• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parent raised cockatiel!

Habiba2004

Checking out the neighborhood
I got a parent raised cockatiel he's so scared of me and I don't know how to tame him, he also can't sleep in the new house and he's so quite and only makes a sound when I show him videos of other cockatiels, so is he mad or happy? He's wings aren't clipped so I can't get him out of the cage and he's so scared of me, I sit beside him and sing for him and that's the only time he's not scared, I don't know what to do I'm really worried about him and I want to be his friend!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I kept cockatiels a while back. I'm my experience they are best kept in pair and/or large flocks. When you show him videos of the other birds, he is probably trying to interact with them. If you got him a friend, you would probably find that he would start to calm down and not be as scared, as he has 'support'.

When you sing to him, this will have a similar effect to having a partner that he could sing with. If you were to get it another cockatiel, you would not be able to have a perfect bond eighth your bird, as the bond will be between him and his partner. That being said, if you want the best for your bird, and I am sure do that you do, getting him a partner would probably be the best thing.

Things to remember if you get a second bird...
Quarantine
You may need a larger cage depending on the current size
You will not have the same bond, but the bird would be at ease, so forming the possible basis of an eventual friendship

I hope this helps

Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long have you had him? It can take awhile for a new tiel to settle in. So is he not in his cage? Is he getting food and water okay?

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
If you decide to get him another friend it may make him "happier" (not guaranteed) but it can make the bird less prone to make you his buddy.
Like others have said, How long have you had him? Even my super content tiel took a week or two to settle in.

edit: Sunnysmom, I think he is in the cage, I may be wrong but it sounds like Habiba2004 is worried he wont go back in the cage because he is flighted.