• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My dog was attacked by a pit bull today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Topaz can be reactive with strange dogs.That's why he wears a muzzle on walks- even if I never let him off leash, just in the past five months we've been attacked by a large mutt (very scary for everyone), charged by an aggressive (suicidal?) chihuahua and nearly tackled by an overly exuberant Labrador who were all off leash.

It sounds like the kids in charge of that large strong dog are completely irresponsible and they should pay every cent of the vet care your dog requires as a result of their failures.

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
I would be FURIOUS. Take them to court and get that dog put into a shelter, rescue, or sanctuary because it's CLEARLY not being taken care of in the home that it's in.

I really hope your dog gets well soon and heals nicely.

I am so so sorry this happened. I had a similar experience once. I was walking my dog at the time and finally getting him leash trained when I see two off-leash pit mixes coming at me. (these were not American Pit Bull terriers, they were too stalky/thick) I managed to stare one down/scare it and it left, but the other attacked my dog. Thankfully, both walked away relatively unharmed but when I told my mom she drove down to the house to find both dogs still out, told the owners what happened, and they dismissed her... then refused to put their dogs in the yard. They just let them run around some more.

I really REALLY hate people sometimes. So much.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone for all your well wishes. I really appreciate them. We had a long night last night getting up and checking on Lucy to make sure she was OK. My husband didn't sleep much at all bless his heart. He was so upset after everything calmed down, that he just couldn't sleep. The whole situation traumatized him quite a bit. I can only imagine how he feels having to deal with that and those kids by himself.

Just an update. Animal Control called us this morning to find out how Lucy was. We told her what the vet said and how she was doing this morning. I also explained to her that she had to see her regular vet on Monday for another follow up visit. The officer stated that she needed a copy of the report and a copy of Lucy's shot records. I asked her why she needed that. Apparently they can't get an answer from the people in regards to their dog being fully vaccinated or not for rabies etc. so they want to make sure Lucy is up to date on her vaccines. Now we have to keep her quarantined for ten days at home until they call us again to make sure she doesn't come down with some other diseases from the dog bite. I told them I would fax everything to them on Monday after we see our regular vet.

Just after they called, the ER vet called to see how Lucy was doing. I couldn't believe she called because just before she called Lucy started to vomit. Now I am worried. The vet said to bring her back in so she could check her again. So off we went to the vet again. Said she is very sore obviously, and wanted to do more blood work to make sure she wasn't bleeding internally now. We do all that, and she is OK. No internal bleeding, but very sore and tender on her side. She adjusted her meds as now she thinks the medication she gave her could be upsetting her stomach. Lucy hasn't eaten anything in two days. She gave us some critical care food for her. Told us to keep her calm and quiet and to make sure we see our vet on Monday. She also gave her a pain shot and a PCN shot to make sure she doesn't get any infections in her wounds. She is now sleeping soundly.

I also want to clarify something. I no way intended to "bag the breed" regarding pits. The owners said it was a pit. Animal control said it was a pit as well. I also saw the dog, and it was a pit. Had Lucy been bitten by a Lab, or a Shepherd, or a duck, I would have stated so. It just happened to be a pit that bit her. Unfortunately where I live, there are a large number of pits and pit/mixes here. One can't walk down the street here without running into at least one. So please do not take what I said as singling out one breed of dog. I don't hold what the dog did against it. I hold the people that were responsible for controlling that dog accountable for the dog's actions. Unfortunately, it is probably going to be the dog that ultimately pays for what happened. Something has to be done about the situation one way or another. I know for a fact that those kids would do the same thing again given that dog back. They didn't care about my husband or Lucy, or anything else but covering their butt and leaving the scene. I can't in good conscience let that go and someday hear of someone else being bitten by that dog due to their irresponsibility and lack of concern for other people and their pets.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I also want to clarify something. I no way intended to "bag the breed" regarding pits. The owners said it was a pit. Animal control said it was a pit as well. I also saw the dog, and it was a pit. Had Lucy been bitten by a Lab, or a Shepherd, or a duck, I would have stated so. It just happened to be a pit that bit her. Unfortunately where I live, there are a large number of pits and pit/mixes here. One can't walk down the street here without running into at least one. So please do not take what I said as singling out one breed of dog. I don't hold what the dog did against it. I hold the people that were responsible for controlling that dog accountable for the dog's actions. Unfortunately, it is probably going to be the dog that ultimately pays for what happened. Something has to be done about the situation one way or another. I know for a fact that those kids would do the same thing again given that dog back. They didn't care about my husband or Lucy, or anything else but covering their butt and leaving the scene. I can't in good conscience let that go and someday hear of someone else being bitten by that dog due to their irresponsibility and lack of concern for other people and their pets.
I never saw you as bagging the breed..i totally understand you were just refering to what kind of dog it was. And i totally agree, it is not the dogs fault, and sadly it will be him to pay the price. There is no bad dog, just bad owners =(

Im in Arizona and there are tons of pitbulls here. My sister in Georgia has 13 of them and my brother has one. I would love to own one, but they are banned from my complex. Sad really

I hope Lucy continues to improve. Poor girl =(

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
Sorry, I just wanted to make sure. I didn't know if you were really able to tell the difference or not as many people can't. I just didn't want to hear stereotypes perpetuated for nothing.

I just feel awful about what you are going through. I was bailed up by 4 dogs once. They were growling at my little dog. I walked through them and they didn't attack but I was freaking out. I hope your little girl makes it through with no more surprises.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
kali...I understand what you meant about stereotyping the breed. I wouldn't do that regarding any breed of dog. I have had dogs all my life and many different breeds. All dogs can be aggressive no matter what size or shape they are. In my opinion, the only animal responsible for a dog bite to another human or another animal is the "Human animal"
My sister also has two Staffies. They are great dogs, and I trust them 100 percent around my young nephew and niece.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I have stayed away from this thread today because I cant stand to read about animals being hurt. My prayers are with your dog and the dog that bit her. I agree, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I hope your dog makes a full recovery. :hug8:

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Newf, I also didn't post to offend you. I guess it is just my instinct to jump in and protect the breed because I've seen so much and heard so much. I've experienced it one on one with my rotty and now with my pit/boxer mix.

I am so sorry about your dog and the pain she is going through right now. I am sorry for your husband who had to watch and deal with the situation. And I am terribly sorry for the pit who, as you said, unfortunately, will be the end one to suffer for the owner's irresponsibility.

I could not imagine being in your shoes. I'd be torn between reporting or not reporting. I'd want my vet bills covered and the owners to be responsible for the damage done to my beloved pet but I would also not want to see the other dog take the fall.

I really wish there was somewhere they could send the dogs to rehabilitate them instead of putting them down when a situation like this arises. And yes, I believe all animals can be rehabilitated. I don't believe any animal is hopeless.

Again, accept my apologies if I upset you, it was just second nature for me to protect the name. I hope you understand.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
crazyanimal...I am not offended by anything you said, or anything anyone else said.:) I just wanted to make sure my point was understood. I truly understand what you are talking about, and I too wish there was a way that the dog would not be harmed in all this. I am not sure what is going to happen. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in the next ten days. It is unfortunate that these dogs end up in irresponsible hands sometimes and other people and pets pay the price. It is just a sad situation all around. I too wish there was a place to send the dog to make sure that the people didn't have anything else to do with it. Unfortunately I don't think there are any places here where I live.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry to hear Lucy is not doing well. I am keeping her in my prayers and thoughts that she recovers fully. How is your other pup doing now?

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Chuwee is doing much better. Thank you for asking. He didn't want to leave my side yesterday, and he slept with me last night. He doesn't look so shell shocked today. Lucy has spent the day in her bed covered up. Chuwee really misses his buddy. He and Lucy are as thick as thieves, and run ragged together.

I am still concerned with Lucy not eating, but I think it is the pain meds that are making her sleep so much and not want to eat. We tried her again tonight with a small piece of chicken, and she just turned her head away. She won't even eat the critical care dog food the vet gave us. I am going to try her again later to see if she will eat. I am hoping once the pain meds wear off some and she isn't so sore that she will eat something. My bigger concern is that she isn't drinking either. She hasn't moved a muscle since we got home from the vets this afternoon.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just now reading this,im so sorry about what happened. I pray that your little ones heal quickly and with no ill effects.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Is there anyway that you can force something down her?? I know it sounds harsh but she needs fluids and food. At least fluids. Can you get a broth of some sort and give it to her?? Try putting it at the very back of her throat and she has no choice but to swallow. I would also be concerned with her not eating at all either.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I think pit bulls are banned in Florida. I know that some pit bulls are wonderful but obviously this pit bull was vicious, the outcome was bad but your husband's quick thinking saved the life of your dog and how brave of him to risk his own hand. You have a hero for a husband.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think pit bulls are banned in Florida. I know that some pit bulls are wonderful but obviously this pit bull was vicious, the outcome was bad but your husband's quick thinking saved the life of your dog and how brave of him to risk his own hand. You have a hero for a husband.
I believe they are banned in Miami Dade. Palm Beach they are not, and many are adoptable if you look on the County website.

On a side note, two of mine just got into a little tiff alittle while ago. My mutts watch each other's backs and my Sheltie got a bite on his ear. :( Even dogs living together as they do still can get into it. It's quite scary to see the two Girls go after my male.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chuwee is doing much better. Thank you for asking. He didn't want to leave my side yesterday, and he slept with me last night. He doesn't look so shell shocked today. Lucy has spent the day in her bed covered up. Chuwee really misses his buddy. He and Lucy are as thick as thieves, and run ragged together.

I am still concerned with Lucy not eating, but I think it is the pain meds that are making her sleep so much and not want to eat. We tried her again tonight with a small piece of chicken, and she just turned her head away. She won't even eat the critical care dog food the vet gave us. I am going to try her again later to see if she will eat. I am hoping once the pain meds wear off some and she isn't so sore that she will eat something. My bigger concern is that she isn't drinking either. She hasn't moved a muscle since we got home from the vets this afternoon.
:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You may need to get her to the vet for fluids so she doesn't get too dehydrated. The more dehydrated she gets the weaker she will get. When my cats were very ill I used a dropper and dripped liquid into their cheeks which made them swallow. It is important you keep her hydrated. Can you get some Pedialyte? If you can get liquid in her even if she vomits it up some will still be absorbed and benefit her.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Pedialyte would be a good idea.

I hope she feels better. It's so hard with little dogs.. they get hypoglycemic and dehydrated easily.
:hug8:

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
I hope your baby is feeling better... I'm sorry you've had such a rough couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.