• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My rescue screams ....a lot

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
Hi All,
I'm new to this but hoping for a bit of help....without judgment please. I have adopted a Goffin Cockatoo named June. She is absolutely amazing and beautiful and such a sweet sweet bird. She kisses and says hello and up up. I have recently taught her (almost) to say Love you. When she gives kisses I sing to her "Loooovee yoooouuuu" so now she'll kiss and go "yoooouuuu" It's super cute, anyhow.... For the past month or so she has begun to scream first just at night but now several times through out the day.... even when I or (we) are in the same room. I have tried EVERYTHING. New toys (check) foraging toys (check) ignoring the behavior ..... this is the trouble. I have teens in the house that can't seem to grasp to "ignore" the behavior, they will try their best but after a few minutes they cave and go get her. They are not mean to her or yell or anything they just go grab her. Sooooo I need some advice. How can I get her to stop or at least slow down her screaming? She is also a horrible plucker. I think this stems from her before humans whom were the only ones to own her before I. But they were elderly and the momma got sick and Dad had to surrender her which was super sad. I fell in love. Since then I have tried everything for her plucking. She wore a bubble for a while but she figured out how to pluck with it, so I got a bird cone, but I hate that she has to wear it all the time because the minute I take it off back to plucking she goes. Recently I have tried a more holistic approach with Bird Hemp oil. (animal grade) it has been helping the plucking, not enough to remove the cone just yet, but she finally has some pin feathers under her wing and left leg so she's not naked anymore there. It even calmed her screaming a LITTLE bit. So just curious of any tips / tricks to help me out with her. When we hold her she's fine, but obviously I can't hold her every single minute of every single day.

Thanks Everyone.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
this is the trouble. I have teens in the house that can't seem to grasp to "ignore" the behavior, they will try their best but after a few minutes they cave and go get her. They are not mean to her or yell or anything they just go grab her. Sooooo I need some advice. How can I get her to stop or at least slow down her screaming?
That is the trouble. Solution: get rid of the teenagers or start getting them to tow the line. If everybody isn't on the same page it will never work.

As a matter of fact by "trying" to ignore the screaming and then eventually giving in you are actually "increasing" the behaviour. Google "intermittent reinforcement" to understand what I'm saying.

Here's the basics on screaming. You'll probably recognize a lot about your situation once you read it.

screaming 101

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hi All,
I'm new to this but hoping for a bit of help....without judgment please. I have adopted a Goffin Cockatoo named June. She is absolutely amazing and beautiful and such a sweet sweet bird. She kisses and says hello and up up. I have recently taught her (almost) to say Love you. When she gives kisses I sing to her "Loooovee yoooouuuu" so now she'll kiss and go "yoooouuuu" It's super cute, anyhow.... For the past month or so she has begun to scream first just at night but now several times through out the day.... even when I or (we) are in the same room. I have tried EVERYTHING. New toys (check) foraging toys (check) ignoring the behavior ..... this is the trouble. I have teens in the house that can't seem to grasp to "ignore" the behavior, they will try their best but after a few minutes they cave and go get her. They are not mean to her or yell or anything they just go grab her. Sooooo I need some advice. How can I get her to stop or at least slow down her screaming? She is also a horrible plucker. I think this stems from her before humans whom were the only ones to own her before I. But they were elderly and the momma got sick and Dad had to surrender her which was super sad. I fell in love. Since then I have tried everything for her plucking. She wore a bubble for a while but she figured out how to pluck with it, so I got a bird cone, but I hate that she has to wear it all the time because the minute I take it off back to plucking she goes. Recently I have tried a more holistic approach with Bird Hemp oil. (animal grade) it has been helping the plucking, not enough to remove the cone just yet, but she finally has some pin feathers under her wing and left leg so she's not naked anymore there. It even calmed her screaming a LITTLE bit. So just curious of any tips / tricks to help me out with her. When we hold her she's fine, but obviously I can't hold her every single minute of every single day.

Thanks Everyone.
I have no too’s but i just wanted to say dont worry, we will not judge you!
Most of us will applaud you for seeking guidance, and not just banish your bird to some dark backdoor room where she will sit sadly and not enjoy life :( it happens all too often because people are afraid to ask!

So may i thank you for reaching out! I hope we can give you the tools you need :heart:

And teens are still children, for most children it is hard to watch an animal in a state they percieve as distress, dont blame your kids, they have a good heart :heart: but yes, it will take some time to learn them the bird is not really in distress ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That is the trouble. Solution: get rid of the teenagers or start getting them to tow the line. If everybody isn't on the same page it will never work.

As a matter of fact by "trying" to ignore the screaming and then eventually giving in you are actually "increasing" the behaviour. Google "intermittent reinforcement" to understand what I'm saying.

Here's the basics on screaming. You'll probably recognize a lot about your situation once you read it.

screaming 101
John says it all...in a plain, straight forward manner...as usual...

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Humans can be really hard to train, but it's not impossible.

I'd try rewarding the kids when they ignore June's screaming to see if that increases their ability to ignore it.
I really like this idea. As a mom of teens I think this is your way to go. Kids (even teenagers although it doesn’t always seem like it lol) are pure of heart. It’s probably near impossible for them to ignore the bird. They really do see it as “helping”.
I really hope everything gets better for you, good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a goffin and know how loud those screams can be. It's hard to do but ignoring really does work if you can get your kids on board. Goffins love attention so they quickly catch on that if they want attention they have to be quiet. As for plucking, have you tried any of the soft collars instead of a cone? Also, have you ruled out any health issues? Here's a link for some cute soft collars:

Protective Parrot Petals by Pam - Home | Facebook

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Humans can be really hard to train, but it's not impossible.

I'd try rewarding the kids when they ignore June's screaming to see if that increases their ability to ignore it.

That was an absolutely fabulous article