• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New behavior

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Lada's behavior is changing again. Its amazing how much parrots change with time! She is now starting to let out this very loud high pitched chirp (sounds exactly like a VERY loud smoke alarm low battery indicator) at certain times usually when I first come into the room. She is not imitating anything that I know of. No Microwave sounds. Real smoke detectors are fine and always have been. Could be from the finches? Really, I think its just an attention seeking/begging type call. Its not a contact call as she doesn't do it when I leave the room. Its more of a, hey I want something type call and I guess somehow I have reinforced it with time unknowingly so she is doing it more. I am now working on trying to alter the behavior by not acknowledging the behavior, putting her back on her stand or cage, or leaving the room until she stops, but I wanted to get some suggestions from everyone here (what they would do in my shoes).

I'm also a little worried about her during the day time while I am away. I recently put up a camera so I could monitor her while away at work, and I noticed today that she was pacing in front of the cage door. She usually does this when I arrive home for obvious reasons but today it was strange because I had already been gone for a few hours. Made me worried about her. I have been spending a lot of time with her recently and it made me worry that perhaps this has the negative effect of causing a lot of separation anxiety when I leave for work or while away in general. Luckily I only work 4 days a week and I work second shift, so I am only gone for a few hours before she usually goes to bed (lights cut off automatically for bed time) which hopefully helps to reduce her feeling of separation. I do sleep in usually in the mornings, but a lot of times if she is particularly rowdy in the morning I will let her out on her cage/stand or she will snuggle up with me and sleep until I wake up. In her cage she has lots of toys, lots of foraging stuff, lots of new soft chew materials (Yucca and basal), she just generally doesn't like these things (but they are available to her anyways).

Oh it should be noted that she makes the noise when coming out and once out with me when I get home. This is what has probably been reinforcing the behavior. Hard to avoid though as I need to get her out. I guess I could either wait until she calms down to let her out, or let her out and then just ignore her until she calms down. Please give me thoughts on all the above. Thank you!

Obligatory cute picture to follow. Take a good look because her feathers are massively growing back in yahoo! All her grey under coat will hopefully be hidden soon.

PS. I know I need to get her a new cage. She is still in her temp adoption cage which is too small in my opinion. I just have not found one I like yet. Its hard to shop for cages online. I need to see the cage in person first ideally.

MVIMG_20180618_010952.jpg

Last edited:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I find my boy changes his behaviour every few months. Picks up a few new sounds, becomes comfortable with something he wasnt or has created a new game somehow.

Atm its all the animal sounds he loves to repeat and say hi/bye in context. Hes also started tapping everything and occasionally you get a knock knock joke out of him. He also thinks its hilarious to climb my picture frames and then fly off making them fall. I enjoy watching the progress.

Try not show your worry too much about lada. These guys are so perceptive. My boy is always quiet post my rotating nightshift. Im also pregnant atm and he watches me sleep on couch without a peep. Like im amazed because normally you cant shut him up. Same courtesy is not given to my hubby.

A bigger cage would be a great idea but cant really see the size of your present one. Where arw yoy located? I can recommend a good online supplier in Australia.

I find fruit/vegetable skewers are really good foraging and waste hours. I try hang mine in hard to reach places. I also leave radio on for my boy and occasionally leave the dog inside when out so he has a mate. Maybe sone of these things could help lada settle in?

Cant wait to see all her feathers come in. What happened to poor darling?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Atm its all the animal sounds he loves to repeat and say hi/bye in context.
Cute! I wish Lada would talk :(

A bigger cage would be a great idea but cant really see the size of your present one. Where arw yoy located? I can recommend a good online supplier in Australia.
Its definitely too small, or at least not ideal. You can kinda see it in this video:

I am in Raleigh NC. Problem is, I would like to see the cage in person first.

I find fruit/vegetable skewers are really good foraging and waste hours.
Yeah that's not a bad idea. I may give that a try and see how she likes it.

I also leave radio on for my boy
Yup same here.

What happened to poor darling?
We think nesting behavior started it.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Since you believe the feathers situation is due to nesting its been suggested to provide a slightly lower calarie/nutrient diet to deter wanting to breed.

Things mentioned to me for homones to avoid as been corn, high fructose fruits and high fat seeds and nuts. My boy doesn't get much of these anymore and improvement in behavior has been amazing. Also corn can have a toxin on it so i now i dont serve raw but cooked.

Your doing a great job :super: