• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

opinions on na'ringa (my caique) gaining confidence?

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
Hey y'all! Wanted to pop in for some advice, things have been going well! Na'ringa has been gaining weight which is a relief because it means shes eating well! I weigh her every morning before she gets breakfast. I've had her for about a week and two days, when I got her she weighed 118 grams and today she weighed 123 grams!

She's been eating well and adjusting well, she takes baths in her bathing bowl in her cage, and also sits with me in the shower.

(She's gotten quite bold with her flying, she has flown across my room or to follow me if I go somewhere else, I'm glad that she has the instinct for flying despite them clipping her wings)

I'd say the only thing I need advice on is her gaining confidence with other surfaces, she is not a fan of her perch, but will stand on the kitchen counter if I'm preparing her breakfast. I understand this is still a very new environment, I was just wondering if yall have any suggestions for being more comfortable on places other than my shoulders.

She loves sitting on my shoulders, and is learning the game of climbing on my head and being instantly picked up since that is a no-no place for me. I have this nice box of foraging toys and natural chewable sticks and wicker toys, I have to direct her to it because she sometimes nibbles too hard on my ear because shes bored.

She loves the textures of all of the toys, but will only play in it if I set the box on my chest, since shes too nervous to be comfortable on the table or couch long enough to play. Shes been getting better with it, and actually played on my lap and chest yesterday which was a first, are there ways to get her accustomed to several surfaces or just slowly introduce based on her comfort levels?

I attempted to do target training with her, but she was too nervous to engage in it much since it was on her perch instead of my shoulders, I kept it brief because I didnt want her to have a negative experience or any frustration, should I just give her more time? She loves millet and nuts but not enough to relax on the perch quite yet, I just wanted to see if yall had any insight!

Shes as sweet as a pie and I've been having a blast with her, shes such a personality and has started chattering and singing to me when I get home, along with a few little dance sessions when shes really excited! There was one evening where it was warm enough to have her cage on my front porch for some sun, I've been thinking of getting her a UV bulb and warmers in case winter is rough this year as well!

20231120_170636.jpg

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
Hey y'all! Wanted to pop in for some advice, things have been going well! Na'ringa has been gaining weight which is a relief because it means shes eating well! I weigh her every morning before she gets breakfast. I've had her for about a week and two days, when I got her she weighed 118 grams and today she weighed 123 grams!

She's been eating well and adjusting well, she takes baths in her bathing bowl in her cage, and also sits with me in the shower.

(She's gotten quite bold with her flying, she has flown across my room or to follow me if I go somewhere else, I'm glad that she has the instinct for flying despite them clipping her wings)

I'd say the only thing I need advice on is her gaining confidence with other surfaces, she is not a fan of her perch, but will stand on the kitchen counter if I'm preparing her breakfast. I understand this is still a very new environment, I was just wondering if yall have any suggestions for being more comfortable on places other than my shoulders.

She loves sitting on my shoulders, and is learning the game of climbing on my head and being instantly picked up since that is a no-no place for me. I have this nice box of foraging toys and natural chewable sticks and wicker toys, I have to direct her to it because she sometimes nibbles too hard on my ear because shes bored.

She loves the textures of all of the toys, but will only play in it if I set the box on my chest, since shes too nervous to be comfortable on the table or couch long enough to play. Shes been getting better with it, and actually played on my lap and chest yesterday which was a first, are there ways to get her accustomed to several surfaces or just slowly introduce based on her comfort levels?

I attempted to do target training with her, but she was too nervous to engage in it much since it was on her perch instead of my shoulders, I kept it brief because I didnt want her to have a negative experience or any frustration, should I just give her more time? She loves millet and nuts but not enough to relax on the perch quite yet, I just wanted to see if yall had any insight!

Shes as sweet as a pie and I've been having a blast with her, shes such a personality and has started chattering and singing to me when I get home, along with a few little dance sessions when shes really excited! There was one evening where it was warm enough to have her cage on my front porch for some sun, I've been thinking of getting her a UV bulb and warmers in case winter is rough this year as well!

View attachment 437844
I forgot to mention that her confidence issues dont have anything to do with her cage, she is very comfortable in her cage eating and playing, and will go in there to eat during her outside time and then waddle to the edge of the cage when shes ready to come back out! She sleeps well in it, with her cover she doesnt make a peep, and loves playing with her toys in it when I'm not home!

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
I brought my sweet girl back to the bird store today to visit her siblings, there were happy chitters and regurgitation with her siblings. She flew from my shoulder a few times trying to interact with her siblings, I eventually let her hang with them while I got her some millet and new toys. I was afraid I broke her little heart when we had to leave, she contact called in the car for a bit, but after we got home and had dinner she was as snuggly and sweet as ever!

She was doing a bit better today, she was waddling around the apartment after me while I got ready, and got to socialize with my best friend and her old caretakers at the bird store. I know social interaction and exposure is what's best for her, but I admit sometimes I get jealous! I suppose I'm a helicopter mom, I always have been with my pets, but she had a great time socializing today after a bit of encouragement, shes inherently as stuck to me as I am to her! xD

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
She looks and sounds like a total sweetheart.:heart2:

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
She really is! Adjusting to having a bird has been a big change, but overall I'm having a blast with her, she is so sweet and intelligent, she is a total velcro bird and I love getting to see her get more and more comfortable with me! She is by no means a beginner bird, but I feel like she is the perfect girl for me, and I'm ready to go through ups and downs with her! I just hope she still loves me once she hits her hormonal stage lol, it's a long time away but I find myself worrying regardless