• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Open sore

Joye

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joy
My bird has this pretty big sore on the lower left side near it’s tail. What is this? And, any opinions on how this happened? A few years ago she plucked out all the feathers on her belly so she’s been bald which you’ll notice in the picture. She seems fine otherwise. Eating and drinking regularly. As well as bathing. And she’s still very active. Climbing all around her cage. I see her picking at it sometimes so I’d like to know how to treat it and cover it. I called vets today but there isn’t one in my area that works with birds. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you

Attachments

Joye

Real Name
Joy
My bird has this pretty big sore on the lower left side near it’s tail. What is this? And, any opinions on how this happened? A few years ago she plucked out all the feathers on her belly so she’s been bald which you’ll notice in the picture. She seems fine otherwise. Eating and drinking regularly. As well as bathing. And she’s still very active. Climbing all around her cage. I see her picking at it sometimes so I’d like to know how to treat it and cover it. I called vets today but there isn’t one in my area that works with birds. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you. I’ve never experienced this with any of my birds over the past 30 years.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's really hard to say how it happened.. could be self mutilation, could have caught or burned herself on something. Regardless, it needs to be bandaged and treated like a wound... Antibiotics etc. My vet is 90 minutes away, so I know that it's not always easy to find a local vet. What area of the world are you in?

Joye

Real Name
Joy
It's really hard to say how it happened.. could be self mutilation, could have caught or burned herself on something. Regardless, it needs to be bandaged and treated like a wound... Antibiotics etc. My vet is 90 minutes away, so I know that it's not always easy to find a local vet. What area of the world are you in?
Central NJ. Somerset County

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have some friends in NJ, I'll ask for some recommendations.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Alright this is what one friend said:

Your best bet is to get on parkway south and go to red bank animal hospital, certified avian vets, it'll be roughly a thirty minute drive Red Bank Veterinary Hospitals in Tinton Falls, New Jersey

They are open 24-7.

She took her bird there at 11pm and the avian vet wasn't there, but the vet on call got on zoom with her and she gave her recommendations.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Joy, Did you manage to contact the vet Mizzely posted?
That sore really needs looked at and treated. As already said for antibiotics, but also pain medication and treated to avoid risk of bacterial infections.
Hope your little one will be ok, sure looks painful :(