• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Lovebirds that are bonded and need taming

Michl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Michelle
Hello everyone!

I recently rescued 2 lovebirds (female) which were hand tamed as young birds and then left in their cage ignored by their previous owner. I will assume that because of the neglet from the previous owner made the lovebirds bond with each other stronger.

Based on suggestions that were given to me when I first got them were to; 1. Separate each into their own cage, 2. Bring one at a time to the bathtub with the curtain closed and "play/read to it", 3. Bring a treat so it can relate it as a positive experience. I have been doing this for a little over a week and it seems as though they have gotten more freaked out by me as they days progressed.

Prior to separating them in individual cages, they would happily step up on my hand or stick and accept spray millet from me. Now they both completely freak out when I try and remove them from their cage. The good thing is that they aren't afraid to leave their cage, or me putting my hand in the cage to pickup vegetable messes. I am wondering if I should take a step back and start from the very beginning by offering food through the bars of the cage and gradually move forward, as they start trusting me again.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've also included a picture of my babies, Squeaks (front), Kiwi (back)

kiwi-and-squeaks.jpg

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
@Birdbabe might be able to help. She has lovebirds :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Michelle! 1.welcome signs.gif

Beautiful birds you have there!

to the bathtub
Why to the bathtub?

I am wondering if I should take a step back and start from the very beginning by offering food through the bars of the cage and gradually move forward, as they start trusting me again.
Sounds like you already know the answer ;)

If the girls are a bonded pair, separating them will make them scared and act very differently.

Definitely start again from the beginning. If the girls were bonded, put them back together, especially with you saying they were ok stepping onto you and taking treats from you. Just simply by repeating this over and over again will help build trust. Make every interaction a positive one (by feeding lots of millet helps). Spend time reading by the cage to the birds together.

When you let them out of the cage to fly, have a little stand near you with toys and treats, and always have millet on hand should they fly to your shoulder to investigate , then they can have a treat and enjoy a positive interaction.

Reactions: tka

Michl

Real Name
Michelle
Why to the bathtub?
I thought that this was a little odd from what I've read and seen from countless of videos.

The separation between the two was because Squeaks would chirp really loud (hence the name) when Kiwi would approach for food. Hearing Squeaks yell, she would then retreat and not take the millet. It seriously feels like I have taken several steps back from taking them into the bathtub. I have instead been taking one at a time into the bedroom with me to play on a toy stand I have with millet and seeds. They seem a little less stressed this way, and I allow them to explore without going too far. Having them in the bedroom I am also able to get them to step up onto a stick.

kiwi.PNG

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you tried using two hands to feed the millet through the cage? So hold up two hands with millet but about 15cm or so apart?

If the bedroom is working for you all, then stick at it :)
Just be mindful if you don´t live alone, and be careful re-entering the room. My partner has a terrible habit of opening the patio doors while I´m out the room, so I always look through a small gap in the door before opening the door fully to return to the living room.

Reactions: tka

Michl

Real Name
Michelle
An important thing I forgot to mention. They have been seperated because the morning after I got the birds, Squeaks had laid an egg. As I was only told that they were both female and did not have papers it would be best to seperate until I can get DNA tests done.

I did finally receive the DNA parcel yesterday to test and see.

Michl

Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried using two hands to feed the millet through the cage? So hold up two hands with millet but about 15cm or so apart?
Not sure I understand what you mean.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Eggs are no problem. Take it and place it in boiling water for a few minutes then allow it to cool down before returning it to wherever you found it.
Unless there is fighting, then yes, separate.

Not sure I understand what you mean.
Hold a hunk of millet spray in your left hand, and another in your right hand. Then simultaneously hold the millet to the cage bars so both birds can eat at the same time but a little spaced from each other. I do this for my blue boys because the girls are mean piggies and want all the millet for themselves and will attack the boys.

Michl

Real Name
Michelle
Eggs are no problem. Take it and place it in boiling water for a few minutes then allow it to cool down before returning it to wherever you found it.
Unless there is fighting, then yes, separate.
Thank you for the clarification with the millet spray. I apologize for all the questions, but have one more. What do you mean eggs are no problem? I can still keep my girls (if they are both girls) together to tame them, even if one laid an egg??

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
The idea behind the bathtub is that is a small area so they are not overwhelmed with everything going on around them. i usually say the bathroom or any small area without any hidey holes, those should be filled with a towel or something so they can run in there and get stuck. Pretty much ny area where it is less distracting/quiet and they feel safe.. Sounds like the bedroom is working for you.

Michl

Real Name
Michelle
The idea behind the bathtub is that is a small area so they are not overwhelmed with everything going on around them. i usually say the bathroom or any small area without any hidey holes, those should be filled with a towel or something so they can run in there and get stuck. Pretty much ny area where it is less distracting/quiet and they feel safe.. Sounds like the bedroom is working for you.
I would see why the bathtub would set them back like that? I wonder if it's a mixture of separating them as well.
I am thinking about putting them back in the same cage, but worries that the bond they currently have will prevent me from any advancement.