• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painted New Cage

Chauxcifer

Moving in
Real Name
Steven Barcenes
Ok, this might just be me freaking out and being too much of a worry wart but I want to hear from others! I found a cage at my local pet store that was used, it’s a California cage but the outside was chipping and sections were rusting. They sold it to me for $100 and I thought this was a steal! I spent about 2 months getting the darn thing sanded and then painted with Rustoleum Oil Based enamel paint, I mixed the satin white and dark grey together to make a grey color I liked. I read that the rustoleum paint is really safe when completely dry so after about 2 coats, I let it dry for almost a month. Tonight I put it in the living room and decked it out with his favorite things, and he loves it. Buuuuut he is already chewing the bars and managed to strip a little bit of paint. So now I’m freaking out because he’s inevitable going to ingest the paint and even though it’s ultra low VOC and supposedly safe, I bet paint is bad no matter what. And I read they can use Zinc in white paint too, but I couldn’t confirm this in the list of dangerous substances rustoleum has for products.
So now I’m just worried and don’t know whether I should keep this cage or cut my losses. I don’t have a ton of money to spend on another cage but I also don’t wanna lose my little buddy just because of chipped paint. Help!! Anyone else have experience with repainting cages with rustoleum enamel white paint?

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:bump7:
I don't believe paint is safe for birds. I think all cages are either powder-coated or bare stainless steel. But I think I've read there are places that will powder coat for a fee.

Do you still have his old cage?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have the same cage, dome top, for my macaw. Bought it new almost 24 years ago. CA cages were top of the line, but sadly went out of business many years ago.

I researched & found many use Rustoleum to repaint a cage, but I'd suggest contacting Rustoleum & ask them. They have so many different types of paints, some contain high levels of zinc, while others do not.

Chauxcifer

Moving in
Real Name
Steven Barcenes
:bump7:
I don't believe paint is safe for birds. I think all cages are either powder-coated or bare stainless steel. But I think I've read there are places that will powder coat for a fee.

Do you still have his old cage?
Yes, I do still have his old cage! I actually was so anxious last night I just put him back in his old cage, I think I’m going to cut my losses and just buy a new cage! Thanks for the reply!!

Chauxcifer

Moving in
Real Name
Steven Barcenes
I have the same cage, dome top, for my macaw. Bought it new almost 24 years ago. CA cages were top of the line, but sadly went out of business many years ago.

I researched & found many use Rustoleum to repaint a cage, but I'd suggest contacting Rustoleum & ask them. They have so many different types of paints, some contain high levels of zinc, while others do not.
That’s what I had read too! I wanted to call and ask them about this one specifically but after a lot of back and forth I’ve decided to just buy a new cage, so he’s back in his old cage for now! I’ll just use this cage to grow some plants, maybe grapes
Thanks for your reply!

jimhermann

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jim Hermann
I think all cages are either powder-coated or bare stainless steel. But I think I've read there are places that will powder coat for a fee.
Powder Coatings are paint without the solvent. They contains resins and pigments.

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
That’s what I had read too! I wanted to call and ask them about this one specifically but after a lot of back and forth I’ve decided to just buy a new cage, so he’s back in his old cage for now! I’ll just use this cage to grow some plants, maybe grapes
Thanks for your reply!
where are you at? did you sell the cage?