• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot at Night is Stubborn

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
My green cheek conure is very intelligent, despite being only 6 months old, he knows over 10 tricks/commands. However, by the time 6 or 7 pm rolls around, my baby parrot does not listen to even the simplest of commands. Is this something most parrot owners must accept, their companion is just stubborn, no aggression or biting, during the night?

8 am - 6 pm: acrobatic, lovely bird who's goal is to constantly get attention and please with tricks

6 pm - 8 pm: does not want to be touched or held. Refuses to partake in any stimulation activities like tricks.

Thus far, I have just respected his time of not wanting anyone at night, but I fear this is an underlying health issue or a gateway to aggression

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Both my birds tend to become quieter at about the same time most of the outside birds are going quiet and finding where they’re gonna roost for the night.
Maybe your bird is getting tired and just settling down for the night earlier than you think he should?
I don’t really know but that is my guess.
@Monica what do you think?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My green cheek conure is very intelligent, despite being only 6 months old, he knows over 10 tricks/commands. However, by the time 6 or 7 pm rolls around, my baby parrot does not listen to even the simplest of commands. Is this something most parrot owners must accept, their companion is just stubborn, no aggression or biting, during the night?

8 am - 6 pm: acrobatic, lovely bird who's goal is to constantly get attention and please with tricks

6 pm - 8 pm: does not want to be touched or held. Refuses to partake in any stimulation activities like tricks.

Thus far, I have just respected his time of not wanting anyone at night, but I fear this is an underlying health issue or a gateway to aggression
At 6 months he's still a youngster. If he's had all the attention, stimulation and play time from 8 am to 6 pm he's had all that he's wanted and ready to rest and do his own thing after 6pm even if it's nothing. I would continue to respect his lack of desire to interact the rest of the evening. This may very well change as he matures. Our lives change as we age... so do theirs. You'll have hormones coming up in a few months so don't be surprised if one day he decides to forgo a trick or command and bite you instead. Keep up the good work during the daytime in teaching tricks... a busy bird is a happy bird. Just know when it's time to quit when he loses interest and let him be or give him something fun to do on his own like a shreddable toy or something to tinker with.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds get cranky and uninterested in things around 6:00 or so. They go to bed around 7:00, but if they had their way they would go to bed earlier. I think as others have already mentioned, your bird is probably just tired and wants to do his own thing before settling in for the night.

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the insight, glad to hear this isn't an unusual thing or underlying health issue. My bird has been absolutely lovely and having only owned budgies before, which are quite the opposite of him, being not really human birds but moreso liking other budgies. I consider myself quite inexperienced. With my budgies, I was just their caregiver, they could step up and down. But, mainly were just a lovely sight seeing them fly and be happy amongst themselves. While a GCC is very much clingy to me, making me feel sometimes underqualified. Glad this forum exists so I can continue to read and sometimes post to learn more.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
My bird is the same and I have always conmected it to him having his dinner and then wanting to settle for the night at that time, which is usually in the wrong place so I have to do all kinds of trickery to convince him to step up to go to his bed.
:bounce4: :bounce4:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My mitred doesn't care what time or day it is, he'd rather be glued to me!

Cockatiels are notorious for being cranky at night, my own no exception! Although I've got two that are kind of quirky! They'll both hiss at me at first, but then get over the fit and one asks for scritches where-as the other one wants to sing to me! (no touch! just sing!)

I agree with the others, likely normal behavior! :) If you see any changes though, then something else might be up!