• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Additions - Golden Shouldered Parrots

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Oi you lot!!! What is this???? Gerard's Zoo???? :lol:In which natural history text does it claim that Ekkies, Lories and Alex's are Psephotus Grass Parrots. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Whats you talkin bout Willis? Seriously tho, he hasnt outright said he WONT get another parrot? Wonder which one it will be. Mmmm

Last edited:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Are you planning on breeding them? Or keeping them as pets?
They are beautiful :)
There is a reasonably good population of approximately 3000 Golden Shouldered parrots in captivity. At this stage mine will be kept as pets, but I may breed them if there are any significant changes to amount of GSPs in captivity. The first aim after getting them settled after the first couple of weeks will be to get them onto a better diet. :)
wow! how stunning. thank you for giving me history and information on the species! are there any efforts in Australia to breed and release young golden-shouldered parrots in the wild
Ahhhh, this I think would prove to be difficult due to their basic aggressive nature and unusual nesting habits. Unlike many of our parrots Golden Shouldered Parrots are not flock birds, which means that unlike a cocky that can learn the ways of the wild by joining a flock, GSPs would have to learn on their own. One of their biggest predators in the wild is the Grey Butcherbird and I have to very closely supervise my birds when I put them outside, because they are not afraid to attack a bird through the cage bars. Captive birds wouldn't have the same awareness of predators. While it's not impossible the odds would be stacked against it. :(

As for their breeding habits, they dig a hole in an active termite mound for a nest. The hens lay the eggs inside the termite mound because inside the mound is "air conditioned", keeping the eggs at a constant temperature and means that the hen doesn't need to sit on the eggs or chicks to keep them incubated. Setting up an artificial version requires the use of a heated nest box with a 12-18" length of PVC tube filled with dirt at the entrance. The hen will then dig through the dirt in the PVC pipe to get to the nest box. My Hooded Parrots do the same thing and interestingly many of our large monitor lizards also use termite mounds to incubate their eggs. ;)

For those who want more info here you can find more on them including the recovery of the species :)
Golden-shouldered parrot (Department of Environment and Heritage Protection)
Interesting to note that we are definitely an impact by not understanding that the bush in Australia NEEDS fire to regenerate and keep the habitat well for it's wildlife.
Lack of proper burning in the wetlands and overgrazing has lead to their decline. :(
Yeah...inaction plans... :rolleyes: I'm tipping if you went and asked State Treasury to show you the expenditure linked to this particular supposed "action plan" you'd waiting for the results of a ten year search while they just tried to figure out what the hell you were waffling about. :meh: These are the type of policies that designed to satisfy the likes of environmentalists, naturalists and conservationists without actually doing anything. Governments are often boffins of BS and not much else unfortunately. :shifty:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations on the new arrivals! :xflove: :xflove:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They are really really beautiful so congrats! :heart:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Thanks everyone for the kind responses. :) To @JAM, @CeddysMum, @Vegemite, @CheekyBeaks and @InTheAir, it's so awesome to see the Aussie tradition of taking the piss out of each other is still alive and well. :roflmao: @Vegemite, there's not a snowflake's chance of hell of catching up to you :eek:, but I have caught up to @JAM :confused: and @CeddysMum was wise to stop at one. :laugh:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!!! :laughing12:

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
So, do any aviculturists grow those grubs in nest boxes?
I know some of the guys at our local club grow maggots, they give detailed talks on the best methods at club meetings :depressed:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
:huh: Not that I'm aware of Claire, but the lack of humidity in Victoria compared to Queensland would make it difficult to grow those particular grubs here. I don't know of anyone using maggots here either. That's not to say it can't be done though. :)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Opps, i should clarify: the maggots were for food. .. I immediately decided I don't want any pets that require me to grow maggots and played on my phone through that meeting! Can't even remember what birds they were for.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm horrible with names, but just want to say "congrats"!! :dance4:

They are stunning. :heart: Can't wait to see the male in full "colors" .. would be interesting to see a progression as he matures in the changes.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Beautiful, and thanks for the informative information!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Wow- Congrats! Beautiful..
@ArtBird!!! It's wonderful to see you around the traps Celia. We've all missed you and I'm sure @vmashley03, @RJ Noodle, @GuineaPigster and many others have as well. :)
Opps, i should clarify: the maggots were for food. .. I immediately decided I don't want any pets that require me to grow maggots and played on my phone through that meeting! Can't even remember what birds they were for.
It's not unusual for aviculturists to feed many of our smaller parrots mealworms for some extra protein given that virtually all grass parrots are on a seed-based diet. :)
I'm horrible with names, but just want to say "congrats"!! :dance4:
They are stunning. :heart: Can't wait to see the male in full "colors" .. would be interesting to see a progression as he matures in the changes.

Thank you! As you've probably gathered by reading through this thread, Golden-Shouldered Parrots are a pretty special little bird to Aussie bird lovers. One of their closest relatives the Paradise Parrot is already extinct, but the Hooded Parrot and Mulga Parrots seem to now be holding their own. Their other relative, the Red-Rumped Parrot, thrives locally and I often see them just a few clicks out of the CBD of Melbourne.

One of the benefits of being part of a global community such as Avian Avenue is that the journey and joy of discovery and the wonder it brings never ends...even for experienced hands such as yourself. May it always be this way. :)

Reactions: JAM