• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help!

Shyld

Meeting neighbors
I've had my parrotlet for about a month now. He likes being with us, hanging out on our shoulder, our head and on our fingers. He screams a little when we leave the room too (which we try to not encourage by not getting back in till he calms down.

I want to start training him, but he doesnt seem to like any treat we give him! He trows them away without touching them.... Any ideas on how to reinforce desired behaviours?

Also, any ideas on how to get him used to finger scritches? I know he likes them, because he uses a perch in his cage to give himself some, and he liked them one time before.... But now he tries to bite our finger and flies away...

Thank you!!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My p'let would open his beak as if to bite when I approach my finger, but if I let him set the pace then he will "bite" very gently like to taste my finger, and offer his neck or jaw. Then I'll touch him softly, sometimes just letting him use it without moving, sometimes gently scratching or striking. But this is a trust thing, and I reckon your bird doesn't know you well enough yet to allow that. Give it time.
As for treats... what have you tried?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Look for posts from @Monica . She has provided numerous training tips and help.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
What treats have you tried? Sunflower seeds work for many birds, but they are very fatty so you can only give them a few a day (Luka doesn’t like sunflower seeds though, so not every bird :D). Millet is a popular favorite. Lafeber nutriberries are another great, popular treat. My p’lets like classic, tropical fruit and El Paso. I’m trying out the popcorn blend right now, but I don’t think they like it.

Scratches are not always welcome. If he’s playing or doing stuff, then he may not be in a cuddly mood since he’s busy. You have to pay attention to body language. If his feathers get slick and he leans away when you go for a scratch, then he just doesn’t want one. Even cuddly birds have moments or days where they don’t want scratches.

You’ll have more luck asking if he wants a scratch before going to pet him. I hold my finger up near their head and make a scratching motion. If they want a scratch, their head gets fluffy and leans towards the finger. If they don’t, then they lean away or simply look at the finger. He might ask for scratches more as you guys bond and grow closer. Some birds don’t like to get scratches. Scratching his head on a perch is not the same as getting human scratches. It just means he has an itch ;)

He’s biting you now when you attempt to scratch because you’re not watching his body language. He’s saying no and you’re not listening. So then he bites you to make the message more clear.

Last edited:

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Millet and Safflower seeds were great for ours. Also, egg, pomegranate seeds, corn, or strawberries, all of which he loved.

For getting used to finger scritches, that's about both the p'let's mood AND building trust. Birds aren't like dogs, they're more similar to a cat, where they sometimes want your touch and attention and other times they just don't. If your parrotlet is showing body language that indicates they don't want to be touched, such as opening their beak up, or leaning away, that's a signal to you, it says "don't come any closer or I will attack/run" try to wait until you have built up your friendship for a bit longer and you'll probably find him sitting right next to your hand begging for you to scratch his head and cheeks. Just give him some patience and space when he shows he's not interested. Curtis used to only really enjoy a headscratch once he was settled in, puffed up, and sometimes when he was sleepy, but he usually would abruptly decide he hated it in the middle and then nip lightly at me and i would stop haha.

Keep spending time together and I promise you, he will trust you more. Especially if you don't push your luck trying to pet him when he's not in the mood to be scratched. Teach him that being near you means a comfortable space. I would also suggest trying when he's a bit tired a little before bedtime, when he is yawning or grinding his beak. Just try not to rush your movements, go slow and watch for signs that he's about to bite (pulling in his feathers, opening his beak aggressively) or leaning like he's trying to avoid your finger, because that means if you move closer, he's gonna fly away.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Helps to know what you are currently feeding and what you have tried as far as treats go.

As for scritches, you could teach him to bow his head and allow you to touch (not scritch) his head, and eventually work up to scritches.