• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New GCC

eZSloth

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel Jones
Hi, first time bird owner
Dunno if I’m posting in the right thread tree but here goes.
I recently brought home an 8 month old Green Cheek who was hand fed, hasn’t been sexed yet, so I’ve just been calling him he or Archer. The Aviary I got him from insisted on clipping him but I intend on letting his wings grow out. Where I’m definitely looking for advice is he seems very fearful of people despite being hand fed, is this normal? I’ve been talking to him a good bit and just trying to be near his cage while not making direct eye contact, playing some GCC noises really seemed to perk him up it’s like he forgot I was even holding the phone he got so close. But he seems really pissed he can’t fly, he’ll just sit on his food bowl and flap maniacally while calling. What are some good tips for kinda moving forward?

Side note (sorry my mind wanders) loves banana chips most out of the food he eats(offered him a slice of fresh banana but he wouldn’t have it) and accidentally drops them. I’ll walk over pick them up and set them on what seems to be his favorite perch so far. Then I’ll take a step back and wait till he lets his guard down enough to grab it with me there. Is this a good way to start moving forward?

side side note-extremely new all advice is appreciated

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I am very sorry the aviary made you have him clipped. Hopefully some other members will have some advice.

he seems very fearful of people despite being hand fed, is this normal?
But they hand fed him, then they clipped him. So the trust was tainted.
Keep feeding him his fave things and spend time with him, talking, singing, reading. Do your best to see that all interactions are positive ones.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcomesign:

I think safflower seeds are absolutely magic with GCC!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Boy what a bummer about the clipping, I wish breeders would stop these horrid practices- hopefully your baby grows its flights back sooner rather than later.

Many places that hand feed do not actually play with the babies and love them up, they literally grab a baby shove the food into it and shove it back in the brooder... Handfed does not always mean hand tame or hand accepting. If the breeder does not spend time making nice associations with hands for the babies then they are not any more comfortable around hands than a totally parent raised bird. Some even learn to dislike hands due to the way the handfeeder interacted with them.

Definitely letting your bird see your hands bring him the things he likes (like the banana chips) and that they are not a threat to him (by not grabbing at him) will be helpful.

In rooms too small for my bird to fly with his massive wings he will kinda call out, flap his wings on the spot then lift his foot for me to pick him up and he steers me to where he wants to go by leaning in the direction he wants to go- maybe your little one wants to look about a bit or move to a new location- you could possibly very slowly offer your little buddy a long perch or broom stick to step up on (until he is comfy with your hands) and see if he might like to be moved about.

There are lots of training tips and advice you can browse through here: The Training Court

eZSloth

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel Jones
Many places that hand feed do not actually play with the babies and love them up, they literally grab a baby shove the food into it and shove it back in the brooder... Handfed does not always mean hand tame or hand accepting. If the breeder does not spend time making nice associations with hands for the babies then they are not any more comfortable around hands than a totally parent raised bird. Some even learn to dislike hands due to the way the handfeeder interacted with them.
That connects a lot of dots for me, he doesn’t exactly flip out or get flee scared, he just seems uneasy and will take a step back so I just set it on his perch and step back. He only really panics if he thinks I’m trying to pick him up

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Boy what a bummer about the clipping, I wish breeders would stop these horrid practices- hopefully your baby grows its flights back sooner rather than later.

Definitely letting your bird see your hands bring him the things he likes (like the banana chips) and that they are not a threat to him (by not grabbing at him) will be helpful.

In rooms too small for my bird to fly with his massive wings he will kinda call out, flap his wings on the spot then lift his foot for me to pick him up and he steers me to where he wants to go by leaning in the direction he wants to go- maybe your little one wants to look about a bit or move to a new location- you could possibly very slowly offer your little buddy a long perch or broom stick to step up on (until he is comfy with your hands) and see if he might like to be moved about.

There are lots of training tips and advice you can browse through here: The Training Court
This is definitely what happened to my quaker from the pet store in regards to hand feeding.

She had a lot of behavioral issues, which is why I got her right at the last minute before they were sending her back to " cooperate"

She flips out when she sees a syringe, even tho she wants the baby bird formula. Came with such a hand phobia ..

Parrots are a big money making business, the coast of the bird, then all the money you will spend the pet store . They now do big warehouse raising babies... assembly line like , with many different feeders. There is no comfort and security with this type of feeding...

Oh darn sorry to take a tangent!

We over came this with patience, respect , time, and she is now one of my most snuggly girls. We are still working on syringes, and she will come up and try,

Handing out treats, sweet talk, sitting by cage eventually letting them climb on you and get treats and letting step up evolve more naturally than trying to train step up worked with her.

eZSloth

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel Jones
This is definitely what happened to my quaker from the pet store in regards to hand feeding.

She had a lot of behavioral issues, which is why I got her right at the last minute before they were sending her back to " cooperate"

She flips out when she sees a syringe, even tho she wants the baby bird formula. Came with such a hand phobia ..

Parrots are a big money making business, the coast of the bird, then all the money you will spend the pet store . They now do big warehouse raising babies... assembly line like , with many different feeders. There is no comfort and security with this type of feeding...

Oh darn sorry to take a tangent!

We over came this with patience, respect , time, and she is now one of my most snuggly girls. We are still working on syringes, and she will come up and try,

Handing out treats, sweet talk, sitting by cage eventually letting them climb on you and get treats and letting step up evolve more naturally than trying to train step up worked with her.
Yeah I’ll definitely take all of that for consideration, I’ve been singing and handing him food through the cage. When I got back from the vet today he was so tired or maybe feeling better enough that he chose NOT to nosedive into the cage when I went to put him in there and instead gracefully stepped of onto his perch, which made me happy lol

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
:greet14: Hello ~ Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures! :fly2:

eZSloth

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel Jones
i actually also think he might be really sensitive right now due to all of the on feathers on his head, he’s been rubbing his head up and down his rope wall, wish I could help him preen, but I’m gonna try a mist spray today as a hands off approach