• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parents want to clip my GCC's wings

tropicdragon

Moving in
With the holidays and moving cross country due to a job, things have been extremely hectic here, and my GCC Gordi has been on a lot of roadtrips all over the place. Additionally, he is male and is almost two years old which I believe adds a hormonal factor to it. I believe it is just a hectic time that has coincided with his hormones, and as a result he has been biting really hard. (I believe that on the roadtrips he doesn't always get the best sleep as well.) Mind you, he is normally a very sweet bird but certain days he will just latch on and bite. Then the next day he will be normal and he will kind of oscillate between these two behaviors. Since, I am moving across the country I have to find a place to live first before I can bring Gordi as a result I have opted to leaving him with my parents for a week or two while I find a home. Unfortunately, he has been acting really aggressive. However, his aggressiveness is never exhibited through his flight. When he flies its usually because someone left the room and he doesn't want to be alone so he flies to their shoulder. He usually bites when he is sitting on someone's chest or when someone tries to put him back in the cage. As a result, I have told my parents not to place him anywhere near their faces during this time until things get settled, but they haven't done so.

This Saturday I will arrive at my new city, and my parents will be flying in for the first couple of days to help me out. As a result, Gordi will be at a parrot hotel for half a week since we have no one to look after him. At the parrot hotel my parents explained to the owner how he was acting out recently. The owner told them that it was because my bird is flighted and he feels really independent, and that we should consider clipping his wings. My parents called me to ask me to consider clipping his wings. I told them I would not because his aggression to me seems less about "independence" and more about dependence and hormones because he doesn't like being in his cage ever and away from his "flock". My parents then told me that I don't have as much experience with parrots as the woman from the parrot hotel, and that the bites are painful. Anyway, I decided it was worth it to ask other parrot owners to see what everyone thinks.

Is my bird acting out because he is flighted? I love Gordi and I want to do what is best for him.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
No, your birds behavior has nothing to do with being flighted at all! I'm sorry you were given such terrible advice. Clipping his wings could likely result in injury as he tries to fly and can't sustain air, and could crash into things. And he will not be a happy bird, resulting in further behavior issues.

You'll get a lot of advice about avoiding bites and teaching birds about personal space. Don't let him on you of he doesn't behave etc.

But if your parents won't listen to you about the advice then they will likely get bit.

This is how I explain it to people. Imagine a two year old who can't talk. They want to do something or they want something or they want something to change. They are trying to tell you. You aren't understanding because they can't directly tell you. Meanwhile your just sitting there with him on your shoulder while he's getting more and more frustrated about what he wants. So he bites you.

Mine will bite me if he's on me for a while to let me know how bored he is. Or if I him on my hand and I'm talking to someone he bites me to let me know he's tired of just standing here talking! Now I rarely get bit because I understand I can't hold him for long periods, can't pet him to much or he gets annoyed etc.

Your bird is giving off body language but it's hard to get the hang of it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Being flighted is much better for a bird both physically and mentally.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would expect your bird to bite MORE if he were clipped due to added frustrations

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
This is an old school mentality, I’ve heard a groomer say that birds get attitude when they’re flighted and that as soon as you clip them they’re much better birds. It’s nonsense, but the beliefs about wing clipping all are. It’s completely within your rights to keep your bird in full flight, that just means the hotel won’t be letting him out of his cage.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I just wanted to add that I would just have your parents and the bird hotel people leave your bird caged while you are moving. This would be for a couple of weeks or so, right? I think it would be much better to just leave him in rather than have other people handle him who may not react very well to your birds behavior.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
YOUR way of thinking is more correct than the woman at the bird hotel.
I totally agree that if people don't understand how to handle Gordi correctly and safely he would be better off staying in the cage for the short time you will be apart.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I just wanted to point out that it seems like a very drastic measure to take for a situation that is not going to last very long. Especially to accommodate the people in that situation. Seems excessive to add to his stress.

tropicdragon

Moving in
I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments being made on here. I just wanted to show my parents that there are plenty of people who agree with me on how clipping is actually detrimental to the bird. So if anyone else has anything else to say about it keep it coming.

