.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone! I have two more scheduled visits, and I still have to take more pictures of the setup I will have for him in my home. Sort of a virtual home visit. I bought a Kings Cage Co. XL flight cage from them and brought it home (some assembly required, lol). It was a wrestling match getting that big box into the back seat of my little car! :laugh:

He won't come home with me unless they feel that he and I are both prepared and comfortable with one another to the greatest extent possible. So, he may not be here until I return from a quick Christmas trip to visit my father and sister. I don't think it would be a good idea to leave him here with my neighbor to care for or the pet sitting service I use that soon after he arrives here, and I would absolutely not stress him by taking him on this trip--because I'm flying commercial (unless the states shut down and I can't make the trip).

@Ripshod I think this little one is going to "give me run for my money" as the saying goes here in the States! He's going to teach me so much! And I'm hoping I can give him the life he deserves :)

And yes, his eyes are what won me over :swoon:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just looked up all the genuses/ genera (not sure which is right). Very handsome groups of birds & the split sounds quite recent for two of them - we have so much to learn. :)

& it said that the cherry headed conures are the best talkers of the conures! I wonder if Opi has some vocabulary.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just looked up all the genuses/ genera (not sure which is right). Very handsome groups of birds & the split sounds quite recent for two of them - we have so much to learn. :)

& it said that the cherry headed conures are the best talkers of the conures! I wonder if Opi has some vocabulary.
He hasn't said any words around me, yet. And my rep at the rescue did not mention him being a talker. We'll see!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My cherry head I actually got *RIGHT* before Christmas! The person who had him even named him Noel! I don't know how old he was for sure, only that his first(?) home he was attacked by a ferret, then lived in another home, severely misunderstood, for around 5 years before coming to me. I can't say I truly ever understood him either, but we did come to a bit of an understanding, if you will. He was never really hands on, cuddly, goofy, nothing you read about in conures. He also never spoke a word. Despite that, he still held a treasured place in my heart. :heart:

Since he couldn't fly, I did take him outside to his favorite apple tree. Sometimes, I would take him on a walk around the neighborhood. Although he really wasn't hands on and didn't enjoy extended human interaction (1-3 minutes and he wanted back 'home'), he wasn't completely hands off, either. He did have some health issues, but nothing that could be pinpointed.

Rocky looks like a special little guy. I would say to not expect too much of him, like Noel. He may never be what is described as "conure", but he will still be a little feathered treasure. :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is a special bird, and I’m not going to place any expectations or limitations on what our relationship will become. I know all birds are individuals, and I’m looking forward to knowing this little guy better! :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really broken hearted thinking about this....I got the new cage out of the box and cleaned up ready to assemble.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Hmmm....

Last edited: