• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel Owner Advice needed?

Pinkbear22

Moving in
im new to this forum and to keeping cocatiels and need some advice and thought this would be the best place to ask. I have kept birds before , I've kept birds most of my life. I've kept budgies, finches and love birds.

This is the first time I've had a cockatiel. I spent along time researching and thinking before taking the plunge. I went and saw many cocatiels before deciding on a lovely girl cockatiel called snow ball. I went to see her twice and fell in love with her. I got her from a breeder, She is 8 months old and is hand tamed. Each time I went to see her she flew straight to me she would let me stroke her, she stood on my finger and knew the step up command. She was a little sweetie.

I've had her since Monday. And since bringing her home she is like a different bird. She won't let any one near her she just flaps and flys around if you try and put your hand near her she hisses and bites. Even just trying to put food in cage she hisses and lunges towards you.

I believe she was kept in avery with other cockatiels when at breeders. Breeder gave us a small cage but it was ridiculously small she could not even stretch out. We had already bought a very large cage for her so when we got home we were going to move her to large cage. But she would not cone out of cage or let us near her.

We placed small cage inside the large cage and opened door by Tuesday afternoon she was still in small cage and refusing to come out. We tried tipping cage gently but she just clinged on to bars. I tried stroking her gently with a stick which she seemed to actually like and she even hopped on to stick. I tried to slide her out of small cage on stick but each time I got near tiny door she just flew off to other side of cage.

In the end my husband despite me telling him not to grabbed her took her out the small cage, then removed small cage. We have left her since to settle. Just sitting near cage and talking to her.

She is eating and drinking fine but most of time sits with back to us and won't even look in our direction. She has plenty of toys in cage but is yet to play with them. She just sits there. She was sitting at back of cage but has moved forward a bit. She also puffs up if you get too near and starts shaking

I don't want to upset her so have not tried putting my hand in cage or touching her since.

Could she be lonely now she is on her own. Is it normal for a hand tamed birds behaviour to change completely with new owner. Am I going to have to start training her from scratch again. Do you think she can be tamed again. I know it will take time and patience.

What should I do next.

Also I think she has only ever been fed seed. Is it bad to keep her on seed how do I go about switching to pellets. I am trying to give her vegetables and some fruits as well as seed but She is reluctant at moment.

Sorry for so many questions and hope some one can offer me some advice

Thanks in advance.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcomeavenue: It is normal for her, she is in a new home! Just stick around her and do things such as read a book aloud. Also, every time you are near her cage and she isn't trying to get away, put some millet in her cage (or a treat she likes). Positive reinforcement is the best way to train, in my opinion. Make your presence rewarding for her. As for converting to healthy foods, offer them in different ways. Just keep offering them, and pretend to eat them and enjoy it in front of her. You could try nutri berries, bird bread, mashes, chop and many other ways. I can't help much more than that, but @rocky'smom @Tiel Feathers @Sylvi_ should be able to help. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
First: congratulations on your new little girl. Second: her behavior is perfectly normal. Imagine a child being taken away from the only home she knew and is now in a strange place with strange people. She is scared and doesn't know what to expect. For all she knows you are a bird eating monster.
Third: your instincts are correct. Give her time and space. Don't force interaction (unless it is absolutely necessary such as to remove her from danger). Sit near her cage and talk to her, read to her, sing to her. But do not look squarely at her. Give her sideways glances. If she appears frightened when you are close then back up. When you walk past her cage drop in a treat and just keep walking. In time she will come forward when you approach. How long this will take is very individual. It may take 3 or 4 days or several months.

Lorie W.

Moving in
Real Name
Lorie West
This is exactly the sort of scenario I feared if I had gotten a bird (of any kind) - that would be just my luck.

I feel your pain and sure hope someone here can help guide you in the right direction.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Hi Welcome to the AVE.:welave:
first off she is scared, you removed her from her flock and brought her to new cage, new house, different people, different routine. interact with her without touching her for a few days. talk to her, read to her, whistle to her, any thing to allow her to become a member of your household. start a routine with her that means getting her uncovered the same time every morning feed & water her the same time every day, bedtime the same time every night. remember birdies need 12 hours of quiet, dark sleep time. I use lamp timer for good morning and night bed time. it helps. also hang some millet sprays in her cage as a treat. when she is ready to be not so afraid, she will move closer to you. let that happen for couple of days. then sit quietly in front of her cage with some millet in your hand, if she is interested she will come to your hand. remember no loud noises, just let her sit on your hand and have her treat. let this happen for several days too. now you are ready for 'step up' in your finger pinch a sunflower seed or millet ball open the door show her the treat and say step up. if she doesn't do it, no worries, try again later. she will get the idea.
search the internet for flock calls for a cockatiel and download it. when my little girl came home with me, she came from flock and was lonely for her mates. I download flock calls and it helped a lot that she could hear her 'people'.
she is cutie.:fidmagic:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do not force her to do ANYTHING! She probably has no trust in you, but the good thing is, if you follow the experienced advise here, you'll be able to build a good relationship.

Her world has been turned upside down, no pun intended. She scared, very scared. Never force anything on her. You'll need a lot of patience and compassion. She really does not have any idea what's going on. You were the nice person coming to see her at the breeders, which she knew as home - but for the time being, she is in an alien place and you are a person whose trust she will need to earn. She is surely frightened of you and husband. Let her have her smaller cage for the time being. It's her comfort zone.

I have an adopted tiel, Mr. Peepers, who came to us in a smallish cage. After a few weeks we put him in a flight cage and he freaked out, so he's in that smaller cage. He is not unhappy in it. To him, it's home.

Their grasp of time is very different than ours. Minutes to them are months to us.

If you are willing to step back and summon your patience, you can earn her trust, but every bit of progress must, must, must happen at her pace. At her pace.

OMG, forget the stick. Forget every attempt you've made and just leave her be. You can sit and talk to her, but hands off. Your husband does need to back away. She won't look at you because she is terrified. Don't force that, either. When she wants to look at you, she will. Talk slowly and sweetly to her. Not loud. Ever.

For now, leave her be. Hands absolutely off. Maybe she can be hand friendly in the future, but it's going to take months. You'll have to wean her off from an all seed diet to a pellet-seed diet. I forget the ratio at the moment, but don't worry about time frame. I feed Harrisons, but others here feed differently. Don't feed her the crappy seed from pet stores or the supermarket. My cockatiels get a pelletberry once a day, in the morning, with the Harrisons. At night they get a little millet. Like a small teaspoon. But again, do not change the diet, not yet.

Find an avian vet for her or at least a vet who sees birds. She will need a number of tests, have her feces tested for parasites and disease. She will need to have her blood tested too, to determine overall health and what changes you want to make in the future to diet and so on.

I don't have the most experience with tiels here. It's at least 13 years. So I have an idea of what I am doing, but other members have more knowledge. I hope they'll post. So please, easy does it.

Leave her be for the time. Absolutely no hands. Your husband made a BIG mistake by trying to force her out. I nearly choked on my water. So just take it easy. Pretty please.

She will let you know when she wants to interact. Progress is up to her and in her time. That's the biggest lesson I have learned in my years with my birds.

Last edited:

Pinkbear22

Moving in
Thank you every one for your replies. Im glad it's normal behaviour. I was just concerned that she has been handled and alway been around people and handled that her behaviour might be strange. But yes it must be very frightening being removed from her flock and having to get used to a new cage, new people and new home.

I thought she was probably very scarred. I'll continue what I'm doing and will give her time. I talk and sing to her. I am putting her to bed and waking her up at same time. I have millet sprays in cage and she loves it.

I have her in our living room at the moment and it can get a little nosy at times during day as I do have children, is it ok to leave her there or should I move her to a quiet room. I know cockatiels are social animals that's why I put her in living room so she would be near us and would get a lot of attention.

I have plenty of time to give her as I am a stay at home mum, my children have Autism, I am their carer and home educate them. So we are always at home.

my autistic sons loves birds the just sit near them and talk to them and could keep talking to them all day.
They adore snow ball. Should I move her to some where more quiet or leave her where she is.

rocky'smom its interesting what you say about flock call. I was watching tv earlier and in the programme there was a cockatiel and it chirped and she started chirping back. I thought it might be bad to make her think there was another bird around when there isn't so switched it off.

Is it ok to play cockatiel flock calls to her.

Thanks again

Pinkbear22

Moving in
Wasabisaurus I've just seen your post after posting last message, I will not force her to do any thing. I will back off and will not put my hands any where near. I was very angry with my husband.

Like I said in first post she is in large cage now should I put her back in small cage won't that just cause her more upset or should I just leave her where she is.

Regarding the stick comment you make it sound like its some thing you should never do ever. But when you read around on Internet about taming and training birds many people suggest using a stick as a extention of your hand to start with instead of putting you hand in so they don't get up set and you don't get hurt or bitten.

Is using a stick for training wrong is it a big no no. Is most people giving bad advice. I won't do it again. Only tried once and gently and she did seem to like it and enjoyed hopping on and off it. Like I said I won't try again.

I have a local avian vet and am about to register with them. But should I wait abit before taking her to vets. Surely this will just cause her more upset.

I would never buy cheap super market or pet shop food. I'll will try to slowly move her on to a high quality pellet. I will look in to the Harrison's pellets. At moment I'm feeding her same seed that breeder fed her.

Thanks for your advice it's much appreciated

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Stick training is OK in time. I should have been more clear. Sorry. Don't attempt it until she is more trusting and settled.

How is she with all the activity in the house? If she is shaking all time, I would put her in a quiet room where your members can go in to visit, but not all at once. If the kids like to run in the house, try to get them to not run around the bird. It will scare her.

It's great you have a avian vet! I would hold back on a vet visit. Ask the avian vet when you talk to him or her what's recommended. We took Mr. Peepers in as soon as we could.

How is she acting in the big cage? If she is not shaking and scared, leave her in the big cage to avoid more handling, but watch her carefully.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. As everyone said, she's scared. Although tiels normally like to be in the center of the action, moving her to a more quiet location may be a good idea until she settles in more. You can also try covering three sides of her cage with a blanket if she still seems really scared so she doesn't have to be on "alert" from all four sides. I wouldn't leave her in complete silence though as that can be scary too. When not with her, you can try playing some music or the TV. If your son sits and talks to her, that's great. :) I used to read magazine articles to my tiel so he would get used to me. Hand feeding your tiel treats, like millet spray, can also help tiels realize that hands aren't evil. :) And no diet conversions yet- let your tiel eat whatever she's used to eating for now. Too much stress isn't good. As far as diet goes, an all pellet diet can be too hard on a tiel's kidneys just as an all seed diet can be hard on their livers. Once she is better adjusted, worry about diet. Opinions differ as to "best" diet for tiels but I feed about 50% seeds, 15% pellets (actually nutriberries) and the rest vegetables, grains, etc. Just give it time. I'm sure your little bird will come around. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Wasabisaurus and Michelle and the others have given you good information. The fact she is from a breeder origin means she is going to be easy to tame; she already is tame, but is really afraid and freaked out because of the new situation. I generally allow my new birds, cockatiels included, to spend a week in their home cage or the new bird cage without any distractions except me walking up and giving treats. The cage is always covered on three sides to decrease the activity in the birdroom (I have a free flight birdroom) and the new bird only has to worry about other birds coming to the front of the cage. That way the new bird meets everyone in the birdroom but is safe. They also learn when I approach the cage they always get a treat; even if they won't take the treat from my hand, I put it in their feeding bowl to eat later.

Once the bird has gotten used to me and to the noise in the birdroom, I start pushing the covers back from the sides of the cage and let them interact more with the birds in the room. I also start sitting beside them and talking to them or reading out loud or whatever, first just fifteen minutes a day then up to half an hour a day. At the end of two weeks, I open the cage and the bird lets themselves out when they want to be out.

Will she step up for you if you put your hand in the cage? You said she came to you at the breeders; that was in a familiar place for her. If she will step up for you, sit beside her during a quiet time and get her step up. Remove her from the cage and talk and pet her. Later, after she is calm with coming out for you, open the cage and let her come out and go to you. Just keep working with her and she will become tame again.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
And welcome to AA!
Your new little bird sounds like a sweetie! You have received some really great advice so far, so I really don't have anything to add. Tiels are wonderful little birds, and it sounds like she will become more comfortable fairly soon, just remember to take it slow.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats on your cockatiel, she sounds like a little darling.
As everyone has said, take things slow and at her pace. If you try to force anything, it's a huge step backwards.
Building a relationship with parrots takes tons of time and patience as they are prey animals by nature.

I would continue talking slowly by her and just spending time near her(reading a book etc.) to show her you mean no harm.

Once she seems more comfortable with your presence, which could take weeks or more, you could start to offer millet spray or another high value treat.
It took me about 8 weeks to get my new addition lovebird, Kumo, to take a nibble of some from my hand but it was so worth the effort. Now he fearlessly goes for it daily when I offer it and is becoming much more trusting and confident.

So just take things slow, and remember she is very scared right now. She needs time and you have a lot of it to give as she'll be with you for another 20-30 years.
Good luck with her! :)
And welcome to AA!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She's a beauty!
Everyone has great suggestions.
She's scared. I would not do any more grabbing or cage switching.
Leave her in the big cage now but make sure its against a wall in sort of a protected area.
The covering of 2 or 3 sides might help her feel safer. Its good she can see you but she needs time
to get used to all new new things. Take care of her needs. Talk to her & give her treats but let her pick the pace. Go about your business & let her watch. Keep the kids from running by the cage or touching the bars.
She came to you in the aviary so there is a happy future ahead but you have to go slow & be patient.

Pinkbear22

Moving in
Thank you every one for your replies this is a lovely friendly forum and your all so help full. I really appreciate the advice. She seems a little more relaxed since last night. Her cage is against a wall and one side is almost against a wall just enough space to open a side door to change water. As cage is in a corner at moment.
Yesterday evening she started moving around cage more exploring jumping around the different perches and around the sides of cage. She even flew to front of cage once. And peered out before moving away again.

I have kept my distance just Near her but not looking at her and talking to her, singing and whistling.

She knows where her food and water is and is moving happily around to get to them and seems to be eating and drinking fine.

She has seemed a bit more active again this morning moving all around cage. She seems to make a game of jumping off a perch in to food bowl then climbed out and back on perch and doing it again. She likes to sit in the food bowl as well especially at night. I guess because it feels safe and some times birds get fed up with perching. I'm worried that food will get contaminated. Is it ok for her to sit in food bowl any thing I can do to stop her.

She has come to front of the cage several times this morning to look around. Then moved away quickly. She has been more vocal this morning also. Strangely when I leave room she starts making a noise as soon as I come back in she goes quiet and looks away.

At the moment she is back sitting on her favourite perch quiet with her back to us turning her head occasionally.

My children are not noisy children as in running around screaming their heads off. My oldest son is 12 he has autism and spends most of his time, reading or on his computer so always quiet. My second oldest son also has autism, hyper mobility, dyspraxia and many other conditions. He is also quiet he can't run around as he gets tired very quick and has pain in his legs. Quiet often when we go out we have to use a wheel chair.

He spends most of his time when not doing school work. Playing with his Lego or his model railway or listening to music or using his sensory equipment.

My daughter is 7 and also has autism she hates toys and won't play with toys she just sits a draws and paints. She loves art.

So I don't think noise will be a problem but if I see she is getting distressed I will move cage.

One other question is is ok to keep one cockatiel on there own should I have got 2. Should I get her a friend in the future.

Thanks again

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hold off on that friend for now. I think it's a good thing to have two of the same birds so one is company for the other, but all in good time. You can consider that later. What kind of perches do you have for her? My guys have all natural wood perches. Dowel perches are not good for their feet. One or two are OK, but you should have other perches made of bird safe wood. Also, some people like those hard concrete pedicure perches, but I think they are too hard on the feet.

Pinkbear22

Moving in
I was not thinking of getting a new friend now I ment in the future like later in year or next year. Not now. She has 3 perches at the moment all are natural wood perches. Cage came with one of those hard concrete perches but thought it looked horrible and not comfortable. So never put in cage I got rid of it and got natural wood perches instead. How many perches do they need. She also has a swing and a fairly large dangly toy also natural wood.

Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It depends on your set up.I have two natural wood perches and two rope. My tiel also loves his ladder. As your tiel gets more comfortable with her cage you might want to add more toys. Most tiels like shredding toys. I'm glad she is settling in. :)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snuggles, who's in a roomy flight cage, has a calcium perch, a tall ladder, 2 rope perches and 4 natural wood perches. He mostly sits on the ladder, staying close to the new tiel, Mr. Peepers, who prefers his smallish cage to the flight cage.

He has 3 natural wood perches and a short ladder now. When he agrees to go into the big flight cage, he'll have at least four natural wood perches and a calcium perch.