• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Not Urgent But Concerned Mum) Blueberry's Breathing...

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
Hello, Everyone!

I posted earlier I believe last week about getting my new budgie, Blueberry. He's been doing fairly well and I'm allowing him to really get used to his surroundings while trying to get him on pellets.

However, I've noticed something a bit strange with his breathing. I was concerned about how his tail might be "bobbing" and if he had some sort of respiratory infection. I've not seen it in my other birds and considering I got him from a small shop with other budgies, I figure after settling in the symptoms of illness might be showing? I'm not very sure and would like your opinions!

Here's a video of Blueberry. Again, I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid and he's just still a bit scared with me around or if it's concerning:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't see your video. Says that it is unavailable.

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
@iamwhoiam whoops! Sorry about that, I believe I fixed it? It was set to private. Hope that works!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Yes, that is tail bobbing indicative of respiratory distress. A bird at rest shouldn't have such labored breathing. I would not hesitate to have him seen by a vet ASAP.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He has he flying around, super active?
If you are really concerned call avian vet for appt.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Blueberry is very definitely in respiratory distress - that is nothing to mess with. He could have an upper respiratory infection - either fungal or bacterial And he will need fungicides or antibiotics immediately. He needs to go to the vet right now.

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
@rocky'smom he is fairly active today, doing his little in place flapping and chirping. He eats fine and is very alert. I wasn't sure if what he was doing was considered "true" tailbobbing because he seems still a bit nervous with us around, I thought maybe he was just a bit scared. But this doesn't look normal if it's all the time. Will definitely try to find a vet near us!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
After watching the video 3 times I would say please see a avian vet

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Could he be too hot? It's great that you're looking to get him looked at, btw. :) I hope they can help the poor little guy.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's not normal, hes in respiratory distress, let us know how he does and get him checked , the sooner the better. :hug8:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Does he click when he breathes? I agree, vet pronto.

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
@finchly @Birdbabe @Garet thank you for your well wishes! I'm trying to find vets near me that take birds, but unfortunately no luck so far. The one place that seemed the best choice schedules 2-3 weeks out! I'll just have to keep looking. :sad9:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Charqee Do you have any regular vets near you? My vet isn't listed as an avian vet, but they have two avian vets who come in a couple of days a week. They were also able to put me in contact with a nearby AV when I had an emergency and needed guidance.

:goodluck:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Listen to @Hankmacaw as she knows more about a birds health than most of us. It appears to me Blueberry is struggling to breathe. Have you taken him to the vet yet? Hope he was quarantined.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Breathing that labored is an emergency. Does the place that schedules weeks out have an emergency policy? What if you just show up there with him?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry your new budgie seems sick, he’s awfully cute! Hopefully it’s just something that can be cleared up with the appropriate medication. It’s great that he’s acting okay otherwise. Maybe the vet has an emergency policy where they can see sick birds sooner like @enigma731 mentioned.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with others, vet time. Let the vet's office know the symptoms. You might have to be pushy and it's important they know that your bird is having difficulty breathing and can't wait a day or two or more to be examined.
If you let us know your approximate location perhaps someone can recommend a vet.
You can also search here: Association of Avian Veterinarians
Hope all will be OK with Blueberry.

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
Listen to @Hankmacaw as she knows more about a birds health than most of us. It appears to me Blueberry is struggling to breathe. Have you taken him to the vet yet? Hope he was quarantined.
Oh yes, he's been quarantined since the day I bought him. I wanted to be extra careful in case something happened, which I'm very glad I did considering his symptoms!

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, everyone, for your concern and advice! I found a place that can help him and I'm super relieved! I'm hoping I'm not too late :airplane:
When will he get to go?