• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

newfound sun conure aggression

nxptune

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
vannessa
my sun conure and i have been good friends for the past 9 months, since i got him. he is very friendly and sweet, let’s me pet him, he steps up and even preens me, etc. we are very close. well, i just moved into my dads house, and upon my sun conure meeting my dad, he was instantly gravitated toward him. my sun conure will fly to my dad, which is something he’s never done for me in 9 months of training a bonding. he’ll willingly fly away from me just to perch on my dad the second he sees him. and if i get close to my dad, he becomes very aggressive. now whenever i try to interact with my bird, (2 days since he has met my dad) he will be extremely aggressive and bite and refuse to be nice. he’d rather try to see if my ear is tearable. what the hell happened? why is my best friend of 9 months suddenly acting like i’m his worst enemy upon meeting a stranger? (to him) he loves my dad more than he ever did me, and i thought we got along excellently. my dad didn’t even do anything to win his favor either. he just saw my dad and decided “heck you” to me. what happened here?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is birds for ya!

Sounds like yours has chosen your dad to be his person.
Can’t explain why they choose who they choose, they just take a fancy to someone and there’s not always an obvious reason as to why they choose who they did.

Reactions: tka

nxptune

Real Name
vannessa
That is birds for ya!

Sounds like yours has chosen your dad to be his person.
Can’t explain why they choose who they choose, they just take a fancy to someone and there’s not always an obvious reason as to why they choose who they did.
should i just get rid of him then? my dad doesn’t want him and doesn’t appreciate this behavior, and i think it’s wise to not keep a pet that has been trying to attack you. unless there’s some alternative? i really don’t want to get rid of him, but all of our progress is basically forgotten now and we are back to square one just because he met someone new, and he’s worse than before

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No I do not think you "should just get rid of him", the only time I would ever recommend that is if the bird would be better cared for or happier with others which is not very often at all.
Am I right to assume you got this bird as a very young baby?

The alternative that is available to you and honestly will be the best thing to do is to spend time learning bird behavior and training him to know what is acceptable to you and what is not acceptable behavior. You will benefit from learning to read his body language and stay one step ahead of any unacceptable behavior. And yes I do understand how disheartening it is to have this happen....
I have a B&G Macaw who was out to bite and hurt me just a week or two ago (there is a thread called "some changes" in macaw motorway if you want to have a read) and after being more aware and changing my behavior as well as working on positive reinforcement of wanted behaviors we are getting so close to being totally safe again. I actually had to exit the room and shut the door as he was so desperate to land on me and spill my blood again and again that I had no choice if I wanted to change what was happening- he calmed down and I re entered the room and managed to get him put away just before he amped up at me again- we have now learned to communicate well again and I have some new rules to follow to keep things happy, all my extra time with him and looking at me was so worth it. Things are not exactly where they were before he went on an angry at me spree but they are good enough for now and we will keep working on our relationship.

Have a nosey through the training court and pick up some tips on how to deal with this behavior and train him to not do the things you find unacceptable. The Training Court

nxptune

Real Name
vannessa
No I do not think you "should just get rid of him", the only time I would ever recommend that is if the bird would be better cared for or happier with others which is not very often at all.
Am I right to assume you got this bird as a very young baby?

The alternative that is available to you and honestly will be the best thing to do is to spend time learning bird behavior and training him to know what is acceptable to you and what is not acceptable behavior. You will benefit from learning to read his body language and stay one step ahead of any unacceptable behavior. And yes I do understand how disheartening it is to have this happen....
I have a B&G Macaw who was out to bite and hurt me just a week or two ago (there is a thread called "some changes" in macaw motorway if you want to have a read) and after being more aware and changing my behavior as well as working on positive reinforcement of wanted behaviors we are getting so close to being totally safe again. I actually had to exit the room and shut the door as he was so desperate to land on me and spill my blood again and again that I had no choice if I wanted to change what was happening- he calmed down and I re entered the room and managed to get him put away just before he amped up at me again- we have now learned to communicate well again and I have some new rules to follow to keep things happy, all my extra time with him and looking at me was so worth it. Things are not exactly where they were before he went on an angry at me spree but they are good enough for now and we will keep working on our relationship.

Have a nosey through the training court and pick up some tips on how to deal with this behavior and train him to not do the things you find unacceptable. The Training Court
i got him when he was 5 and a half years old. thank you for your help, it means so much. ill take as much time and patience as i need to make sure my sunny and i can stay friends

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
i got him when he was 5 and a half years old. thank you for your help, it means so much. ill take as much time and patience as i need to make sure my sunny and i can stay friends
You will get plenty of support and help from members here so feel free to post other threads asking more questions to help you along on your journey. We have members who have birds doing the exact same thing you said yours is doing with your dad, some have found it easier to only interact with their birds when the chosen family member is not there.