• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first African Gray... advice?

Kmck323

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kate
Hello all.... I'll be getting my first African Gray at the end of February... I am nervous as this is a bigger bird than I am used to. We had a beautiful Green Cheek Conure named Sunny that unfortunately passed away at the end of October... I absolutely adored her! She was high maintenance but for most part pretty easy to care for. Theyre also on small side so I didn't feel as intimidated by her haha!

What is some advice you could give us as first time owners? I have two girls ages 9 and 7. My husband is not crazy about getting one but he knows it's important to us and is forgiving ( lucky me!) I have a million questions and not even sure where to begin... the cage size, food, toys etc is not so much what I'm worried about...I guess I'm lookinG for more information as to what to expect, bonding/training, toy/perch/chew suggestions, time out of cage, etc, advice for SOMEHOW not getting poop all over our house haha ( impossible?) I can deal with it but this was a source of contention with my husband and I :( also conure poops are much smaller.... Any help/advice/knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Also any books that anyone has read that may be of help to us...thank you so much!

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Grey's are a lovely bird, congratulations! How old is your bird? My suggestions can be a bit more specific depending on age.

On the bird poop, it is mostly inevitable. My friends grey prefers to poo in his cage and will go back to the cage or nibble on your ear to take him there-wasn't trained but is a bird that does't get it all over.... Louise is known for her giant morning poos...so she doesn't come out before that mess. If she is with me, I take her to her cage every 20 minutes until she goes and then have her come with me again-minimizes the number of out of the cage clean-ups/or keeps them near the cage.
If you keep your bird on your shoulder, you will get it on your shirt rather than all over.... There are different opinions on if a bird should be on your shoulder, Louise does use me for a perch. Your bird will have preferences on toys so try new things: different types of wood (balsa, pine, plain, dyed), bells, foraging. Greys are notorious for being slow to warm up to new things-toys, food, walking by with a laundry basket they hadn't seen before. Louise got red feet/sore from the sandy perches so she gets natural wood. I open Louis's cage as soon as I get home and when I am home. She kinda does what she pleases, sometimes hangs out on her Java tree, cage top, my shoulder.. . Lately, she has spent more time in her cage--and that is something I am working with her on--I don't want her to be cage bound. Louise is free to fly where she wants-except by the stove... She usually stays on her cage/java tree, or on me...she will follow me to another room. Same with my friend's grey. I don't know of greys that spend time zooming around just to fly- but I only know a few greys.
Bonding, take it at their pace. Age affects this, a baby is more likely to warm up quick, and adult with habits and past relationships need to be explored and worked with. Every Grey is a bit different so there is much trial and error. And many change as they get hormonal--neither Louise or my friend's grey changed much at all through that (yet)--and the our birds have the same parents, different clutches.
I find talking with Louise to be a good strategy. I explain what is happening (getting you fresh water, I'm going back to the bedroom to change clothes, I'm going to clean your cage, change your papers....).
They are also a scritch fakers. I hear lots about they will bow their head like they want a scritch-then blamo, bite or strike. Louise does this and I know she never really wants a scritch...and if I do try, I get a beak bonk.
They are a dusty bird so you will need to find how they like to bathe-in the shower, in a bowl, gentle sprays....Louise is a bowl girl and only on her terms.
If I read it right, you have 2 children. Some greys will go to anyone, others are more of a one person bird. I wouldn't suggest they handle the bird until you have a feel for that and know the signals of an impending bite. They have pretty good beak strength, but again, varies by grey....Louise rarely bites, always signals so there is time to back off. She does bonk with her beak, usually in response to something new or cage cleaning where I don't follow the routine.

You have chosen a really lovely type of bird. You will enjoy your journey. I am happy to answer any questions, not an expert, but have been an owner and around greys for many years. There are other grey owners who are more expert and they will chime in also.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco is 22 and has had a rough life, and is a plucker but I'm OK with that, my previous parrot was a wild caught white front Amazon. I'll admit his size was intimidating. We have been together now for 2 years in March. I wouldn't trade him for the world. His intelligence still amazes me and he is so funny. He hoots like an owl, coos, says Paco is a pretty boy and various noises. He learned part of the Andy Griffith theme song. He likes his veggies warm and must be hand fed. He doesn't fly, he doesn't know how, but climbs down his cage to walk around on the floor. I had to do a lot of training with him. He was fearful and would bite. He never had a water bowl, his previous owners had a water bottle hanging off of his cage. I taught him to "scootch over" when I reached for his water bowl. I course I made sure his beak was full of a treat, can't bite with a mouth full. Now he scoots with out a treat. He was neglected and fearful of a lot of things. It took a lot of patience, a few steps forward and a lot back. He will poo in his cage and he sits on the cage door and I have paper under that as well. If he poos on the carpet when walking around I just have tissue ready. I can always tell since he is dramatic about it, he squats and kind of wiggles so I know what to expect, LOL He has a nasty bite but has not bitten me in 6 months. He will gently grab my finger when I had feed him but releases it immediately when he realizes its my finger. He will bonk me on top of my head when I clean his cage, kind of like a beak slam, but I am ready for it now and tell him no. They are like little kids and observe what you do. I'm like SweetLouise and tell him what I am doing everytime I am near him. Routine is great. He gets out every morning I ask him if he wants his goodies, fresh water, get his treats. Every evening same thing. Since he was so scared, I would tell him time to go nite nite, and I would close his door and count to 3, I do the same with the light. I read before bed, he is in my room, so I tell him, I"m going to make the bed, read a book. Nite Nite and he swings upside down. I tell him Paco swingin. I really thing routine is really good for them. My 3 year old granddaughter adores him and he took a treat from her. I was anxious but he was the perfect gentleman. I truly belive they pick up peoples vibes and children are so innocent.

Ask your questions here and please stay away from bird groups on Facebook. Many of those people mean well but do not have much experiece with parrots. This group here is fabulous and you will learn a lot. Welcome!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the loss of your conure Sunny. I was in a somewhat similar situation as you. When I lost my sweet cockatiel Sunny, I adopted a goffin cockatoo. I too was a bit nervous about the size difference. You get used to it pretty quickly. Now when I look at my tiels (I subsequently adopted/fostered tiels a couple years after getting my goffin), I think they're so tiny! LOL. I don't have Grey experience but one thing I wish I would have read up on more when I first got my goffin was training. I didn't really "train" my tiel. Things kind of just evolved. I think with a bigger bird training is important. I would suggest looking at the Good Bird website if you need a training resource.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Sunny. Is the CAG a baby or an adult? What do you know about it and its past?

It goes without saying that every bird is an individual and even within species generalities will differ, so I'll offer my experience with my CAG with no further caveats:

-I find my CAG to be more cautious, introverted, ponderous and intentional with her actions than other parrots I've had or have met. She is also more likely to spook at random things (me dropping my cellphone, me carrying a big package of toilet paper through the house) than other parrots I've been around. She'll spook at things she's seen a hundred times (toilet paper). Not sure why.

-They are very dusty, so plan to have an air purifier next to the cage and more throughout your home. I have my CAG in a King's corner cage (it has five sides and is shaped like a diamond) and attached a cloth shower curtain to two sides to funnel the dander in one direction toward the air purifier.

-I used to keep my CAG in a 36-inch long cage and upgraded her to a seven-foot tall King's corner cage. I think a lot of the smaller cages marketed toward CAGs are too small. I think the best cages are the ones marketed toward macaws and cockatoos. Just make sure the bar spacing isn't too big. In the end, the extra cost of a larger cage will mean nothing in the life and betterment of your grey. The extra space it will take up means nothing, either.

-I used to keep my CAG in a spare bedroom but now keep her in my living room, which I think is the best thing for a parrot if they can get adequate rest and darkness at night. They want to be part of the family.

-I had two fancy manzanita play trees for my CAG and once she grew more confident about flying (she was clipped when I adopted her at age 6), she started climbing down to the lowest branch and then jumping off. I sold one and put the other one in storage because she refused to use them. My CAG prefers walking on the floor, which I allow her to do under strict supervision and with all electrical wires hidden or secured. She likes to hang out on the low support beam of my coffee table.

-You cannot really control poop. My CAG just poops where she wants and I clean it up ASAP with toilet paper and water/vinegar cleaner. I have wood floors, so it's not an issue. If she's on my hand or arm, I just keep a stack of newspapers nearby and move her over them when she starts to signal that she needs to poop. It's very obvious. They poop less often than smaller birds, but the poop is bigger, so it's a tradeoff. I do think it's easier to predict poop timing with a bigger bird like a grey.

-My CAG loves destroying wood blocks and wood toys, but sometimes she mysteriously ignores a toy for months until I take it out. She especially loves balsa wood, which does not last long with a grey. I highly recommend getting several foraging and puzzle toys and rotating them.

-I feed a mix of veggies and multiple grains (quinoa, farro, etc.) in the morning and provide up to three pellets (Roudybush, Harrisons, Zupreem Natural) either mixed together or as a rotation of only one brand at a time, because some parrots will pick a favorite and ignore the others. Fruits offered regularly on their own.

-With training, just go slow and steady and always speak to your grey because they understand a lot.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Sunny. Is the CAG a baby or an adult? What do you know about it and its past?

It goes without saying that every bird is an individual and even within species generalities will differ, so I'll offer my experience with my CAG with no further caveats:

-I find my CAG to be more cautious, introverted, ponderous and intentional with her actions than other parrots I've had or have met. She is also more likely to spook at random things (me dropping my cellphone, me carrying a big package of toilet paper through the house) than other parrots I've been around. She'll spook at things she's seen a hundred times (toilet paper). Not sure why.

-They are very dusty, so plan to have an air purifier next to the cage and more throughout your home. I have my CAG in a King's corner cage (it has five sides and is shaped like a diamond) and attached a cloth shower curtain to two sides to funnel the dander in one direction toward the air purifier.

-I used to keep my CAG in a 36-inch long cage and upgraded her to a seven-foot tall King's corner cage. I think a lot of the smaller cages marketed toward CAGs are too small. I think the best cages are the ones marketed toward macaws and cockatoos. Just make sure the bar spacing isn't too big. In the end, the extra cost of a larger cage will mean nothing in the life and betterment of your grey. The extra space it will take up means nothing, either.

-I used to keep my CAG in a spare bedroom but now keep her in my living room, which I think is the best thing for a parrot if they can get adequate rest and darkness at night. They want to be part of the family.

-I had two fancy manzanita play trees for my CAG and once she grew more confident about flying (she was clipped when I adopted her at age 6), she started climbing down to the lowest branch and then jumping off. I sold one and put the other one in storage because she refused to use them. My CAG prefers walking on the floor, which I allow her to do under strict supervision and with all electrical wires hidden or secured. She likes to hang out on the low support beam of my coffee table.

-You cannot really control poop. My CAG just poops where she wants and I clean it up ASAP with toilet paper and water/vinegar cleaner. I have wood floors, so it's not an issue. If she's on my hand or arm, I just keep a stack of newspapers nearby and move her over them when she starts to signal that she needs to poop. It's very obvious. They poop less often than smaller birds, but the poop is bigger, so it's a tradeoff. I do think it's easier to predict poop timing with a bigger bird like a grey.

-My CAG loves destroying wood blocks and wood toys, but sometimes she mysteriously ignores a toy for months until I take it out. She especially loves balsa wood, which does not last long with a grey. I highly recommend getting several foraging and puzzle toys and rotating them.

-I feed a mix of veggies and multiple grains (quinoa, farro, etc.) in the morning and provide up to three pellets (Roudybush, Harrisons, Zupreem Natural) either mixed together or as a rotation of only one brand at a time, because some parrots will pick a favorite and ignore the others. Fruits offered regularly on their own.

-With training, just go slow and steady and always speak to your grey because they understand a lot.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for all this helpful information! I'm so embarrassed to say... I did not read about this issue with the CAG dust...this may be very problematic as I have a husband with asthma ( well controlled). If I do decide to get the CAG it will be a baby... fully weaned, hand fed, tame etc, DNA tested for some avian diseases etc... as of now they still don't have their feathers haha!

we didn't have any allergies to our conure ( but I know they have oil glands) so I'm really not sure how the CAG will fare with us. Do you find the HEPA air filter is efficient enough in controlling the dander?

So thankful I came to this site... are bird lung diseases something that is common?

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the loss of your conure Sunny. I was in a somewhat similar situation as you. When I lost my sweet cockatiel Sunny, I adopted a goffin cockatoo. I too was a bit nervous about the size difference. You get used to it pretty quickly. Now when I look at my tiels (I subsequently adopted/fostered tiels a couple years after getting my goffin), I think they're so tiny! LOL. I don't have Grey experience but one thing I wish I would have read up on more when I first got my goffin was training. I didn't really "train" my tiel. Things kind of just evolved. I think with a bigger bird training is important. I would suggest looking at the Good Bird website if you need a training resource.
I have to agree with you that training is very important with a bigger bird. I started training my conure but we weren't very consistent. I will definitely be checking out the website you mentioned.
I love cockatiels... and I love that we have same parrot name!

Thanks so much for your reply and advice. I will take it !! :)

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Grey's are a lovely bird, congratulations! How old is your bird? My suggestions can be a bit more specific depending on age.

On the bird poop, it is mostly inevitable. My friends grey prefers to poo in his cage and will go back to the cage or nibble on your ear to take him there-wasn't trained but is a bird that does't get it all over.... Louise is known for her giant morning poos...so she doesn't come out before that mess. If she is with me, I take her to her cage every 20 minutes until she goes and then have her come with me again-minimizes the number of out of the cage clean-ups/or keeps them near the cage.
If you keep your bird on your shoulder, you will get it on your shirt rather than all over.... There are different opinions on if a bird should be on your shoulder, Louise does use me for a perch. Your bird will have preferences on toys so try new things: different types of wood (balsa, pine, plain, dyed), bells, foraging. Greys are notorious for being slow to warm up to new things-toys, food, walking by with a laundry basket they hadn't seen before. Louise got red feet/sore from the sandy perches so she gets natural wood. I open Louis's cage as soon as I get home and when I am home. She kinda does what she pleases, sometimes hangs out on her Java tree, cage top, my shoulder.. . Lately, she has spent more time in her cage--and that is something I am working with her on--I don't want her to be cage bound. Louise is free to fly where she wants-except by the stove... She usually stays on her cage/java tree, or on me...she will follow me to another room. Same with my friend's grey. I don't know of greys that spend time zooming around just to fly- but I only know a few greys.
Bonding, take it at their pace. Age affects this, a baby is more likely to warm up quick, and adult with habits and past relationships need to be explored and worked with. Every Grey is a bit different so there is much trial and error. And many change as they get hormonal--neither Louise or my friend's grey changed much at all through that (yet)--and the our birds have the same parents, different clutches.
I find talking with Louise to be a good strategy. I explain what is happening (getting you fresh water, I'm going back to the bedroom to change clothes, I'm going to clean your cage, change your papers....).
They are also a scritch fakers. I hear lots about they will bow their head like they want a scritch-then blamo, bite or strike. Louise does this and I know she never really wants a scritch...and if I do try, I get a beak bonk.
They are a dusty bird so you will need to find how they like to bathe-in the shower, in a bowl, gentle sprays....Louise is a bowl girl and only on her terms.
If I read it right, you have 2 children. Some greys will go to anyone, others are more of a one person bird. I wouldn't suggest they handle the bird until you have a feel for that and know the signals of an impending bite. They have pretty good beak strength, but again, varies by grey....Louise rarely bites, always signals so there is time to back off. She does bonk with her beak, usually in response to something new or cage cleaning where I don't follow the routine.

You have chosen a really lovely type of bird. You will enjoy your journey. I am happy to answer any questions, not an expert, but have been an owner and around greys for many years. There are other grey owners who are more expert and they will chime in also.
Wow, I am so thankful for the time you put into providing me this information! I really appreciate it!
My CAG will be a baby... not sure it's exact age or hatch date. For right now they're being hand fed/tamed/ spoiled! They don't even have many feathers yet. If I decide it's a good fit, he/she would arrive at the end of February.
I loved reading about your beloved Louise... she sounds like a character! Part of reason we love our parrots! I enjoy hearing how other people care for their parrots and how in tune with them they are.. very interesting!

I had responded to another member below, but I am embarrassed to say I did not realize how dusty these birds were. This may be problematic for my husband who is asthmatic. We didn't have any problems with our sunny but i know a conures dander is much different. Do you have any personal experience with allergies or asthma with yourself or friends? Maybe we should consider his Eclectus? Ahhhh I am so sad about this!! And feel very foolish for not doing more research before putting down my deposit! Just not something I even knew about! Maybe an air filter and frequent baths will help....

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Paco is 22 and has had a rough life, and is a plucker but I'm OK with that, my previous parrot was a wild caught white front Amazon. I'll admit his size was intimidating. We have been together now for 2 years in March. I wouldn't trade him for the world. His intelligence still amazes me and he is so funny. He hoots like an owl, coos, says Paco is a pretty boy and various noises. He learned part of the Andy Griffith theme song. He likes his veggies warm and must be hand fed. He doesn't fly, he doesn't know how, but climbs down his cage to walk around on the floor. I had to do a lot of training with him. He was fearful and would bite. He never had a water bowl, his previous owners had a water bottle hanging off of his cage. I taught him to "scootch over" when I reached for his water bowl. I course I made sure his beak was full of a treat, can't bite with a mouth full. Now he scoots with out a treat. He was neglected and fearful of a lot of things. It took a lot of patience, a few steps forward and a lot back. He will poo in his cage and he sits on the cage door and I have paper under that as well. If he poos on the carpet when walking around I just have tissue ready. I can always tell since he is dramatic about it, he squats and kind of wiggles so I know what to expect, LOL He has a nasty bite but has not bitten me in 6 months. He will gently grab my finger when I had feed him but releases it immediately when he realizes its my finger. He will bonk me on top of my head when I clean his cage, kind of like a beak slam, but I am ready for it now and tell him no. They are like little kids and observe what you do. I'm like SweetLouise and tell him what I am doing everytime I am near him. Routine is great. He gets out every morning I ask him if he wants his goodies, fresh water, get his treats. Every evening same thing. Since he was so scared, I would tell him time to go nite nite, and I would close his door and count to 3, I do the same with the light. I read before bed, he is in my room, so I tell him, I"m going to make the bed, read a book. Nite Nite and he swings upside down. I tell him Paco swingin. I really thing routine is really good for them. My 3 year old granddaughter adores him and he took a treat from her. I was anxious but he was the perfect gentleman. I truly belive they pick up peoples vibes and children are so innocent.

Ask your questions here and please stay away from bird groups on Facebook. Many of those people mean well but do not have much experiece with parrots. This group here is fabulous and you will learn a lot. Welcome!
thank you so much for this information! How wonderful to hear now much you've worked with Paco. It sounds like your time, patience and experience has really provided him with a beautiful life. I love that he is hand fed...the CAG I am considering is still a baby and is being hand fed/tamed so I'm hoping we will he fortunatE enough to start some bonding at an early age with all family members.
I didn't know about the CAG dust... this may be problematic as I have an asthmatic husband...
Lucky for me ( haha!) I don't have a Facebook account... I am really looking Forward to learning from all you 'professionals!'
Thanks for your time... if you have any additional comments I'd love to hear from you!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Important to get a good hepa airfilter or two & I really hope the dust does not bother hubby. You can try for a family bird but once the bird matures you have no idea how it will change. Have to impress on young children 7 & 9 respect & best to get used to look but don't touch unless you supervise. Grays tend to bond with one person & can be reserved. You will have more challenges than just poop.
Even if you get them at a early age they could change there favorite person when they become adults. Nothing is certain except poop & dust.

That being said Grays are wonderful very intelligent birds. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Good read

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Wow, I am so thankful for the time you put into providing me this information! I really appreciate it!
My CAG will be a baby... not sure it's exact age or hatch date. For right now they're being hand fed/tamed/ spoiled! They don't even have many feathers yet. If I decide it's a good fit, he/she would arrive at the end of February.
I loved reading about your beloved Louise... she sounds like a character! Part of reason we love our parrots! I enjoy hearing how other people care for their parrots and how in tune with them they are.. very interesting!

I had responded to another member below, but I am embarrassed to say I did not realize how dusty these birds were. This may be problematic for my husband who is asthmatic. We didn't have any problems with our sunny but i know a conures dander is much different. Do you have any personal experience with allergies or asthma with yourself or friends? Maybe we should consider his Eclectus? Ahhhh I am so sad about this!! And feel very foolish for not doing more research before putting down my deposit! Just not something I even knew about! Maybe an air filter and frequent baths will help....

[/QUOTE]
i don’t have experience with asthma or allergies. Maybe if he could spend some time with a grey?
Nothing is sweeter than a baby grey....

I’ll tag a couple members with more experience and extremely helpful. Their birds have very touching backstories too.

@ncGreyBirdLady
@Danita
@Nikomania

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Welcome to the Avenue! I will admit that I'm smitten with African Greys.You have recieved some good info from other grey parronts.Each and every one of my Greys have a distinct and different personality.They all have a sense of humor and they know when I'm feeling down.It is sorta true that they do not like anything new if you try to put a new toy in their cage-but if the same toy is in another's cage they will have a ball with it.My main advice that I give everybody is that Our Greys did NOT read the book on how they are supposed to be/act etc etc etc.They are much like children, a result of how you bring them up.Maybe you would find some insight if you read
Gemini is 29 now and just as sweet and sassy as when she was younger:) A really good Hepa air filter will help with the dust-but will not completely take care of the dust. Keep us posted about your decision :hug8:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi and welcome!
I am owned by 13 birds, 3 of which are greys. As others have mentioned above the dust is something you will need to strongly consider with an asthmatic husband. They always produce dust, which is fine and easily becomes airborne. Even with hepa filters it won't eradicate it. Whenever I sweep out their pans or the birds flap or fly around, the dust goes everywhere.

You might want to have your husband consult with his pulmonologist first before committing. Just my 2 cents.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Definitely research and be super aware of grey dust.

I'm allergic to a lot (pollen, many trees, weeds, grass, cats, dogs, dust, etc.) and it's gotten worse with age. My allergist thinks this is partly due to once having a partner who had a cat. I'm so allergic to things that when they did the prick test (on both arms) my skin blew up so much that once it deflated back to normal, the skin peeled off like a sunburn.

I hadn't seen an allergist yet when I adopted my grey, so I wasn't aware of how sensitive I was. I adopted her right after my relationship with the cat owner. For years I got an awful sinus infection every fall that lasted for months. I could barely sleep, I was coughing all of the time and it took over my life. I almost called 911 once because it was so hard to breathe at night.

It took me awhile to realize my grey may have been contributing to it. Although I always had one air filter going I still got the sinus infection. I got two purifiers and took additional steps (the shower curtain in the back of the cage) to minimize dust, and haven't had a sinus infection the last few years. I don't notice anything different day-to-day with my breathing. (I do not have asthma.)

I don't know for sure that grey dust contributed to my sinus issues, but I'm sure having extra dust in the house can't be helpful for people like me. My allergist said I should have no pets of any kind. (I have two dogs as well; I didn't know I was allergic when I adopted them.)

For the sake of your husband, your family and your future bird, please think about this carefully and visit a grey in person if you can. It could potentially save you all a lot of heartache down the line. Honestly, for myself I would probably not adopt another grey if it came to that some point down the line. I would probably opt for a different species.

Good luck.

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Definitely research and be super aware of grey dust.

I'm allergic to a lot (pollen, many trees, weeds, grass, cats, dogs, dust, etc.) and it's gotten worse with age. My allergist thinks this is partly due to once having a partner who had a cat. I'm so allergic to things that when they did the prick test (on both arms) my skin blew up so much that once it deflated back to normal, the skin peeled off like a sunburn.

I hadn't seen an allergist yet when I adopted my grey, so I wasn't aware of how sensitive I was. I adopted her right after my relationship with the cat owner. For years I got an awful sinus infection every fall that lasted for months. I could barely sleep, I was coughing all of the time and it took over my life. I almost called 911 once because it was so hard to breathe at night.

It took me awhile to realize my grey may have been contributing to it. Although I always had one air filter going I still got the sinus infection. I got two purifiers and took additional steps (the shower curtain in the back of the cage) to minimize dust, and haven't had a sinus infection the last few years. I don't notice anything different day-to-day with my breathing. (I do not have asthma.)

I don't know for sure that grey dust contributed to my sinus issues, but I'm sure having extra dust in the house can't be helpful for people like me. My allergist said I should have no pets of any kind. (I have two dogs as well; I didn't know I was allergic when I adopted them.)

For the sake of your husband, your family and your future bird, please think about this carefully and visit a grey in person if you can. It could potentially save you all a lot of heartache down the line. Honestly, for myself I would probably not adopt another grey if it came to that some point down the line. I would probably opt for a different species.

Good luck.
Thank you... that sounds horrible! I can relate only a bit. I have horrible cat/dog allergies, cats much worse. My eyes blow up, I wheeze. We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and even if I pet her and touch my eyes and face...my eyes get very itchy and watery, nose congested. My husband doesn't have any documented pet allergies which is good, a lot of his is trees/grass etc, like you. I reached out to the breeder and told him my concerns. He also has an Eclectus available ( much less expensive) so Im hoping worst case scenario I don't lose my deposit, maybe he can just transfer it to Eclectus. What about moving the bird outside in Summer months? It seems as though Grays may not adapt to that too easily. And meaning just while we are out there, not abandoning him/her alone... just thinking of some other options

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Hi and welcome!
I am owned by 13 birds, 3 of which are greys. As others have mentioned above the dust is something you will need to strongly consider with an asthmatic husband. They always produce dust, which is fine and easily becomes airborne. Even with hepa filters it won't eradicate it. Whenever I sweep out their pans or the birds flap or fly around, the dust goes everywhere.

You might want to have your husband consult with his pulmonologist first before committing. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you! I cant believe you have that many pets! That is really really cool... my girls would be in their glory.. my dream is to build an outdoor aviary.... too cold in CT during winter though. What about moving the birds outside in the summer months wile we are out there? I mentioned it to another member.. or is that too much change for them?

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
Welcome to the Avenue! I will admit that I'm smitten with African Greys.You have recieved some good info from other grey parronts.Each and every one of my Greys have a distinct and different personality.They all have a sense of humor and they know when I'm feeling down.It is sorta true that they do not like anything new if you try to put a new toy in their cage-but if the same toy is in another's cage they will have a ball with it.My main advice that I give everybody is that Our Greys did NOT read the book on how they are supposed to be/act etc etc etc.They are much like children, a result of how you bring them up.Maybe you would find some insight if you read
Gemini is 29 now and just as sweet and sassy as when she was younger:) A really good Hepa air filter will help with the dust-but will not completely take care of the dust. Keep us posted about your decision :hug8:
I love your story about Gemini!! Why did they send him to you so small? did you report them? How did that happen? Is Geminis neck better?? I would love to see a pic of him sometime... what a love!

I emailed the breeder about my mistake...I feel like such a dummy..Im wondering worst case scenario if he will transfer deposit to an Eclectus he has available.. do you have one of these as well??

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you... that sounds horrible! I can relate only a bit. I have horrible cat/dog allergies, cats much worse. My eyes blow up, I wheeze. We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and even if I pet her and touch my eyes and face...my eyes get very itchy and watery, nose congested. My husband doesn't have any documented pet allergies which is good, a lot of his is trees/grass etc, like you. I reached out to the breeder and told him my concerns. He also has an Eclectus available ( much less expensive) so Im hoping worst case scenario I don't lose my deposit, maybe he can just transfer it to Eclectus. What about moving the bird outside in Summer months? It seems as though Grays may not adapt to that too easily. And meaning just while we are out there, not abandoning him/her alone... just thinking of some other options
Some people do keep their greys in outdoor aviaries and I'm sure it can be done very well. Check out Wings N Paws on YouTube and Instagram. I'd be concerned about keeping any parrot outside unless you can spend a huge amount of time with them outside and inside the house.

The thing about greys is that not only do they produce dust, but their size means they produce a lot of it and most of the time when they come out of their cage they will cling to the side of the bars or the top and furiously flap their wings for exercise, which will kick up all the dust on the bars of the cage, the bottom of the cage, the floor and on all the surfaces surrounding the cage (or their play tree). All my mitigating meausures (air purifier, shower curtain) don't stop that dust from getting kicked up. Expect a dust storm every day or every other day.

I've never had an eclectus, but they have very specific diet requirements.

Good luck.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have an aviary our birds spend all day in, outside in summer, but we bring them in at night. Rodents, raccoons, etc. could get to them, so we don't take that chance. Car sounds, bright lights, etc are also an issue. I also never feed my birds outside in the aviary as bees can sting them & they can have an alleric reaction. My B&G Macaw got stung & had to have shots.

Cage size should be the biggest you can fit in your house (thru your doors) , with appropiate cage bar spacing.

Dust is a huge issue. We have 2 floor model size HEPA filters running 24/7 & still have a lot of dust. A flap of the wings & dust in the bottom of the cage goes flying. Showers help, but you will always have lots of bird dust. With your husband having asthma I would suggest considering the Eclectus instead.

Most CAG's are not hands on birds. Most don't like to be held, petted or cuddled. They do this head drop, rub me fake thing & when you try they nail you. They can strike fast like a snake. They like to walk around on the floor & sit near you, but they are mostly hands off.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I emailed the breeder about my mistake...I feel like such a dummy..Im wondering worst case scenario if he will transfer deposit to an Eclectus he has available.. do you have one of these as well??

Im glad your enjoying Geminis story.There are pictures of her throughout the story chapters.I think the reason they sent her so young was only for the money! I could never get ahold of him again.Geminis head is still and always be upside down 1610121706677.png She does not know that she is different.I also have Gigglebutt with the exact same problem(torticollis) I had a male Eclectus(Echo) many years ago-He was an excellent talker and a sweetheart 1610122506682.png An Eclectus would be a better choice as far as them not being a dusty bird-but I do recommend doing as much research as possible cause they represent a whole different ballgame(so to speak) 1610122872436.png