• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay, more questions about my Java Rice Finches

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
So, I finally had to cut their toe nails, my two finches nails were SO byond long. I hate the idea of grabbing them because I know it'll scare the living crap out of them. Had to though as allowing their toenails to continue to grow wasn't good for them. Fortunately I know how to trim the nails without any issues. I also am well aware that if the cage is open for any reason all exit routes to the outer world are closed. Problem occured when the first one I grabbed, trimmed nails of and put back flitted back out of the cage and was all a flutter in the house. Cornered her in a room and after a LONG game of I'm going to catch you, she was caught, checked over for any ouchies and put back in her cage. Didn't think they bit, but I have been corrected, doesn't hurt much but still...

I got to check the genders of both my birds as I was nail trimming. Pelvic exam for the win. I had guessed they were both female as neither one was even trying to "sing" and they're over 8 months old. They do a cute little pip chirp to each other and one is definitely the dominant of the two. So during the examination I felt for sure a gap on one and the other no gap so Female and Male. I really need to get one of those bracelets for them, or two in different colours so I can tell them apart as they're pretty much 100% looking the same at this point. So, first question is: what kind of bands should I get and from where? I want two different colours so I can identify them. Plus, how would I number them or whatever for identification purposes, or should I even bother? I have 0 ideas how small a bracelet little thing they'd need and I wouldn't want to get one too small.

Now, why hasn't the little boy been practicing his singing, is it normal for the males to NOT practice singing? Next, I want to get a 36" or so, wide, cage for them. I can't seem to find any real good looking/suitable ones. Anyone have a good place to buy the flight cages? I don't want those two stuck in a sub-par home. Any suggestions on perches to buy as I'm unsure which ones are "best" for them. I do want to give them the best life I can and right now their current home just isn't it. Should I bother with getting them toys and if so any suggestions? They do like playing a merry-go-round with the little tent I have for them, no nesting box as I don't want/need little babies.

They are fed a great mix of seeds, fresh fruit/veggies on rotation, tiny bit of calcium every 2 or 3 days. Vitamins added to water to ensure they're getting the correct vitamins/minerals that their food might not provide. Dishes are both washed and dried daily to ensure no icky stuff is left around to make for a breeding ground for bacteria. Cage is still covered on the two sides and back, partially on top to provide a more sheltered feeling. I don't bother them most of the day, just sit about 3 feet away at my desk and turn to look at them for a moment or two and then back to the work. I do think I'm going to need a UVB bulb or something as there's not really a sufficient amount of natural sunlight coming in through the window nearest them. Any suggestions on a setup for this? The cage has a peaked roof vs flat, so putting a bulb up there might be tricky. Also need to know how bright a bulb to put in the setup, don't wanna blind them.

Any suggestions, pointers or what nots, please feel free to share. I'm still figuring this out and appreciate anything you can advise. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Next, I want to get a 36" or so, wide, cage for them. I can't seem to find any real good looking/suitable ones.
You could get two 30x18x18 cages, and open the ends, and join them together with tie straps. I think @finchly has posted a pic of this before. It would give you a cage that is 60¨long, 18 deep and 18 tall.

As for bands, you need open bands (not closed bands as the birds are not chicks anymore). If you´re not planning on breeding again, simple coloured bands without numbers will be ok as long as they are made of safe material.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I really like EZ bands. They stretch, so they’re easy to put on and also no edges that can hurt them.

Cages: Do you want a tall cage? Like the PRevue Large or XL? I just sold one of my XLs, they have been a favorite.

For toys mine like bells (shiny) even tho my vet says no bells for birds. They also love to shred things, picking the thread out of the curtains is a fave but I give them raffia tied into knots and little squares of burlap about 1 inch square that they can tear apart. They also like to play in a box of straw or hay but sometimes that can make them nesty.