• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Cockatoo mom problems

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
New here so I'm sorry if this was asked. It's been a long time since I've been on online threads as well.

Got a cockatoo a few months back... not even a year old and a lovely male triton. He's been fine all the way up till this week.
This week, hes been crying, getting moody, flinging more food, and having watery stool when it's normally firm, and he's shedding feathers. He's up on vaccines, no real diet change... he LOVES veggies but that normally doesn't change his stool. He daily gets cuddles, humidifier time, every other day showers, and time out. I can't think of anything he could've caught either cause he's been inside due to it being damp and cold. I'm at a loss. Help! Hoping it's nothing serious. His vet visit a month ago said he was healthy as a horse.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
He may be molting which would explain the loss of feathers, unless you're actually seeing him plucking them out.
Did you express your concern to the vet regarding the watery stools?
He may offer advice or medication for it.
I hope your cockatoo feels better soon. :)

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
He may be molting which would explain the loss of feathers, unless you're actually seeing him plucking them out.
Did you express your concern to the vet regarding the watery stools?
He may offer advice or medication for it.
I hope your cockatoo feels better soon. :)
I wondered if molt would make him like that. He's not one to pick cause usually he's busy doing things so no plucking. He didn't have watery stool when the vet saw him last month at all. It's only been the past 2 days he's had it. Hasn't lost any will to dance around but enjoys his alone time more than usual lately. I'd be afraid to schedule an appointment so close to the holidays that's why I hoped it was something preventable with some TLC and quiet time but it hasnt really changed or gotten worse either way.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
At not a year old yet, I'm wondering when you stopped handfeeding?
He may just need some comfort feedings, these can be anything warm (sweet potatoes, applesauce, oatmeal) that is offered from your fingers or a spoon.
I doubt it's hormones, too young. Any changes in the routines lately?
He's really still a baby, and could just be going through a growing phase.
Glad your visits to the vet are up to date, at least his health isn't a worry.
Stools can change depending on what is eaten or drank. Even bathing can cause them to moisten for a time.
I'd not worry unless they stay way different for a length of time.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
When my cockatoo has her bath dish she likes to play in it and sometimes she dunks her head in and drinks some.
Her poops are watery for a couple of hours, then back normal.
If he's drinking more or earing more watery fruits or vegetables, this may also cause watery poops.
Have you changed anything in his diet over the last couple of days?

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
At not a year old yet, I'm wondering when you stopped handfeeding?
He may just need some comfort feedings, these can be anything warm (sweet potatoes, applesauce, oatmeal) that is offered from your fingers or a spoon.
I doubt it's hormones, too young. Any changes in the routines lately?
He's really still a baby, and could just be going through a growing phase.
Glad your visits to the vet are up to date, at least his health isn't a worry.
Stools can change depending on what is eaten or drank. Even bathing can cause them to moisten for a time.
I'd not worry unless they stay way different for a length of time.
The place I got him from weened him at 5 and a half months. He's currently 7 months and he definitely still has tendencies to love mushy foods like his baby food. He'll just go through fits with eating but I'm generally afraid if I buy baby food for him, he'll fall back to it again.
No real changes, no. He gets cleaned up daily since he flings so much as well, that's when I noticed the stool change. This has been for about a day and a half to two days with no massive attitude change.

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
When my cockatoo has her bath dish she likes to play in it and sometimes she dunks her head in and drinks some.
Her poops are watery for a couple of hours, then back normal.
If he's drinking more or earing more watery fruits or vegetables, this may also cause watery poops.
Have you changed anything in his diet over the last couple of days?
Not particularly no. I added some more pellets occasionally to his food cause he isn't big on seeds and he needs his fats somehow, but he only get it every other day or every 3 days so he doesn't have too much fats. He's been going ham on peas which I hope is why but as said it usually hasn't made a difference in the past.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cockatoos can take longer to wean. I'd suggest offering moist pellets. Soak some in hot water until soft, drain off excess water. She should have some pellets daily.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Handfeeding some warm food will not make him fall back to handfeeding. I'm not talking about syringe feeding, just offering it with your fingers or a spoon. It will offer the comfort that baby and young birds need. Like Toy suggested, some warm moistened pellets may also be received well.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
feeding ham and peas? I would stop the ham. This could have caused some upset and usually has to much salt.

Can you share a picture of the loose stool?

If every stool has been off for more than a day , then its time for the veterinarian in my opinion. True diarrhea is much more serious in birds than mammals.

And behavior and activity isn't always a good indicator. Until they get dire and can't hide it. I've had a burd playing in the morning and dead by afternoon( ended up sinus infection) . I've also gone through a flock wide illness in which 2 of 3 very very sick ones you would never know by behavior. So I fall under extreme caution with symptoms.

