• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Occasional sneezing after nap—lovebird

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi all,
I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this type of sneezing with their birds before. I have a lovebird (almost 2 years later this month). Sometimes she wakes up from a nap sneezing and/or boogery. She makes tiny little sneeze sounds and shakes her head quickly. It’s been going on for a while (like many months to even years) and doesn’t happen every time, only occasionally. I’m wondering if that’s normal?

She’s been vaccinated, tested for common avian diseases, is seen by a vet at least annually, and is my only bird. I weigh her less frequently than I should but her weight hasn’t changed. We live in Miami, FL which is usually warm 70s-90s F but the last two weeks it’s been significantly colder, 60s-70s. I intend to take her for her annual visit and vaccines in March. Should she been seen sooner?

No other symptoms at all, behavior, eating, and sleep patterns are the same. Daily she eats colored pellets (haven’t been able to switch to uncolored), homemade chop (vegetables, grains, a few fruits) with greens and chia and flax seeds added daily, Zupreen pure fun treat mix, millet, and nutriberries and the occasional pinch of bread or cracker. Sleeps covered by a blanket and in a small sleep cage in my clothes closet for 12 or more hours nightly.

Pictures may or may not be relevant. Were taken last night in humid bathroom while I was taking a hot shower during a sneeze spell, after she had taken a nap. This was right before bedtime. I have a video too but can’t figure out how to share.

Thanks for the help! IMG_7902.jpeg IMG_7900.jpeg IMG_7901.jpeg IMG_7897.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Since you are concerned, why not just bump up her annual vet visit?
She is absolutely beautiful. I hope someone here has some ideas for you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried an air purifier? I'm not sure why she would only sneeze after a nap, though.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Since you are concerned, why not just bump up her annual vet visit?
She is absolutely beautiful. I hope someone here has some ideas for you.
Thank you so much❤❤

Yes, I think that’s the route I’ll decide to go! I was hoping to wait till March because I doubt her vaccines can be moved up by so much, but I do think it’s worth getting looked at. Will probably go next week if I can get an appointment.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Have you tried an air purifier? I'm not sure why she would only sneeze after a nap, though.
That’s a good idea!!! We have a couple in the house but haven’t been running them lately. I’ll give it a go!

I’m thinking maybe it’s because she buries her beak/face into her back feathers when she naps? Maybe it’s just condensation? Very strange

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What vaccines does she get? My bird has never been offered a vaccine!

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
What vaccines does she get? My bird has never been offered a vaccine!
She gets the APV vaccine (avian, Polyomavirus). My vet has told me before she doesn’t really need it because she’s an only bird but I like to get it for her because sometimes I send her to a sitter’s house who has two birds.

Just called in to her vet and she’s actually not due until May! So I should definitely go sooner.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Same! I was quite surprised. I didn’t even know there was such a thing.
I've heard of the APV Vaccine but always forget about it. And I didn't know it was yearly! Always learning!