• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help On Convincing Clinic to Do X-ray,Really Distressed

Lady Min

Meeting neighbors
Hello guys,

I made a recent post on how I'm severely stressed out about my birds' health (and still am). Their fecal test results came back negative for everything except slight streptococcus,which they said was normal.

They were exhibiting subtle symptoms which I considered aligned with Avian Gastric Yeast and some other respiratory problem,among other observations.

I emailed the university clinic that did the droppings test for me,but got no response and called them back today. They said that the avian vet there does not think they have Avian Gastric yeast,despite all the aligning symptoms I'm seeing. I don't think she addressed my concerns about megabacteria being shed intermittently and just said they do check for it and explained the procedure-which I know.

The receptionist/assistant vet told me that if they are not visibly sick, then I do not need to subject them to the stress of bringing them all the way to get procedures like crop washes/crop swabs or an X-ray done which are already stressful,and adamantly refused ,saying they would not do any of that for me. So I suppose now the option of a cheaper clinic is out. As per usual vets think I'm overreacting. I'm just really sad and stressed.

I even explained to her that I had seen one of my budgies chewing on the cage bars and I'm concerned they may have ingested metal,as to why I wanted to X-ray. (He's not showing any 'serious' symptoms,just I've noticed single seeds in 3 of his droppings the past week,and he has his regular squeaking-coughing fits daily).

My budgie Annabeth had white/light green droppings the past few days,but I think they stopped now? (I have to change the paper again and observe once more.) The past month she was making neck movements like she was going to vomit,but nothing came out.

My only options left currently are X-ray at a nearby private clinic with regular vets (which I need help convincing them to do before they also think I'm crazy,cancelling out my options), and sending them off to get a crop swab done at a distant clinic with a pet transport service (they too said,if the birds seem very stressed out they wouldn't do it,and this one involves me having to trust these new vets while not there,amongst other issues).

I have read that in Avian Gastric Yeast,an enlarged proventriculus can be shown in X-ray. Late July/early August I noticed 2 small bloody droppings in 2 separate weeks.The droppings are now regular,save for the 3 single seeds. Can X-rays show excess mucus? Do only barium contrast X-rays show metal pieces? One of the first times Annabeth vomitted was because she swallowed paper towel roll pieces,and she spit them out-that was last year though.

Everytime I have to interact with a new vet clinic I feel as though I'm at my wits end and get really depressed at them dismissing me. Does anyone have suggestions on any words I can say to ask about getting an X-ray done?

This is the link with videos of all the stuff I've observed. At this point,I really can't tell if I'm overreacting.They do appear active and normal for the most part,and just nap during the afternoons for a few hours. Please help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did this vet do a gram stain on the birds crop? This is a test where by the vet prepares a slide with a swab of crop cells and looks under a microscope. Both yeast and bacteria can be seen if it is there. About 6 to 7 years ago, on the advice of the breeder I got my budgies from, I fed corn on the cob. This is the cause of AGY in those budgies. Treatment was a long time with amphoteracin B and antiemetics. I also tried holistic treatments but dispite the effort the both entered into the wasting stage of the disease. I felt this was cruel to let them continue weight loss and the reat of it so my vet euthanized them. I have never recovered from that loss.
There was alot of vomiting. Alot of head bobbing, weight loss dispite eating. What happens in the wasting stage is the nutrients are no longer absorbed so the bird litterally dies from malnutrition. I share this with you so you will know what the symptoms were presented. Good luck

Last edited:

Lady Min

Meeting neighbors
Good day @Lady Jane,thank you for your reply

I have read a lot of your posts here in the past about Avian Gastric Yeast,and they have been quite helpful,and as a result I have not fed any corn to my budgies.

In short,I wanted to go to the university clinic where I wanted to run the whole gamut of crop swab testing for bacteria, fungi and parasites along with their fecals,X-rays and blood panels,but as the University avian vet who can perform these procedures was retiring,and not seeing cases,I was not able to get the procedures done.

I was told by his teaching assistant,a regular dog and cat vet, that I would only be able to submit fecals. I did so and all the results came back negative,save for streptococcus +1 in one fecal sample.

The vet assistant told me this was ok,and that the fecal results and videos were reviewed by the avian vet.

I called back today and spoke of my concern for avian gastric yeast, (which I emailed her about previously but never got a reply on) but she said that the avian vet does not think that they have it.

She then proceeded to refuse my request to get a crop swab/crop wash done,or X-rays and said it would be too stressful for the birds to bring them all the way and subject them to that.

She did not answer my query if a new avian vet was going to be appointed for the new semester,or if a new X-ray tech was appointed as she sees these tests unnecessary to perform as my birds are not visibly sick.

She said that they would absolutely not perform those tests for me.

My remaining options are to do an X-ray at a nearby regular vet clinic who have X-rayed birds in the past,or to send my budgies off with a pet transport service to an incredibly far off clinic where they may or may not perform the crop swab procedure.

I thought it was the safest bet to try and get the X-ray done first but I'm not sure about the best way to convince them to let me take one. I thought it would be a good idea to ask,as people here may have experience in dealing with such adversity.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
these tests unnecessary to perform as my birds are not visibly sick.
That’s not true. Birds are extremely good at hiding illnesses and injuries. They usually don’t show any symptoms in body language until they are urgently sick. I am not a veterinarian, just stating facts. :)

Lady Min

Meeting neighbors
I know!! I've read so many accounts of birds appearing fine and then just randomly leaving to be with God.

So me picking up on these subtle signs and no one taking me seriously even the supposed avian vet,never mind his teaching assistant, is making me really worried

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow you have been through alot of stress with this. Avian vets seem to be a disappearing breed. The best one I had brief contact with about AGY and my birds was Dr. Spear. He is in California and will often answer questions via email. That is what he did with me. He added to my knowledge by recommending to my avian vet at the time to offer the birds pain medication because AGY can give them a mighty big GI upset. I will see if I can get you a link to where he works. He is also an avian vet for The World Parrot Trust and usually on their web page.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Lady Min

Meeting neighbors
Thanks @Lady Jane

Actually I did come across discussion of Brian Speer,his email and experiences with him before in posts while scouring the forum

I was considering emailing him,but I am not sure what I'd ask him,because based on what I read he can give advice but obviously is in no place to make a confirmatory diagnosis without tests himself

Should I email him with the symptoms anyway and ask what he thinks? I guess he may be able to vouch for me in a sense

I wasn't sure if to go to him after I got an X-ray diagnostic done

Man if I ever moved to America,I told myself I'd want to live right next to his clinic