One of the good things about the baby burd formula others have recommended, is most brands contain probiotic. You can read your lsbne to see if yours does. That will help some . Plus it's easy to digest and since has moisture when made up it will help replace any lost in wet stools.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
feeding ham and peas? I would stop the ham. This could have caused some upset and usually has to much salt.

If every stool has been off for more than a day , then its time for the veterinarian in my opinion. True diarrhea is much more serious in birds than mammals.

And behavior and activity isn't always a good indicator. Until they get dire and can't hide it. I've had a burd playing in the morning and dead by afternoon( ended up sinus infection) . I've also gone through a flock wide illness in which 2 of 3 very very sick ones you would never know by behavior. So I fall under extreme caution with symptoms.

One of the good things about the baby burd formula others have recommended, is most brands contain probiotic. You can read your lsbne to see if yours does. That will help some . Plus it's easy to digest and since has moisture when made up it will help replace any lost in wet stools.
I do not believe they are feeding ham, I think they mean they are feeding a good amount of peas. At least I hope that is what is meant- I wont even give ham to my dog.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I do not believe they are feeding ham, I think they mean they are feeding a good amount of peas. At least I hope that is what is meant- I wont even give ham to my dog.
Lol this a turn of phrase? ;)

Still with a 7 month old parrot. I would act on loose stool of more than a day. Give your veterinarian a call

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Lol this a turn of phrase? ;)

Still with a 7 month old parrot. I would act on loose stool of more than a day. Give your veterinarian a call
I am not positive, I initially interpreted the sentence the same way you did (feeding the bird ham and peas) but something in the wording did not seem right so I went back and looked again which is when I figured maybe it was a either a typo or a saying like I am mad about peas.

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
I am not positive, I initially interpreted the sentence the same way you did (feeding the bird ham and peas) but something in the wording did not seem right so I went back and looked again which is when I figured maybe it was a either a typo or a saying like I am mad about peas.
Lol sorry for the wording but yes it meaning he's crazy about peas:roflmao:. Peas and green beans I never give him meat ever.

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
New here so I'm sorry if this was asked. It's been a long time since I've been on online threads as well.

Got a cockatoo a few months back... not even a year old and a lovely male triton. He's been fine all the way up till this week.
This week, hes been crying, getting moody, flinging more food, and having watery stool when it's normally firm, and he's shedding feathers. He's up on vaccines, no real diet change... he LOVES veggies but that normally doesn't change his stool. He daily gets cuddles, humidifier time, every other day showers, and time out. I can't think of anything he could've caught either cause he's been inside due to it being damp and cold. I'm at a loss. Help! Hoping it's nothing serious. His vet visit a month ago said he was healthy as a horse.
Update on all this mess:
My vet can't see me today or this weekend (obviously due to holiday) and his poop persists to be runny. Despite the storm bearing down on the east, I'm gonna try to slip out before it gets too bad and get him some warm mushy foods and some probiotics. Usually when he acts off I start cleaning his cage twice to prevent any possible minor bacteria buildup and keep his cage as 'sterile' as I can. Any other advice would be great. Offering him small portions of cooked rice and oatmeal every now and then to firm things up and make sure he continues to eat.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@Shezbug @Pixiebeak To “go ham” on something means to go crazy. I’ll go ham on some good cheese, for example. Or Isadora will go ham on literally anything with wooden beads she can crack. I have a 19 year old, I think that’s the only reason I know the new language being spoken :roflmao:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Update on all this mess:
My vet can't see me today or this weekend (obviously due to holiday) and his poop persists to be runny. Despite the storm bearing down on the east, I'm gonna try to slip out before it gets too bad and get him some warm mushy foods and some probiotics. Usually when he acts off I start cleaning his cage twice to prevent any possible minor bacteria buildup and keep his cage as 'sterile' as I can. Any other advice would be great. Offering him small portions of cooked rice and oatmeal every now and then to firm things up and make sure he continues to eat.
You can make the warm mushy foods yourself pretty easily too - sweet potatoes, mashed peas, even mashing those with some rice would work as well.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Just a heads up. Don't store cooked rice in fridge then offer again. As stored cooked rice starts building up bacteria immediately in the fridge . And burds are way more sensitive to this bacteria than humans. Only cook and serve the rice immediately .

This is why I skip rice altogether. There are plenty of better options. Like quinoa, farrow, lentils, chickpeas, or pasta made from chickpeas or lentils.

You are also better off offering a little banana. But preferably cooked sweet potatoes or pumpkin to help stool.

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors

Sorry it took so long. Lighting at night isn't the best and even now this picture is incredibly blurry cause he was trying to climb on my phone and arm lol. I took the grating and whatnot out to keep an eye on the poop and clean it twice a day. His stool comes out dark green or brownish green but instead of the urate coming out white ish like it normally does, it just splatters clear. This looks slightly better than yesterday but still not his normal. His normal is dark green or green-brown with white urate and it coming out semi solid. 20221223_100234.jpg