• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I got my new budgie two days ago. Yesterday, she was very active and happy and chirpy. Today she hasn't moved at all or made a sound and she keeps closing her eyes when I look at her. This is my Ella

Attachments

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
Are there any signs of heavy breathing, tail bobbing, or sneezing? Lethargy can be early symptoms of an illness. Maybe she just had a sleepless night after being introduced into a new home. I hope the best for her.

Non activeness is very common for new budgies, so it's nothing to necessarily stress out over.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Not really. She's been breathing heavy on and off since I got her. But she was eating earlier. Her vent is clean and so are her nostrils. I wouldn't be worried if she weren't so active yesterday.

Last edited:

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
Not really. She's been breathing heavy on and off since I got her. But she was eating earlier. Her vent is clean and so are her nostrils. I wouldn't be worried if she weren't so active yesterday.
It's normal for her to breathe heavy due to stress, but it should only be when you are near her. If she is trying to sleep, and having breathing problems, something might be wrong.She should be exploring her cage though. My lovie explored every nook and cranny of his cage before settling on his favorite perch.

I hate to worry you, but I'm only speaking on my personal experiences. My little budgie never had any mucus or abnormal poop. He was active and playing with toys despite being lethargic and struggling to breathe, and he ate right up til the hour he passed.

Perhaps your best bet is to keep a very close eye on your new budgie, and monitor her behavior. You should see to getting a vet visit scheduled ASAP. Sick or not, it's always best to have one scheduled so that you can have reassurance from a certified avian veterinarian.

I think you're just stressing out over nothing, but it's best to be sure.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
It's normal for her to breathe heavy due to stress, but it should only be when you are near her. If she is trying to sleep, and having breathing problems, something might be wrong.She should be exploring her cage though. My lovie explored every nook and cranny of his cage before settling on his favorite perch.

I hate to worry you, but I'm only speaking on my personal experiences. My little budgie never had any mucus or abnormal poop. He was active and playing with toys despite being lethargic and struggling to breathe, and he ate right up til the hour he passed.

Perhaps your best bet is to keep a very close eye on your new budgie, and monitor her behavior. You should see to getting a vet visit scheduled ASAP. Sick or not, it's always best to have one scheduled so that you can have reassurance from a certified avian veterinarian.

I think you're just stressing out over nothing, but it's best to be sure.
She explored yesterday and she's getting a bit more active. She was just eating she's breathing okay. I've only ever seen her breathing heavy when I pushed her boundaries. Her poop is good too.

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
Then you honestly don't have anything to worry about.

I would advise getting a vet visit set up.

She is such a cutie though.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your budgie. Hope she is doing well. If you continue to have concerns then best to take her to the vet.

BudgieMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Montana
Ah what a cutie!
If she has droopy wing laboured breathing or loss of appetite then she might be ill
but please check with the vet.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Ah what a cutie!
If she has droopy wing laboured breathing or loss of appetite then she might be ill
but please check with the vet.
Her wings are nice and tight against her back, unless she raises them when something scares her. Her breathing is only heavy when I push her boundaries. And she was actually eating seeds from my hand earlier! And thank you!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think I read somewhere that if a bird is really scared they sometimes close their eyes.

She may just be nervous. I would go real slow with her till she feels more comfortable in her new surroundings.

Also, it's hard to tell from the pic whether or not her cage is up against a wall? It's a good idea to have atleast one side of the cage against a wall so they don't have to be on guard from every side all the time.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I think I read somewhere that if a bird is really scared they sometimes close their eyes.

She may just be nervous. I would go real slow with her till she feels more comfortable in her new surroundings.

Also, it's hard to tell from the pic whether or not her cage is up against a wall? It's a good idea to have atleast one side of the cage against a wall so they don't have to be on guard from every side all the time.
Thanks for the advice! I think in that picture I had moved her cage to my couch because I was playing in the living room and didn't want to leave her alone, but her normal spot in my bedroom has the backside against the wall.