• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of a alexandrine parrot

California

Meeting neighbors
Hi! Yesterday I got an alexandrine parrot of 6-months old ( believed to be a male)
He is kinda of aggressive and the first day he wouldn’t touch his food , my sister had to hand feed him some seeds from outside the cage.
He also didn’t sleep. I traveled home and the travel went really well.
When I got home I placed him in a sunny window for a few hours where he was really active and even started to sing!
When I got him inside he started to fly inside the cage and I got worried he would brake a wing
His cage is large enough for him (recommend by the vet)
How do I calm him down? And do I get him outside the cage I’m afraid he will fly in high places

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:bliss: :greet13:Hello!
Im excited to see an Alexander on the forum!! I've never had thrm but thrm fascinating! Yiu must share a picture!

Share your set up and we will let you know.

Its stressful to go to a new home. And it csn take time fir thrm to feel safe.

Unlike other pets we hsve to earn their trust. Lots of sitting next to csge and talking to thrm sbd hang out. Hand little treats here and there through cage. If csge protective put in a small treat inky fish yiu csn drop in one treat at time from outside csge.

Yiu can also stuff sime veggies in the bars leaving thrm stuck in the bars. Like broccoli, Romaine lettuce leaf, bell pepper, carrots. Veggies are so good for them! Often they are tempted to at least nibbles or destroy thrm when stuffed in bars .

You might wait a couple of days to get him out if fearful. Was he Hand rasiaed? What's his back store?

When you are ready to let him out . Maybe take his cage to a bedroom and close the door. Curtains or blinds on windows so won't crash into tgrm . They do learn about windows but takes some time. No ceiling fan on. Good bright light most burds don't see well in dim light. Talk to him let him settle. Then open the door and let him come out. Put an apple slice on top of cage. Hope he will come out calm and explore around cage. I'd just sit next him. See if will take treats. If fkys around tge room in a panic hold still. Be quiet. When he lands tgen walk towards calmly and talking calmly. Like get fellow did you get spooked? Im coming over to rescue Yiu. Often even untamed ones are willing to be rescued . He might fky off again when you approached. Hopefully bsck to top of cage praise if he does abd sit bsck duen. But if Flys off some place else wait till he lands and try again. Usdually by 3 fjy off they are tired and ready to be rescued. You might get a bite..I ignore it, and take them bsck to top of csge ir put them back in. I use my hand or arm. Or have a short perch in your hand you can offer. It takes time and patience and lots if repeated sessions.

One the hardest things for me is to explain how to make friends with your bird. So hopefully others will give their advice.

But hsnd out treats and just saying hi a million times a day helps.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
From my little experience all I can say is that you always need to remember that everything is slow with birds. It is a big big change for him right now so do not be surprised if it takes a while for him to get used to the new environment.

California

Meeting neighbors
:bliss: :greet13:Hello!
Im excited to see an Alexander on the forum!! I've never had thrm but thrm fascinating! Yiu must share a picture!

Share your set up and we will let you know.

Its stressful to go to a new home. And it csn take time fir thrm to feel safe.

Unlike other pets we hsve to earn their trust. Lots of sitting next to csge and talking to thrm sbd hang out. Hand little treats here and there through cage. If csge protective put in a small treat inky fish yiu csn drop in one treat at time from outside csge.

Yiu can also stuff sime veggies in the bars leaving thrm stuck in the bars. Like broccoli, Romaine lettuce leaf, bell pepper, carrots. Veggies are so good for them! Often they are tempted to at least nibbles or destroy thrm when stuffed in bars .

You might wait a couple of days to get him out if fearful. Was he Hand rasiaed? What's his back store?

