• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Additions - Golden Shouldered Parrots

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Most people who have known me since I first became a member here would be aware that I've been on the hunt for a pair of Golden Shouldered Parrots for nearly two years. :)

GSP104.jpg

But being able to snaffle a quality pair of birds has proved to be quite a difficult task. :(

GSP106.jpg

Golden Shouldered Parrots are one of Australia's rarest parrots and are a highly endangered species. While habitat destruction and a very limited home range has played its part determining their current plight, wildlife smugglers really brought this species to its knees and it is estimated that only a mere 1500 pairs still survive in the wild on Cape York Peninsula in Northern Australia. :unsure:

GSP107.jpg

Fortunately there is a reasonable population of Golden Shouldered Parrots kept in the aviaries of Australia's Aviculturists. This particular pair are approximately 12 months old and the male (at the back) will need another 6-12 months to become "fully coloured-up". ;)

GSP108.jpg

Golden Shouldered Parrots are very closely related to Hooded Parrots (my avatar), but much smaller and weighing in at a diminutive 40-45g are very similar in size to a budgie. Like Hooded Parrots the male Golden Shouldered Parrots run on hormones 12 months of the year and are fairly aggressive birds. The rule when keeping these birds is one pair per cage or aviary and no other birds should share their quarters. :cautious:

GSP110.jpg

Tomorrow it's off to the Avian Vet to be checked out and have their leg bands removed...and while they're out of their cage we'll populate their cage with a few more toys. Unlike my other birds they took to their Banksia Pod swing straight away and it didn't take long for them to find their food and water despite the 3 hour drive home. Golden Shouldered Parrots are considered to be one of Australia's most beautiful birds and once the male is fully coloured-up will look like the adult male pictured below. :wideyed:

GSP111.jpg

I hope you've all enjoyed an introduction to a species of parrot the most members here will have never seen before and if anyone has any questions please fire away. :)

GSP101.jpg

So for at least the next month they'll be residing down the far end of the house in the spare bedroom for quarantine. I'll post some more pics once they've settled in properly. :)

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Finally pictures yay! Congratulations Gerard an awesome addition and you succumbed in the end. :dancing:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, they are stunning, Gerard! I am in awe of your good fortune to have them and help them thrive and survive!

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
What lovely birds! Congratulations on the addition.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Congratulations they are stunning :) Have you named them yet?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats, Gerard! I can't wait to see the after pix -that will be quite a transformation! Gorgeous birds! :heart:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Congratulations they are stunning :) Have you named them yet?
Not yet my friend, but I think it will be a good excuse to have new Avian Avenue competition...keep your eyes skinned on the Contest Corner thread in the next few days for the announcement. ;)
Congrats, Gerard! I can't wait to see the after pix -that will be quite a transformation! Gorgeous birds! :heart:
Hooded Parrots go through a similar transformation. Many of our male parrots look like their female counterparts when immature and acquire their adult colours as they mature. :) Crimson Rosellas are probably one of the most amazing to see, because they all start off as green. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are just stunning, Gerard. Congratulations. :hug8: And thank you for sharing the information as well. I had never heard of this species!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Love them! I look forward to seeing more photos as they mature :)

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Congratulations! Beautiful birds!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Stunning. I love your birds coloring. They are all just beautiful. Congrats on finding them too!

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) Wow Gerard there simply stunning.
..congrats

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
They are beautiful Gerard congrats

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful. Can't wait to see pictures and learn more about them as they mature. Love learning about new bird species.

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
wow! how stunning. thank you for giving me history and information on the species! are there any efforts in Australia to breed and release young golden-shouldered parrots in the wild

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! They are stunning birds!

Matt

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Gerard, they are beautiful and I cannot wait to see the male in the future! Congratulations :laughing12: