• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird, new worries

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
This week I'm going to pick up a two month old pearl white faced Cockatiel, independent, an absolute cutie. I think it might be female but it's still too young for me to know and I'm probably not getting a DNA test anytime soon. Either way I'm going to name it Plato since my last bird was named Socrates.

But since socrates passed away I'm really paranoid with the birds I pick and although Plato always seemed pretty healthy he is always in a very round and kinda fluffed up form, with his crest mostly down ((it moves but not too much)) I hope everything is fine with the little thing, I don't want another bird dying early on in its life.

I've added a photo, tell me what you think personally and if it's behavior seems normal to you please!

Attachments

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Beautiful congrats :chipmunks:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When you bring a new bird home, a vet check it always recommended.

That bird is a chick/baby, and I find that the babies are more rounded whilst weaning and growing.

What is the chick eating?

@Tara81

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
When you bring a new bird home, a vet check it always recommended.

That bird is a chick/baby, and I find that the babies are more rounded whilst weaning and growing.

What is the chick eating?

@Tara81
It still eats formula once a day, nutribird a21, it also is eating seeds really well and it should be fully independent this week or next one. The breeder says it's the one who eats the most, both formula and seeds out of all its brothers and sisters.

Id like to take it to the vet but my parents won't allow me to and we can't afford a vet bill right now. Exotic vets are really really expensive where I live and even a check up would cost a couple hundred

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you can´t afford the vet bill, why are you buying a bird? Especially an unweaned bird?

I do not know where you are from, but how much is the chick going to cost you to buy him?

Do you have experience handfeeding?

Have you tried to convince your parents of a vet visit? (I´m sorry if that sounds obvious) The bird could have mites or anything for all you know, and you are bringing that into your home.

Also breeder beware - some lie or bend the truth. I´m not saying that is the case, but it´s something to keep in mind. The breeder could have said that to all the people about to purchase a chick.

What cage do you have for him?

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
If you can´t afford the vet bill, why are you buying a bird? Especially an unweaned bird?

I do not know where you are from, but how much is the chick going to cost you to buy him?

Do you have experience handfeeding?

Have you tried to convince your parents of a vet visit? (I´m sorry if that sounds obvious) The bird could have mites or anything for all you know, and you are bringing that into your home.

Also breeder beware - some lie or bend the truth. I´m not saying that is the case, but it´s something to keep in mind. The breeder could have said that to all the people about to purchase a chick.

What cage do you have for him?
I'm not taking him until he is independent. I have handfed my previous Cockatiel so either way I have the experience of handfeeding a bird. And I'm buying a bird because I've loved them since I remember being alive and love to care for them. I am still a minor so there is limits to the care I can give it but I assure you I've followed every rule to give this bird a happy life

It's gonna be 50€, a standard price here

I have tried to, of course, I would love to be able to, but it's something I probably won't be able to do anytime soon. I'm moving out in a year so when I do I'll bring the bird and hopefully then I can bring him to vet visits. Either way I will not sacrifice something I've wanted forever and that would make me happy because of my parents

Yes I am aware of that but I'd like to believe the breeder is telling the truth. Hand raised cockatiels are super easy to sell here where I live so I don't believe he'd have to lie to be able to sell them but that could be a reality

My cage is slightly above the minimum required Cockatiel cage size (20 x 20 x 24 imches), rectangle shaped. I've made my research for over 3 years now so living conditions won't be a problem. My only concern is it's health

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
my parents won't allow me to and we can't afford a vet bill right now. Exotic vets are really really expensive where I live and even a check up would cost a couple hundred

I agree if you cannot afford to care for this bird then let someone who can take the bird home. Life is long for you now so waiting is a good option.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not taking him until he is independent.
Ah ok, sorry it wasn´t very clear from previous messages.

Either way I will not sacrifice something I've wanted forever and that would make me happy because of my parents
But what about the bird? Why should he suffer because you want a bird? He doesn´t get to choose where he goes and he will miss out on vet care just because you want him.
I hope that makes sense.

What about getting a part time job so you are able to pay for vet care etc? Is there maybe a local shop you could work a few hours in? In an ideal world your parents would foot the bill as they are the ones purchasing the bird. But we all know this world is not perfect.

I just worry that one day something will happen. Maybe an accident or injury (we all know how prone tiels are to night frights) and I would hate for you to be left with the worry and stress of an injured or sick bird and no way to fund a vet visit. If that bird gets sick and your parents don´t fund a vet visit and that bird dies, you will be the one carrying the guilt and I would not wish that upon anyone.

Imagine that bird is fluffed up because he is sick... you take him home with no vet check up, and he dies in a month... then what?

Re-read the title of your thread... You haven´t brought the bird home and you are already worrying. That is not good for you.

I hope you understand, I say all of this with yours and the birds best interests at heart. I´m not even saying you should not buy a bird, I´m saying there needs to be something in place to ensure if that bird needs to see a vet, he sees a vet. You need to have access to funds, be it your own or your parents.

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
I agree if you cannot afford to care for this bird then let someone who can take the bird home. Life is long for you now so waiting is a good option.
That sounds inconsiderate. I can't take it to the vet but I'm completely able to give it a comfortable life

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It needs wellness checks on a routine basis. What will you do if your bird gets sick or injured? When you have any kind of companion animal in your life you are taking on a huge responsibility. A comfortable life includes vet visits.

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
Ah ok, sorry it wasn´t very clear from previous messages.

But what about the bird? Why should he suffer because you want a bird? He doesn´t get to choose where he goes and he will miss out on vet care just because you want him.
I hope that makes sense.

What about getting a part time job so you are able to pay for vet care etc? Is there maybe a local shop you could work a few hours in? In an ideal world your parents would foot the bill as they are the ones purchasing the bird. But we all know this world is not perfect.

I just worry that one day something will happen. Maybe an accident or injury (we all know how prone tiels are to night frights) and I would hate for you to be left with the worry and stress of an injured or sick bird and no way to fund a vet visit. If that bird gets sick and your parents don´t fund a vet visit and that bird dies, you will be the one carrying the guilt and I would not wish that upon anyone.

Imagine that bird is fluffed up because he is sick... you take him home with no vet check up, and he dies in a month... then what?

Re-read the title of your thread... You haven´t brought the bird home and you are already worrying. That is not good for you.

I hope you understand, I say all of this with yours and the birds best interests at heart. I´m not even saying you should not buy a bird, I´m saying there needs to be something in place to ensure if that bird needs to see a vet, he sees a vet. You need to have access to funds, be it your own or your parents.
I understand where you're coming from. When my previous bird got sick at first me and my parents had already bonded so we sacrificed tons of money to keep him well, medicine and vet visits. But as for normal check ups it's just not possible and it's kind of sad that I'm being judged as a care giver for something I cannot control. Of course I want him to be well and live a long life, that's obvious, but as of now a vet checkup will not be possible.

Besides I live in a very small and poor European country, people who get birds usually don't treat them right, buying small cages and feeding them on a seed only diet, and I'd like to believe I'm helping a little one be happy instead of going to one of those houses

Btw I can't part time at my age, it's illegal ((I'm almost 17)) here you can only part time from 18. Some people my age get one with help of friends and family without anyone knowing but I don't feel comfortable doing that. I do commissions online which pays for the toys, food and also payed for the cage, but it's not enough for a vet bill

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A comfortable life includes vet visits.
Vet visits are part of the package of owning pets.
I don´t want to know how much I have spent on vet care in the last 7 years, I think I would be sick. But we don´t have a choice. It is the life of owning a companion animal.

Like I said earlier, I know you are a minor. You need your parents to accept this or have a part time job to be able to pay for vet visits.

How old was Socrates? and why did he pass away?

But as for normal check ups it's just not possible
The first check up when you buy a bird is not a normal visit. It is important.

Besides I live in a very small and poor European country, people who get birds usually don't treat them right, buying small cages and feeding them on a seed only diet, and I'd like to believe I'm helping a little one be happy instead of going to one of those houses
I live in a little european town where birds are treated like garbage. 20 day unweaned chicks sold for 10 euros, suggesting they make great gifts. The animal cruelty where I live is rife!
I do all I can for my birds, I have to get cages imported as the biggest cage avail here is basically a travel cage. I still take them to the vet.

What if I was one of those other people? You do not know where the bird would end up? Another potential buyer could be someone like me who will take the bird to a vet and give them a good cage and love. We do exist.

I worked part-time at 13 in the UK. Look it up, it isn´t legal. I also sold cigarettes and alcohol, defo not legal. But I completely understand not everyone wants to do that.

I think the best you can do is try your best to convince your parents that a vet visit is very important.

You know them better than anyone, I hope you can do it.

Edit:

What if you asked your parents to pay you for some chores? and save all the money in a pot.
Ask neighbours if they want their car washed?
When I was 15, I used to look in for my neighbours elderly mum, I would make her a cup of tea and close the curtains and sit and talk with her for an hour. I enjoyed that very much and I got paid. Maybe there is something like that you could do?

