• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New: Need some help

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
I just moved my cockatiel (I've only had her for 3 weeks) into a new cage (her cage she came is was very tiny) and shes just walking back and forth in the floor. Is this normal? And how long will it take her to explore her cage?? I'm worried I'm stressing her out

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
How long has she been in the new cage?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Give her some time to explore and comfort her with her favorite treat. I just transferred my own two budgies into a new flight cage, and they immediately hopped onto their favorite rope perch, which comforted them. Try using the toys/perches you used in the old cage so that everything will be familiar with her. Hope this helps!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Sit with her for a bit. And if she's still really nervous, you can cover the cage on 3 sides leaving the front open. That way, she doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" from all sides. And as suggested by @Skyandkiwi , putting things that are familiar for her may help too. And don't overwhelm her with too many new toys, etc. Some birds find new toys scary and need some time to adjust. Also, how old is she? Young tiels sometimes have trouble climbing and may need everything lowered for them for awhile- food, perches, etc

Weros

Strolling the yard
I just moved my cockatiel (I've only had her for 3 weeks) into a new cage (her cage she came is was very tiny) and shes just walking back and forth in the floor. Is this normal? And how long will it take her to explore her cage?? I'm worried I'm stressing her out
Could you send a video perhaps?

mak

Rollerblading along the road
How old is your tiel? was she sitting on perches in the old cage?

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
She is a year old. I only put her in the cage a few hours ago. She has moved to her rope perch to sit. And has gone to her food dish with some encouragement. I have everything from her old perch in this new cage. Plus a couple new things. Not a lot. She is preening. And I seen her on one foot resting... so I think shes getting comfortable. I only have experience with budgies... and my budgie is very "busy" flying from perch to perch and playing. (Seperate cages)... do tiels not fly from perch to perch??? She seems to just always climb on the sides and front of the cage. Maybe the perches are too far apart.
Any tips is appreciated.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the forum. Sit with her for a bit. And if she's still really nervous, you can cover the cage on 3 sides leaving the front open. That way, she doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" from all sides. And as suggested by @Skyandkiwi , putting things that are familiar for her may help too. And don't overwhelm her with too many new toys, etc. Some birds find new toys scary and need some time to adjust. Also, how old is she? Young tiels sometimes have trouble climbing and may need everything lowered for them for awhile- food, perches, etc
She is a year old. Do tiels only climb and not fly from perch to perch??? I put all her items from her little cage into this one. Plus a few new things.

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
Give her some time to explore and comfort her with her favorite treat. I just transferred my own two budgies into a new flight cage, and they immediately hopped onto their favorite rope perch, which comforted them. Try using the toys/perches you used in the old cage so that everything will be familiar with her. Hope this helps!
Thanks. I did use items from her old cage. and she is on her rope perch.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She just needs a little time to adjust, she will be ok :)
I´m glad you got her out of the tiny travel cage and into a bird cage. Remove this from her view.
Maybe clip a hunk of millet in there?

PS, I can´t quite see, but check that the smooth edge on your pedicure perch faces upwards

mak

I only have experience with budgies... and my budgie is very "busy" flying from perch to perch and playing. (Seperate cages)... do tiels not fly from perch to perch??? She seems to just always climb on the sides and front of the cage. Maybe the perches are too far apart.
Tiels are definitely more laid back than budgies. My tiel climbs from place to place, occasionally jumping from a perch onto the cage bars to climb somewhere. Sounds like she's already settling in nicely. It will take her some time to completely acclimate.

Jennbee73

Meeting neighbors
She just needs a little time to adjust, she will be ok :)
I´m glad you got her out of the tiny travel cage and into a bird cage. Remove this from her view.
Maybe clip a hunk of millet in there?

PS, I can´t quite see, but check that the smooth edge on your pedicure perch faces upwards
I have Millet in there. Its hanging in the yellow holder! She did make her way to it a moment ago. And thanks about the pedi perch. I didnt realize.

Weros

Strolling the yard
I personally recommend that you remove these included perches that come along with the cage when purchased.
They are bad for the bird's feet as it has no variations in diameter.
Try look for rope perches, natural perches, wooden perches etc. of various diameters so that the bird can choose on which perch to rest and it can exercise its feets and prevent arthritis.
Also you should remove that cover. I assume that you put it on there so that it catches seed but it will only make it feel claustrophic and can cause hormonal behavior. The bird's cage should be placed against a wall without that cover.
I personally do not like this cage it seems too small imo and it is made of plastic.

The cage below is a much more appropriate size imo but I do not have any cockatiels.
For a lovebird I would not place a plastic cage as their beaks are very strong and can chip off the plastic and ingest it

mak

I personally do not like this cage it seems too small imo and it is made of plastic.
For a lovebird I would not place a plastic cage as their beaks are very strong and can chip off the plastic and ingest it
It looks like only the bottom of the cage is plastic, not the bars. This is the way many cages are made. I have never had a problem with such a cage.

Weros

Strolling the yard
It looks like only the bottom of the cage is plastic, not the bars. This is the way many cages are made. I have never had a problem with such a cage.
I see that you have also placed a nail trimming perch on the highest place in the cage.
I do not recommend this as this is where birds like to perch on most of the times and if they perch on it for prolonged times it can be hard on their feet and even their nails.

Try placing it where there food bowl is so they trim their nails on it occassionally during the day and are not always perched on it.

The video really explains it well. I recommend that you check out his youtube channel along

Weros

Strolling the yard
It still is too small imo he can't move that much and birds that are small are very active and like to move, climb and play a lot. Cockatiels also have a long tail which means the cage should only be larger