As far as Gordi's body language...Gordi and I have our own sign language that only I and another friend (this is the friend who usually takes care of Gordi while I am away, but he is currently in Japan) understand. Gordi will usually use a number of foot movements and beak taps to convey what he wants. For example, Gordi can poop on command when placed over a toilet. However, when he doesn't need to poop and I put him over the toilet he will usually give my hand a tap. When he wants to climb on my head he will wave his foot back and forth and look at my head etc. I noticed when he is around people who don't understand these cues he will get frustrated.

I was afraid that this was probably the case with Gordi and my parents, but I did notice that he was behaving rather strangely and his aggression was different than usual. His bites (which would draw blood) seemed to be brought on by nothing at all. We would not even be touching him and he would sometimes run towards hands or faces and bite very hard. Occasionally, he would get this glazed-over feral look in his eyes which I had never seen before a month ago. In one of the weirdest moments, he lifted both his wings up and his eyelids were twitching like he was in ecstasy. I don't know how else to explain it other than that, haha. I have just chalked this all up to hormones considering his age and the time of the year? Also the fact that I am moving and he doesn't have a stable environment probably does't help. I am probably just going to try to be as understanding as possible during this hormonal period and expect that he will get over it by summer? Not sure if anyone has any insight on that.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I agree that it would be much better for your bird to be kept caged while with these other inexperienced people. It is only a short time in comparison to the amount of time it will take for your bird to molt and regrow his flights.
It is not safer for your bird or the people looking after him for your bird to be clipped- the people involved will likely have to handle your bird more often to help him after crashing to the floor.....this is when he is likely to be even more confused, frightened and frustrated so will be more likely to bite due to being in such a helpless situation.
Clipping is not the answer and never will be!
This lady may run a bird hotel but that does not mean she is an expert on bird health and behavior.....it really only that means she is the host at a bird hotel! If she was a parrot behavior expert she would be offering services for training not boarding!!

Follow your heart- this is your bird who you know better than anyone does, do you feel it is in his best interest to loose his right to fly? Do you think it will benefit him or make him happier in any way?

I wish you all the best......it is so difficult when you are put in a spot like this one :)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with you here, you shouldn't get his wing clipped. Where I live there are very few vets who will do it, it's considered unnecessary to say the very least.

It might be that your parents and the hotel owner could be dismissive of replies on a forum. Maybe some members can link some good articles against wing clipping???

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
have your parents read this

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
With the holidays and moving cross country due to a job, things have been extremely hectic here, and my GCC Gordi has been on a lot of roadtrips all over the place. Additionally, he is male and is almost two years old which I believe adds a hormonal factor to it. I believe it is just a hectic time that has coincided with his hormones, and as a result he has been biting really hard. (I believe that on the roadtrips he doesn't always get the best sleep as well.) Mind you, he is normally a very sweet bird but certain days he will just latch on and bite. Then the next day he will be normal and he will kind of oscillate between these two behaviors. Since, I am moving across the country I have to find a place to live first before I can bring Gordi as a result I have opted to leaving him with my parents for a week or two while I find a home. Unfortunately, he has been acting really aggressive. However, his aggressiveness is never exhibited through his flight. When he flies its usually because someone left the room and he doesn't want to be alone so he flies to their shoulder. He usually bites when he is sitting on someone's chest or when someone tries to put him back in the cage. As a result, I have told my parents not to place him anywhere near their faces during this time until things get settled, but they haven't done so.

This Saturday I will arrive at my new city, and my parents will be flying in for the first couple of days to help me out. As a result, Gordi will be at a parrot hotel for half a week since we have no one to look after him. At the parrot hotel my parents explained to the owner how he was acting out recently. The owner told them that it was because my bird is flighted and he feels really independent, and that we should consider clipping his wings. My parents called me to ask me to consider clipping his wings. I told them I would not because his aggression to me seems less about "independence" and more about dependence and hormones because he doesn't like being in his cage ever and away from his "flock". My parents then told me that I don't have as much experience with parrots as the woman from the parrot hotel, and that the bites are painful. Anyway, I decided it was worth it to ask other parrot owners to see what everyone thinks.

Is my bird acting out because he is flighted? I love Gordi and I want to do what is best for him.
It might come across as a rude question for your parents but ask them how much they'd like to have their mobility restricted because "they might get lost in a new city" for example; taking away their driving privileges. You are Gordi's mom/dad and you have more experience with Gordi than the lady at the parrot hotel. And don't hesitate to reinforce the "As a result, I have told my parents not to place him anywhere near their faces during this time until things get settled, but they haven't done so."

He is feeling the stress and tension of moving just as much as you and your parents and you may have to explain that to them. Being in a new place temporarily until he can be reunited with you will also be stressful for him in spite of your best care and intentions. If you have to call the parrot hotel and tell the lady in no uncertain terms that you do not want nor will permit his wings to be clipped in any way, shape or fashion. Failure to follow your instructions could lead to a detrimental write up of the business. I'm hoping t isn't the Parrot Hotel from AA. Stick to your guns, it is your bird and you determine how he should be treated, no ifs, ands or buts.

tropicdragon

Moving in
Yes, if I am asked my personal opinion about clipping Gordi's wings I think that it is a gross over-reaction that won't even actually address the problem (which in my opinion is his hormones) and will actually end up being detrimental to him (less exercise + inability to follow the flock around the house).

And knowing his personality, I know he would probably end up biting more because he would get frustrated about people leaving the room without him and him being unable to follow us like he usually does.

Of course, if there are any articles anyone knows about feel free to post them here! I really appreciate it!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The hotel suggested it? Really? Someone who gets paid to look after birds short term wants you to clip your bird for their convenience?
Frankly I'd be looking for another hotel, one that has your bird's interests at heart.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The owner told them that it was because my bird is flighted and he feels really independent, and that we should consider clipping his wings.
I wanted to address this bit in particular. Independence in a parrot is good. It's a good thing that a parrot is able to move around independently, to fly to a favourite person or different perch, or to get away from a person or place or situation if they want to. It is mentally healthy for them to be able to exercise that choice. In our homes, a parrot has so little choice - we decide for them what they eat and when, we decide when they come out of their cage, we decide when they go back in their cage, we decide when they go to bed, we decide what toys to offer them and where they are placed. Flight allows them at least a bit of independence and freedom, and is one of the best things we can do for their physical and mental health.

Clipping a parrot's wings won't make them tamer or more docile. It makes them helpless. They are forced to depend on you, and often find this a frightening and frustrating experience. Gordie will be unable to remove himself from a person or situation if he's uncomfortable, and is more likely to resort to biting to express his unhappiness.

It sounds like you and Gordie have some excellent communication going on. Keep working on that aspect, and learn to read this new behaviour as you do his more established behaviours.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yes, if I am asked my personal opinion about clipping Gordi's wings I think that it is a gross over-reaction that won't even actually address the problem (which in my opinion is his hormones) and will actually end up being detrimental to him (less exercise + inability to follow the flock around the house).

And knowing his personality, I know he would probably end up biting more because he would get frustrated about people leaving the room without him and him being unable to follow us like he usually does.

Of course, if there are any articles anyone knows about feel free to post them here! I really appreciate it!
I'll also mention this from having had a gcc w/clipped wings - it doesn't stop them. They are light enough that they can still fly, especially if they already knew how to but it takes a little more effort.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I would agree that clipping his wings would do little to improve things. But what I really want to say is that I absolutely love the handle you chose! :birdance: they really are little dragons lol