• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My green cheek is scared

Brenden

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brenden
so my green cheek conure 1 year just turned one so ive been noticing when i put new toys or show him something new hes terrified of it his toys take him like a day to get use to 3 days ago i showed him a duck tape roll and hes still scared of it but he loves me not scared at all comes up to me my mom when im gone every other week takes care of him but still bites her just worried he also loves his cage more than the outside

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Hi Brenden, welcome to AA!

Sounds like he's built up some experiences to become nervous in general. My budgies are currently very cage-clingy due to being startled by my lovebirds' sounds at times. Cage = safety zone.

How is he with your mom? Does your mom react loudly and suddenly when he bites? Do you know the cause of the biting [ is out of fear, or is it due to annoyance / anger / not getting what he wants ] ?

For the toys, you can try playing with it while he's with you as a way of introducing it to him instead of just showing / placing it directly in the cage. Also, there are just certain items that different birds dislike due to their different personalities, but if it is becoming a general trend for him to be terrified, then there may be something that scared him and he's still edgy from it [ be it a one-time incident, or something being repeated that builds up ].

It may help to spend more time with him in your mum's presence to get him used to her, if she doesn't mind. And if she's not used to birds / understand how to handle them, it would help for you to coach her / observe and see if she's doing anything that might make him uncomfortable. An example that a beginner or non-birder might do is asking a bird to step down, instead of step up onto a perch or hand. Birds have a very specific way of thinking that is not common knowledge to many people, so reading up on their behavior and also spending time with them is important for us to understand their cues and body language.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. I think it's pretty typical for birds to be scared of new things. I would have to put a new toy near my tiel's cage for a couple days. Then hang it on the outside for a couple day before I could move it inside the cage.

Brenden

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brenden
Hi Brenden, welcome to AA!

Sounds like he's built up some experiences to become nervous in general. My budgies are currently very cage-clingy due to being startled by my lovebirds' sounds at times. Cage = safety zone.

How is he with your mom? Does your mom react loudly and suddenly when he bites? Do you know the cause of the biting [ is out of fear, or is it due to annoyance / anger / not getting what he wants ] ?

For the toys, you can try playing with it while he's with you as a way of introducing it to him instead of just showing / placing it directly in the cage. Also, there are just certain items that different birds dislike due to their different personalities, but if it is becoming a general trend for him to be terrified, then there may be something that scared him and he's still edgy from it [ be it a one-time incident, or something being repeated that builds up ].

It may help to spend more time with him in your mum's presence to get him used to her, if she doesn't mind. And if she's not used to birds / understand how to handle them, it would help for you to coach her / observe and see if she's doing anything that might make him uncomfortable. An example that a beginner or non-birder might do is asking a bird to step down, instead of step up onto a perch or hand. Birds have a very specific way of thinking that is not common knowledge to many people, so reading up on their behavior and also spending time with them is important for us to understand their cues and body language.
i heard her yelling when he bit my mom yesterday i corrected her

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
There are different reasons for birds to bite / nip:

= A bonded bird nipping lightly as part of preening behavior. This is normally light nipping that travels along a line or area of the skin. If it is painful to the human, a soft high-pitched squeak without any startling movements can tell inform the bird that its painful and they will be more gentle naturally; as if grooming a flock mate in the wild.

= A bonded bird biting or nipping harder because it didn’t get what it wants / you did something ‘wrong’ / it was not allowed to bite something [ such as a computer wire ] because you are watching out for its safety. Here the bird is showing its displeasure ON PURPOSE so a firm ‘NO’ without too much volume or movement acts as a warning. Ease the bird away from you or leave the room if it continues biting, or remove the object that it wants. To be firm without being violent or aggressive to the bird.

= A bird unbonded to a certain human biting out of fear. This can come as quick sharp bites or even hard chewing with the full intention to break skin / cause pain to the perceived threat. In this case, reacting loudly and violently, even destabilizing his perch on an arm, and then leaving the bird alone is the wrong move. Not only does it reinforce to the bird that the bitten human is correctly perceived as a threat / predator / unreliable perch, but that biting makes the threat go away eventually. This reinforces wrong behavior and needs both patience and pain resilience to correct.

It sounds like he is biting her out of fear. Perhaps you need to figure out what causes him to bite [ a certain cue, body language, color? ] or try to cultivate the relationship he might have with her. If she needs to pick him up, using a suitable sized stick or a perch, and asking him to step up would be safer. Another note is to ensure she does not to tease him if he's in the cage [ie. putting her fingers near the bars and testing if he reacts] as many birds are territorial of their cage. He might view it as a predator attempting to invade a safe space. Offering treats through the cage bars may help make her seem more friendly. Talking to him soothingly as if talking to a toddler.

Would be good to have some play sessions with him with your guidance to learn how to handle him and to build trust. Have her feed him fruits or treats, either on a skewer stick, or later by hand when he is more comfortable. Try watching some youtube videos that explain parrot behavior, prioritize those that are specifically parrot training channels and not random youtube celebrities showing off their birds .