• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeets and canaries?

alegx

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ale
Hi! I've had a pet canary for a few years now. When the weather's nice, we let his cage out in our garden. Usually, a lot of birds flock nearby because my lil baby canary is a very messy eater, but today I came home and found a blue parakeet latching on to his cage for dear life. It was obviously spooked when we approached, but it wasn't very hard to catch. We put him in the cage with our canary for the time being because it looked very tired and hungry (it immediately got to eating for good twenty minutes straight). Obviously, I know these birds are usually pets and don't survive long in the wild, so we just want to help it. It clearly isn't a good flier (it tried to run away from me but got tired very fast, and could only go so high), and it kept coming back to my canary's cage as if it associated the cage with safety, I guess? I mean, obviously, this bird used to have a home.

My question is, should we separate the parakeet and the canary? I've put up posts in my neighborhood's groups to try to find an owner but no luck so far, so we might as well just keep it. I just don't want both birds to harm each other. I do have some previous experience with bigger parrot species, but I've never had to care for two different bird species at once.

ALSO, I think it's worth mentioning that my canary's cage is fairly big (big as in, he has two swings, three perches and has plenty of extra space). I put them together for now because I was obviously not expecting a second bird and it seemed like the best solution, but again, don't want to stress out either bird. I do realize just shoving them into the same space so quickly may not have been the best idea, but I've been monitoring them closely for the past few hours and they seem to be doing fine. Just gotta know if this cage arrangement is viable for the long-term or if I should look for a second cage.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
Generally, before introducing a new bird it's best to quarantine it away from the other bird for about a week or so, to avoid spreading germs that the budgie could have picked up from elsewhere. This will also make the move less stressful, and allow you to start to bond. I would keep them in sight of each other, so that they can interact with each other when they are outside the cage. Since they are different bird species, I would cage them separately personally.

I hope that this was helpful ;)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This isn't ideal. You have no idea what diseases the budgie has been exposed to, and now your canary has been exposed too. At this point any hope of quarantine has already been broken so you'll just have to be extremely alert to any changes in behaviour and signs of illness over the coming days and weeks.

Hookbills have much more powerful beaks than softbills, and the parakeet could seriously injure your canary. They could fight for all sorts of reasons - access to food, access to water, a perch or toy... Please separate them as soon as possible.