• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My dog was attacked by a pit bull today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchanted Critters

Walking the driveway
Any update on this? Did you go to small claims court? I know it's been a while but how is your doggie doing? Showing any fears around other dogs?

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The people skipped out. We didn't get any good numbers to call them, and apparently they don't live at the address we were given either. Therefore we couldn't proceed with small claims court. We ended up just paying for the vet bills out of pocket. We weren't surprised that this happened as the officer basically told us we wouldn't be getting anything from them because they were doing the same thing with the fines and fees they had to pay for the dog to the city.

The good thing is that Lucy is pretty much back to her old self. Her hair is has almost all grown back to where I can actually get her clipped and she doesn't look like a holey rug. We have noticed that when we walk her, she does get tend to get a bit guarded around larger dogs now. She will pull back and walk on the opposite side that the larger dog is on. She doesn't do it as much as she did at first, so we are happy that she is getting back to her happy self. :)

Thank you for asking about her.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Poor Lucy...glad she is making a recovery. I always fear for my partner and our two doggy girls when they go for a walk, our neighbourhood has lots of people who let their untrained dogs run free, despite the law. Give the lovely girl a cuddle from me and my family.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Lucy and the cat are doing well now. It just seems to be larger dogs that make her a bit nervous now and then.

hotfoot jackson, thank you for the warm wishes. My husband bought a personal zap stick to carry with us when we are out walking now. There are also a lot of free running dogs in our neighborhood as well. We don't want to go through that experience again. They don't cost that much, and personally I feel much better walking the smaller dogs when I have the zap stick. At least it would help in some regard if a dog attempted to attack my dogs, or myself again.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Ugh thats just rotten that people get away with something like that. Karma works in magical ways though. Im just glad Lucy is doing better. Poor girl

Mobile Bird Grooming

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Paula
I was attacked in the face 3 mos ago by a pit bull at a gas station (on a leash held by owner). He bit my nose (through the cartiledge) and took half my lower lip off, laying on the sidewalk. At first Animal Control refused to put him down, but finally did. Lawsuit is pending.

Peoples' pets have a right to be walked on the leash. See if there is a lawyer who will take your case for a % of the settlement. I'm sorry for what you went through and yes, trauma stays with you whether you are a person or a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.