• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New: Need some help

Weros

Strolling the yard
The perches should also be stationed in a way that the bird can move from the lower realm of the cage to the upper parts of it like how they would do it on trees. What I see now here are two main perches one placed below and one above the only way he can get there is by climbing on the bars. This is not something I like

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Also you should remove that cover. I assume that you put it on there so that it catches seed but it will only make it feel claustrophic and can cause hormonal behavior. The bird's cage should be placed against a wall without that cover.
This is temporary. It gives the bird a sense of security while they are adjusting to the new cage. It´s very unlikely to cause hormonal behaviour, as they only do that when comfortable (and when the bird is comfortable, the sheet will be removed.

I personally recommend that you remove these included perches that come along with the cage when purchased.
They are bad for the bird's feet as it has no variations in diameter.
The one dowel low down is fine as long as the bird does not sit there on it all day long.

For a lovebird I would not place a plastic cage as their beaks are very strong and can chip off the plastic and ingest it
OP has a cockatiel.

Weros

Strolling the yard
This is temporary. It gives the bird a sense of security while they are adjusting to the new cage. It´s very unlikely to cause hormonal behaviour, as they only do that when comfortable (and when the bird is comfortable, the sheet will be removed.

The one dowel low down is fine as long as the bird does not sit there on it all day long.
Yes, but that's the point these perches are placed in its cage where it will sit on it for hours so it will be used for a long stretches

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, but that's the point these perches are placed in its cage where it will sit on it for hours so it will be used for a long stretches
That is something that JennBee can monitor. If the bird favours the dowel, then it should be removed, but for the bird to climb on and off it is not the worst thing. As this perch is the lowest, it will more likely be walked over, used as a stepping stone sort to speak.

Edit; I just went back to look at the picture and see the second dowel. @Jennbee73 you could lower the second dowel and keep it until you get a nice natural perch for its place. Or wrap it with vet wrap to create an uneven surface. I have heard some people will cut shunks out of their dowels then file them to create a nice wonky perch.

Last edited:

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
Omg! You just cant ever get rid of people who want to wag their finger at others!!! The cage is not plastic!!!! The cover that is on it is not to catch seed... it comforts her. And normally is removed during the day but transferring her to a new cage I wanted her comforted and it kept her calm.. good lord your an arse. Birds are different just like people!! She does not like high places... that's why I put that pedi perch there as I knew shed use it minimally. I would move it or take it out if she was on it all the time! The cage is 2 feet by 2 feet... definitely large enough for her... She is out free in the house most of the time! She already has a rope perch in there...I am well aware of the wooden perches issues, I have others on order but the ones that are in there have been "roughed up" for now. Is there anything else you'd like to criticize??? I honestly dont care anymore as you've ruined this forum for me already... Rude and unnecessary... I will not be returning.
For those of you who gave me well meaning advice and answered my questions I thank you immensely.
For future reference for the poster that I'm referring to you need to save your unwanted advice for someone who is actually mistreating an animal. I'm so sick and tired of people wagging there fingers at others with criticism like they're perfect. I actually bought this bird originally a $400 dollar beautiful big cage and she hated it!!! Absolutely hated it!!! And was miserable! This cage was more appropriate for THIS bird. Omg I'm so annoyed! Must be nice to be perfect! The world is so full of people criticizing and trying to put others down... I'm just sick of it! Peace out.

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
It still is too small imo he can't move that much and birds that are small are very active and like to move, climb and play a lot. Cockatiels also have a long tail which means the cage should only be larger
Omg! You just cant ever get rid of people who want to wag their finger at others!!! The cage is not plastic!!!! The cover that is on it is not to catch seed... it comforts her. And normally is removed during the day but transferring her to a new cage I wanted her comforted and it kept her calm.. good lord your an arse. Birds are different just like people!! She does not like high places... that's why I put that pedi perch there as I knew shed use it minimally. I would move it or take it out if she was on it all the time! The cage is 2 feet by 2 feet... definitely large enough for her... She is out free in the house most of the time! She already has a rope perch in there...I am well aware of the wooden perches issues, I have others on order but the ones that are in there have been "roughed up" for now. Is there anything else you'd like to criticize??? I honestly dont care anymore as you've ruined this forum for me already... Rude and unnecessary... I will not be returning.
For those of you who gave me well meaning advice and answered my questions I thank you immensely.
For future reference for the poster that I'm referring to you need to save your unwanted advice for someone who is actually mistreating an animal. I'm so sick and tired of people wagging there fingers at others with criticism like they're perfect. I actually bought this bird originally a $400 dollar beautiful big cage and she hated it!!! Absolutely hated it!!! And was miserable! This cage was more appropriate for THIS bird. Omg I'm so annoyed! Must be nice to be perfect! The world is so full of people criticizing and trying to put others down... I'm just sick of it! Peace out.

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
She just needs a little time to adjust, she will be ok :)
I´m glad you got her out of the tiny travel cage and into a bird cage. Remove this from her view.
Maybe clip a hunk of millet in there?

PS, I can´t quite see, but check that the smooth edge on your pedicure perch faces upwards
Thank you

Weros

Strolling the yard
I apologize if I hurt your feelings, I didn't mean it like that lol. I am just giving advice.