When you are ready to let him out . Maybe take his cage to a bedroom and close the door. Curtains or blinds on windows so won't crash into tgrm . They do learn about windows but takes some time. No ceiling fan on. Good bright light most burds don't see well in dim light. Talk to him let him settle. Then open the door and let him come out. Put an apple slice on top of cage. Hope he will come out calm and explore around cage. I'd just sit next him. See if will take treats. If fkys around tge room in a panic hold still. Be quiet. When he lands tgen walk towards calmly and talking calmly. Like get fellow did you get spooked? Im coming over to rescue Yiu. Often even untamed ones are willing to be rescued . He might fky off again when you approached. Hopefully bsck to top of cage praise if he does abd sit bsck duen. But if Flys off some place else wait till he lands and try again. Usdually by 3 fjy off they are tired and ready to be rescued. You might get a bite..I ignore it, and take them bsck to top of csge ir put them back in. I use my hand or arm. Or have a short perch in your hand you can offer. It takes time and patience and lots if repeated sessions.

One the hardest things for me is to explain how to make friends with your bird. So hopefully others will give their advice.

But hsnd out treats and just saying hi a million times a day helps.
My setup it’s pretty poor right now
I have 2 bowls of food and one of water which he keeps playing with
And I bought him a swing , I’ll be adding more toys tomorrow
And for last he got a beak stone
He accepts food from outside the cage , we tried to feed him from inside but he was scared, so I didn’t want to push it
I don’t know if he was hand feed as a baby since the seller wasn’t the direct breeder he just had him for 3-4 months
What temperatures should he stay in?
the seller kept him outside sometimes at 13 Celsius ( around 55 farenheit)

Attachments

California

Meeting neighbors
From my little experience all I can say is that you always need to remember that everything is slow with birds. It is a big big change for him right now so do not be surprised if it takes a while for him to get used to the new environment.
Thanks I’m trying to give him space since the moving and the new cage might be a traumatic experience for him

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His cage is large enough for him (recommend by the vet)
If I were you I´d look into finding a new vet. That cage is way too small for your bird.

Having few things in the cage at first isn´t necessarily a bad thing. Adding things slowly works for most bird so they´re not overwhelmed.

Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I hsve to agree that will be a good enermgency evacuation cage or travel cage.

But you will need a much larger one to keep him happy.

I lurked Facebook market place, Craigslist ect and found pristine used cages way cheap! Took a little patience fir me to match all my white cages..
My first cage was way to small as well. But great for hurricane evacuation!
It definitely takes time to get everything together when yiu get yiur first bird!

Excellent thst you already saw a veterinarian as well! You are doing great!

Absolutely wonderful that he took treats outside the cage by hand already!!!! Yay! They are often cage protective and in smaller cages feel stressed.

He is gorgeous congratulations!!!

California

Meeting neighbors
If I were you I´d look into finding a new vet. That cage is way too small for your bird.

Having few things in the cage at first isn´t necessarily a bad thing. Adding things slowly works for most bird so they´re not overwhelmed.

Welcome to the Avenue! View attachment 422276
The cage it’s a 15,75 X 23, 62 inches ,the seller used to keep him in a smaller one, for a few months I might have to keep him in that’s cage cause of economics

California

Meeting neighbors
I hsve to agree that will be a good enermgency evacuation cage or travel cage.

But you will need a much larger one to keep him happy.

I lurked Facebook market place, Craigslist ect and found pristine used cages way cheap! Took a little patience fir me to match all my white cages..
My first cage was way to small as well. But great for hurricane evacuation!
It definitely takes time to get everything together when yiu get yiur first bird!

Excellent thst you already saw a veterinarian as well! You are doing great!

Absolutely wonderful that he took treats outside the cage by hand already!!!! Yay! They are often cage protective and in smaller cages feel stressed.

He is gorgeous congratulations!!!
Thanks! I’m trying to get him to live a happy life ! Also I start working in September so he might have to wait for the cage if I don’t find another way

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

An Alexandrine needs a cage with a base of at least 40x30 inches (100x80cm) so he has enough room to stretch his wings fully. The link I've given shows average wingspans for the species, and it's recommended that a cage is a minimum of 1.5x the average wingspan.

