• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey folks, I just wanted to drop in and join this forum to ask for advice, and hopefully give some advice to and from other bird keepers. Right now, I have one budgie, and I have many questions to ask about this budgie. Here's a low res picture of my bird.

(Nua is the birds name)

Also, recently my bird has been really aggressive towards me and my family. I thought it was lack of sleep, and lack of chew toys, so for these past few days. I've been making a DIY toy with all the sticks of millet that he's eaten up, and recently gotten a bird kabob, and he loves to chew.
He/she (I don't know the gender yet) is aggresive towards me and my finger. Prompting to bite it if I don't have millet in hand. 3 days ago, we were doing training and she was a pro at stepping up! Now she's just not doing it anymore. Do I spend too much time with my budgie? I've had Nua since the 17th of July, 2018

Thank you for all the future responses!

~Kifird

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your bird is still adjusting to his new home. I would try to do things are his pace. If he comfortable being held and petted, great. But if not, don't force him. Give him some time. And yes, he should definitely have toys. If you search on the forum there are all kinds of ideas for homemade toys.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi there and welcome. Yes let your new budgie do things at a slower pace. You may be doing something that is irritating to her to receive a bite. There is no hurry.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Welcome to AA.......your Budgie is adorable, and I love the name Nua. Just take your time with her, you have to build trust with her. Please share your progress with her.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:fairy2::hello1: Kifird & Nua!

Just a guess but is it possible Nua is not getting enough sleep/rest. I'm not sure how much a budgie is supposed to get. I make sure my Amazon gets extra during the spring & summer, because he gets aggressive w/ my hubby if I don't. He will get nasty w/ all of us if he's especially overtired, I learned that last year & have done all to avoid it this year. My guy got better in time as we got each other on schedules & he got used to everything in & around our house. Especially all our traffic noise as I live on a busy street.

:dance1:Rain

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just from what I can see of the side of her cere, Nua looks like a female to me. Is she just nibbling on you, or is she really biting hard? Maybe slow it down a bit on trying to handle her until she's been there a bit longer if she is biting hard. If she's just nibbling and it doesn't hurt, I'd say she's just exploring your hands. She's so pretty! Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard