• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New carpet

Grigals

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! So we are renting a new place and about to move our 5 birds in. The only problem is the owner installed new carpet just over 2 weeks ago now. We got the keys on Wednesday and have had the windows open and fans on ever since but it just hasn't helped with the 'smell'. I've tried sprinkling baking soda through the carpet and leaving it overnight and also placed dishes of vinegar throughout what will be the birds room. The birds are supposed to move in tomorrow and I'm so worried. What should I do? I am going to steam clean the carpet this afternoon too but I don't think it will help much.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wonder if cut onion would help like it does with paint fumes

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Do you know if they stapled or glued the carpet down? Glue will add to the smell.

Here's a site that has some suggestions some are what you've done, but also suggests onions and apples.

(As a total aside, I never heard that about onions! Neat)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you know if they stapled or glued the carpet down? Glue will add to the smell.

Here's a site that has some suggestions some are what you've done, but also suggests onions and apples.

(As a total aside, I never heard that about onions! Neat)
Omg.
I’ve never heard of carpet being glued down.