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
The perches should also be stationed in a way that the bird can move from the lower realm of the cage to the upper parts of it like how they would do it on trees. What I see now here are two main perches one placed below and one above the only way he can get there is by climbing on the bars. This is not something I like
Well then I guess it's good that you dont live in the cage then .. I placed everything in there painstakingly to make it best for HER! AND she can get to everything without climbing but she still chooses too!!! I would move things around if I notice differently.
Dont you have a youtube video to go pick apart???

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
That is something that JennBee can monitor. If the bird favours the dowel, then it should be removed, but for the bird to climb on and off it is not the worst thing. As this perch is the lowest, it will more likely be walked over, used as a stepping stone sort to speak.

Edit; I just went back to look at the picture and see the second dowel. @Jennbee73 you could lower the second dowel and keep it until you get a nice natural perch for its place. Or wrap it with vet wrap to create an uneven surface. I have heard some people will cut shunks out of their dowels then file them to create a nice wonky perch.
Thank you. I did get my husband to gouge and rough them up. I guess you cant tell from the pic. I do appreciate your kind advice.

Reactions: Ali

Weros

Strolling the yard
Well then I guess it's good that you dont live in the cage then .. I placed everything in there painstakingly to make it best for HER! AND she can get to everything without climbing but she still chooses too!!! I would move things around if I notice differently.
Dont you have a youtube video to go pick apart???
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion this is the real world. This is how we learn and grow. If you cannot take criticism then that is going to be an issue as people will always have their own view on what's best. Perhaps I could have been a little more euphemistic in my word choices but you are also being very rude by verbally abusing me.
If I did not care about you and the bird I would not have given advice and left you to your own devices also consider that please.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you don’t go, but stay and share and converse with all the other people on here. I just think some people’s style of writing is more direct, but not necessarily just meant to criticize.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that my cockatiels never fly from perch to perch in their cages. Tiels are definitely more laid back and less busy than budgies. My tiels play with toys some, but their favorite activity is watching everything that’s going on in the house. Your bird is very cute, and I hope you stay!

Weros

Strolling the yard
I agree every bird is different but there are many cases where bird owners are not aware of these issues and we have to inform them about these potential hazards.
I have recently seen a completely plucked amazon parrot in a tiny round songbird cage, with one dowel perch and a food bowl full of seeds. Sometimes we might think that we are doing the best and taking the best care of them but that might not always be the case that's why this forum exists so that we can all share our opinions to reach the best conclusion we can.

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
I'm sorry tou feel targeted/hurt @Jennbee73. I don't think anyone intended to make you feel that way- some people just have a more direct way of speaking.Please stay here on AA- I think you'll find it's a very welcoming and fun! :loveshower: As for the cage, birds aren't one size fits all- if you've tested a larger cage and she didn't like it don't worry! Make sure to give her lots of outside time. You have a very pretty bird!

~Estella

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
beautiful big cage and she hated it!
That is too bad :(
I recently put my youngest lovebird into one of my flight cages (it´s a long story), and he clambered up and froze on the top rope perch and wouldn´t move, wouldn´t eat, wouldn´t sleep. Lucky I had bought a snuggle sleepy thing from Kazoo that he was enjoying, and so I put it in up near the rope perch and he immediately scuttled over to it and slept. I moved all the birds around and got him back in his own cage the following morning. He clearly was not a fan of the larger cage.

Aoi♡

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion this is the real world. This is how we learn and grow. If you cannot take criticism then that is going to be an issue as people will always have their own view on what's best. Perhaps I could have been a little more euphemistic in my word choices but you are also being very rude by verbally abusing me.
If I did not care about you and the bird I would not have given advice and left you to your own devices also consider that please.

The way you're giving advice is harsh it is not best to bash advice all at once it overwhelms others.

Dowel perches are not bad if few are in the cage the useage needs to be monitored is all.

The worst perches are the plastic ones those are a big no no.

If their cockatiel is out of the cage most of the day I don't see why any of this is a problem.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
it seems too small imo
I do agree with this, unless the Tiel is going to spend most of her time out of the cage.
Only thing I can add to the advice is only use the large door and tie the guillotine down so she can't escape or trap herself.

Reactions: tka

Weros

Strolling the yard
I see.... some birds may like small and covered places for a variety of reasons like roosting, nesting, seeking refuge from predators.
Did you recently purchase this bird?
Perhaps they may not like such a large cage initially as it it still scared and unsure of it's new environment, things, sounds, people in it.
But once it settles in and is more confident you can try to transition him to the big, beautiful cage you had bought for him.
What you can try to do as Zara mentioned earlier is put a temporary safe zone in the cage. Like a wooden box where it can feel safe when it's in the cage and get acclimated to it's new environment. Eventually she will get used to it, slowly explore and see that it is not bad as the thought it was.
And even if she is afraid of the big cage now.
It is essential for her well-being that you really put effort into socializing her and desensitize her to the larger cage as it is important that they need lots of space to exercise, climb etc.

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Weros .

She has had the bird 3 weeks.

For future...
Bother to read the entire message and thread before you reply with an irrelvant answer. Read carefully before you comment. Just watch your step as my nerves are running very short with you. That is all.