September is a long time to wait for an appropriately sized cage. Can you look at classified ads/facebook/etc to see whether there are any larger ones available? You will have to be conscious of bar spacing: many larger cages will have bar spacing that's too wide for your bird, and he can hurt or even kill himself if he can stick his head out between the bars.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
20221029_141749~3.jpg
I got 3 out 4 of the above cages used for between $75-125 ..all like new conditions no rust dents chips or anything . I do not accept used perches or toys. I just toss thrm when I get home.

Having a bigger cage is so important, less stress on the bird, more rome for mental stimulation toys chew stuff, and they can choose to retreat rather than fight as you try and bond wjth t

Im deffinatly a budget girl!!! I get it! I buy a big toy then cut it up to make many toys. I cut down down crepe myrtle branches from my property to use as perches. But you can check parrot safe wood lists there are other kinds if trees that are safe. I cut up brien paper bags into strips and tie the dtrios together to make frilly paper toys. Cardboard boxes cut out any glued section make sure no staples abd yiu csn make into fun shapes. I use zip ties to attach stuff but must be tight so no toes or tounges can get trapped and hurt. Plsstic chain from big box bome improvement stores are safe to make things from. I wash with soap and water first to make sure no residue on thrm.
I use veggies as foraging and stuff to rip chew apart. Thise yuvkybto me big broccoli stens are fun to them to destroy! As is a whole csrrot used as a perch or chew toy. Plain popsicle sticks at craft store are fantastic for toy making and to destroy.
The dollar store tiny little plastic boxes are great to hide things in.

I definitely get creative and as cheap as can be with stuff. There many other creative parrot crafty parents here as well who might hsve ideas fir you.

California

Meeting neighbors

An Alexandrine needs a cage with a base of at least 40x30 inches (100x80cm) so he has enough room to stretch his wings fully. The link I've given shows average wingspans for the species, and it's recommended that a cage is a minimum of 1.5x the average wingspan.

September is a long time to wait for an appropriately sized cage. Can you look at classified ads/facebook/etc to see whether there are any larger ones available? You will have to be conscious of bar spacing: many larger cages will have bar spacing that's too wide for your bird, and he can hurt or even kill himself if he can stick his head out between the bars.
I’m looking into them right now thanks for the advice

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Sometimes local rescues have large cages for a huge discount

California

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes local rescues have large cages for a huge discount
I actually live in Italy (Europe) and cages are a bit pricy , the one I got him (60x40 cm) costed me around 50 dollars , the larger ones go from 500+ dollars , I’m trying to find one that I can disassemble because I’ll have to move in a year or so

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about something like this?

Or maybe see if someone is selling this cage second hand near you?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I actually live in Italy (Europe) and cages are a bit pricy , the one I got him (60x40 cm) costed me around 50 dollars , the larger ones go from 500+ dollars , I’m trying to find one that I can disassemble because I’ll have to move in a year or so
It must be harder to get larger cages, we are spoiled for choices in usa. I recommend when you do look for flat top cages as its great to attach perches put out plates if veggies abd large bath bowl. Many psrrotscare better st exploring and eating veggies out of cage ive found.

I've seen folks use a curved shower curtain rod and then hang all kinds if perches off of that. Or use a clothing rack and modify with perches turning into a large play gym. Everything needs to be far away enough from walls and window trim because your parrot will chomp on those!!

But getting your parrot out if the cage and able to be on his set up for long periods of time during the day will really help keep him happy.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
All galvanized metal is toxic. Please research safe metal for parrots.
Your parrot has a good chomper on him...not sure tge longterm hold up of wood

California

Meeting neighbors
All galvanized metal is toxic. Please research safe metal for parrots.
Your parrot has a good chomper on him...not sure tge longterm hold up of wood
Thanks for telling me that! I was going to use wood since I’ll be moving houses in one year or so , and I planned on getting him a new cage then, would it be okay if I used robust wood? Is there any non safe wood?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wood is not going to stand up to an Alexandrine's beak. They're often very keen chewers.