• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first African Gray... advice?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! I cant believe you have that many pets! That is really really cool... my girls would be in their glory.. my dream is to build an outdoor aviary.... too cold in CT during winter though. What about moving the birds outside in the summer months wile we are out there? I mentioned it to another member.. or is that too much change for them?
That will help for a few months, but for the months where it's way too hot or extremely cold you will still be facing the same issues of dust once you bring him back inside.
We have an outdoor aviary, but it's not used 24/7 by all birds.

Kmck323

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kate
I emailed the breeder about my mistake...I feel like such a dummy..Im wondering worst case scenario if he will transfer deposit to an Eclectus he has available.. do you have one of these as well??

Im glad your enjoying Geminis story.There are pictures of her throughout the story chapters.I think the reason they sent her so young was only for the money! I could never get ahold of him again.Geminis head is still and always be upside down View attachment 369147 She does not know that she is different.I also have Gigglebutt with the exact same problem(torticollis) I had a male Eclectus(Echo) many years ago-He was an excellent talker and a sweetheart View attachment 369148 An Eclectus would be a better choice as far as them not being a dusty bird-but I do recommend doing as much research as possible cause they represent a whole different ballgame(so to speak) View attachment 369150
oh my gosh, I love these pictures!!! you are an angel! The eclectus under the blanket... how hilarious!

Ive decided to go with the Eclectus... I am doing as much research as I can. I am really interested in parrots but it is all very new to me, just in the last couple years. After having my conure, I understand why people love parrots so much. I am so thankful for people like you with lots of experience because I have to start somewhere! I really didnt want to take the chance bonding with the CAG only to have to rehome him. We would all be heartbroken. Why did you not get another eclectus? Do you have any resources you could recommend?

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
We have an aviary our birds spend all day in, outside in summer, but we bring them in at night. Rodents, raccoons, etc. could get to them, so we don't take that chance. Car sounds, bright lights, etc are also an issue. I also never feed my birds outside in the aviary as bees can sting them & they can have an alleric reaction. My B&G Macaw got stung & had to have shots.

Cage size should be the biggest you can fit in your house (thru your doors) , with appropiate cage bar spacing.

Dust is a huge issue. We have 2 floor model size HEPA filters running 24/7 & still have a lot of dust. A flap of the wings & dust in the bottom of the cage goes flying. Showers help, but you will always have lots of bird dust. With your husband having asthma I would suggest considering the Eclectus instead.

Most CAG's are not hands on birds. Most don't like to be held, petted or cuddled. They do this head drop, rub me fake thing & when you try they nail you. They can strike fast like a snake. They like to walk around on the floor & sit near you, but they are mostly hands off.
I have heard about this trick they play from multiple people! When my conure got nippy, she bit hard...I cant imagine what a CAGs bite is like, never mind on little hands. I am very interested and would love to own one, but Im thinking its not the best fit. We have decided to go with the Eclectus...seems to be better fit for allergies/asthma and overall temperament.

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate
That will help for a few months, but for the months where it's way too hot or extremely cold you will still be facing the same issues of dust once you bring him back inside.
We have an outdoor aviary, but it's not used 24/7 by all birds.
Thank you so much...I have decided to go with the Eclectus...I think it will be a much better fit for asthma/allergies and overall temperament. I would hate to get attached to another bird only to have to rehome it. Parrot ownership is very new to me, only over past year and a half...Im grateful to have found all of you.

What do u think of Eclectus parrots?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I am glad you are doing more research into the right bird for your family, there health & everyone happiness into the long future. After all family comes first & young children can get traumatized if bitten especially by a big beak. It would be traumatic for all if you had to re home.

Eclectus would have to be a male as females are more aggressive & frequently only get along with a chosen one. I still don't know if any bird esp a big bird is a family bird with very young children but it would depend on the children & the supervision.
Eclectus have fairly specialized diet requirements so get all the info before making your decision.

I've only been around a young female handfeeding eclectus & a adult male Stanley who was reserved & went about his business as he belonged to the bird store owner. He was fine & did not bother anyone but did not want to be touched by strangers

StanleyVE pam pet .jpg

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do study up on their dietary needs, which are a bit different from other parrot species. Too much protein, for example causes toe tapping and twitching.
My ekki is an absolute love!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
This book would be a really good resource for you to get!
I'm really glad that you reconsidered about what kind of bird to get.Like others have said-they need special attention to their diet. :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
FYI - One thing every bird owner should be aware of is that the Dusty (African Greys, Cockatoos and cockatiels) birds should not live with the non-dusty birds (macaws, conures, Pionus, Amazons and caiques ). The powder down of the first group can and will many time effect the respiratory health of the second group. Several birds on this forum have died from Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome caused by the powder down produced by the first group.

Kmck323

Real Name
Kate

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
CAGS are very dusty. I've had parrots for oh gees 45 years now? Even with out the dust, you will deal with seed shells, feathers floating and yes dust from the parrot. I do have to dust my things more often and I have a small vacuum to do quick clean ups. I do change his cage twice a day if not more if it's soiled.

I don't want to discourage you. I agree with the other posters, check with your husbands doctor about how the dust would effect his lungs. I have a HEPPA filter/air purifier and it does help. You just have to be more diligent in cleaning and dusting. I don't know the extent of your allergies, I would hate to see you give up on a baby CAG, but you must think of your health first. Yes, Paco takes a little more work in the cleaning department but he is also in my bedroom and is not in the main house.

I hope to see your post about what bird you decide to get!