• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Other than seed

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I'm looking for food other than seed and pellet suggestions. Venus is my new parakeet and I'm looking for healthy veggies to use as treats. She has several problems so I want to avoid sunflower and millet as a treat. Anything veggie or fruit or maybe pasta?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Try them all and see what she likes. You can even try dehydrated fruit or finely chopped almond.

Also, treats don´t always have to be food. Head scratches, a bead or a simple ¨good bird¨ can also be used.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
With my budgies brocolli has always been first and string beans second on the 'must try' list (both raw). Pin some raw within easy reach of a favourite perch. Once they try them they can't stop. Dandelion flowers and red chilli's are also popular.
See if you can get her eating apple. Get them addicted then only use it as a treat.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I feed my two budgies what has a high degree of nutrition because I feel since there life is so short they deserve the best.

These are the pellets I feed: Small Beak – Goldn’obles III | Goldenfeast Direct

I also feed Goldenfeast Basic Plus seed and Australian blend.

Herb Salad which I buy on Amazon and my budgies really seem to like it.

I buy birdie bread mixes on Amazon as it is a good way to get the orange veggies for Vitamin A . I add to the mix carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin. (I remove the corn as I do not feed any corn at all to my birds)

I alternate the goldenfeast pellets with Harrisons Extra fine pellets.

As for the greens I feed a variety of veggies like carrots, kale, dandelion greens, romaine lettuce, broccoli, sprouts and what ever is looking fresh in the store.

So you see the bulk of my grocery bill is for bird food.