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
How old was Socrates? and why did he pass away?
Socrates was a few months old when it happened. He got a digestive disease, the vet explained that he couldnt digest food which made his crop very full yet he was incredibly skinny. I took him to the vet at the first sign of badness, and was able to catch the disease on an early state, although I wish I'd noticed sooner, but as you know with birds it's very hard to identify. With the treatment and medicine he seemed like he was doing alright but one day he passed away during the night, which no one was expecting.
The first check up when you buy a bird is not a normal visit. It is important.
I know that and as I have been telling you I really want to have one. I want to make sure hes/she is fine. I've been trying to convince my parents, I swear I have. But it doesn't seem like it's working
I live in a little european town where birds are treated like garbage. 20 day unweaned chicks sold for 10 euros, suggesting they make great gifts. The animal cruelty where I live is rife!
I do all I can for my birds, I have to get cages imported as the biggest cage avail here is basically a travel cage. I still take them to the vet.

What if I was one of those other people? You do not know where the bird would end up? Another potential buyer could be someone like me who will take the bird to a vet and give them a good ca
Of course!! And I do hope all its brothers and sisters go to a good home, although I doubt so, I'm not saying that there's not good owners out there. I'm just saying that there are way more horrible ones so I go by the odds. I'm not taking this bird in because I want to save it as well, I'm taking it in cause I want to care for a bird.
I worked part-time at 13 in the UK. Look it up, it isn´t legal. I also sold cigarettes and alcohol, defo not legal. But I completely understand not everyone wants to do that.
I would love to be able to work and make my own money, but I don't feel comfortable with that. Either way this summer I'll be trying to take a part time at a restaurant my parents worked at, although scared, it's a restaurant that pays well so I can get some savings in case something bad happens like it did to socrates

think the best you can do is try your best to convince your parents that a vet visit is very important.

You know them better than anyone, I hope you can do it.
That's what I'm trying to do. I appreciate and understand your concern. And I am trying my best to do so. Maybe after socrates passed they'll be more cautious and allow a vet visit after they take a liking to the bird. They bonded to socrates so fast so his death affected them as well, and I'm hoping that experience gives them a little push to let me have a check up for Plato.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Socrates was a few months old when it happened. He got a digestive disease, the vet explained that he couldnt digest food which made his crop very full yet he was incredibly skinny. I took him to the vet at the first sign of badness, and was able to catch the disease on an early state, although I wish I'd noticed sooner, but as you know with birds it's very hard to identify. With the treatment and medicine he seemed like he was doing alright but one day he passed away during the night, which no one was expecting.
I´m very sorry for Socrates, but do you think, that with an initial vet visit, maybe this would have been caught sooner, like you say? Maybe you can use that to your advantage when convincing your parents. Like, ¨we should get him a check up and hopefully we can avoid the problems and big bills we had last time...¨
Or something along those lines.

I know that and as I have been telling you I really want to have one. I want to make sure hes/she is fine. I've been trying to convince my parents, I swear I have. But it doesn't seem like it's working
I know you do, that is the worst bit. I can see you care but just don´t have the funds, leaving you stuck in the middle. Do you have any siblings? Maybe they can help you to convince your parents?

Either way this summer I'll be trying to take a part time at a restaurant my parents worked at, although scared, it's a restaurant that pays well so I can get some savings in case something bad happens like it did to socrates
This is good.
Why don´t you ask to borrow the money from your parents for the initial vet visit, and tell them you will pay them back when you have a summer job?
Don´t be scared, you will be ok. First jobs are always nerve racking. I got my first legal part time job at 16, waitressing. I was so nervous but I loved it and made good friends.

Maybe after socrates passed they'll be more cautious and allow a vet visit after they take a liking to the bird. They bonded to socrates so fast so his death affected them as well, and I'm hoping that experience gives them a little push to let me have a check up for Plato.
I agree. They know how much a sick bird costs. The last thing they will want is another. Between this and offering to pay them back, I´m really hoping you will be able to persuade them.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
What mutation/colorations do the parents have?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
The mother is completely white and the father looks just like him, pearl white faced
It's a girl , as long as you don't have mom and dad mixed up :] == pearl whiteface father + lutino whiteface = 100% male chicks whiteface (split to pearl and lutino) and 100% female pearl whiteface. Sex linked traits need both mother and father to have them for the boy to show them (in this case - both need to be pearl for the boys to be pearl - since they are not - this cannot be a boy) . Is papa bird a young male? Usually male's lose their pearls within 1-2 years unless their pearl pied (in this case whiteface pearl pied)

Last edited: