• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My dog was attacked by a pit bull today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
and I am so very angry about the whole situation. Long story short is that my husband was walking our two small dogs in the park today. He was on his way home when he saw a group of teenagers with a pit bull. The dog was not on it's leash when he saw them, but once the kids saw my husband, they grabbed the dog and put it's leash on. As my husband was passing them, the dog dragged the young girl that was holding the leash off the picnic bench and came at him on the path which is a good twenty or so feet away from the picnic bench. My husband walks with a walking stick, and used it to try and block the dog from getting at our two small dogs. The pit got around my husband and grabbed her by the mid section and picked her up off the ground. Before the dog could start to shake her or anything else, my husband shoved his hand in the dogs mouth to get it to let got. The dog did let go finally. He then grabbed the pit and held it and called the cops. The teenage boy was trying to get the pit and take off home. My husband told him he wasn't going anywhere until the cops showed up. Animal control showed up at the same time I did. I was at home when all this happened and he called me and I drove down to the park.

Come to find out that the animal control officer knew the dog as it had bit before. The kids were trying to pass the buck as to who owned the dog. They said at first it was his dog. Then the sister of the lady that supposedly owns the dog showed up and said it was her sisters' dog, who is in Chicago. The sister was giving the kids what for for taking the dog out of the yard knowing full well that they couldn't handle to dog. So as we were listening to their conversations, I was getting angrier at them for their lack of carelessness bringing that type of dog into a public park knowing full well they couldn't handle the dog. Animal control took the dog into custody again, and are suppose to call us tomorrow for an update from the vet. Amongst all the ruckus at the park with those people, my chihuahua had taken off. We finally found him up at the gate of the park. I thought we had lost him as well.

I took Lucy to the Emergency Clinic and after all the test and such, she has three cracked ribs, and two pockets of pulmonary edema on her left side. She has two puncture wounds and three lacerations across her back. The vet had to shave her and treat her wounds. She also gave me a CD of the x-rays to take to my regular vet on Monday for her follow up. When I explained to her what had happened, she said get a lawyer and have those people pay for her vet bills.

I guess what I am so angry about is the lack of responsibility of those teenagers in the first place. They obviously knew that dog's background, and why would they take it to a public place unleashed. The teenage boy also told my husband that he should give him the dog back so he could go. He tried to be a a smart.... to him when he said he wasn't going anywhere until the cops came. The kid said it wasn't a big deal, he was a minor and he couldn't go to jail. I was like wt??? The sister started in on me about whether my dogs where leashed. I said my dogs are always leashed, it is the law here in the park. YOUR dog was off his leash until the kids saw my husband coming with our dogs. The owner of the dog was called in Chicago, and she spoke to my husband and said she would "take care of it" when she got back. She offered no apology or anything other than stating that fact.

It has cost us already close to six hundred dollars at the vet today, plus what it's going to cost for the follow up visits. We aren't sure what is going to happen from here, but I am just glad my husband wasn't hurt, and my dogs are going to be ok.

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
Im so sorry that happened, and I hope your dog has a quick recovery! :hug8:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I am so sorry- hope the little one has a quick recovery!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you. We have her with us in our bedroom to keep an eye on her through the night. She came home and went straight under our bed and won't sleep in her bed. I am sure she is very traumatized by all that happened. My chihuahua also has a sore leg as well. He is limping. We aren't sure whether he got stepped on or what happened, so we are also keeping an eye on him as well. The bad thing about it the whole thing is that legally there isn't a thing we can do about it unless we hire a lawyer. Because the dog didn't bite my husband, they won't do anything. Dog on dog bites don't count as a dangerous dog act. I really think that the law should be amended to automatically make the persons responsible for the dog and all bills etc. accumulated after the accident.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
REALLY?! That's absolutely crazy!!! Lots of love to your lil pup tonight!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8: I'm sorry your husband, dogs and you had to go through this. Praying your little ones heal with no problems. I know how I am with my girls I'd be a mess.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I hate people who are irresponsible like that..then offer no apology at all? I would definitely be getting myself a lawyer. They should NOT get away with that. Im so sorry your baby had to suffer for their idiocy

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I agree completely, they should Not get away with that, they obviously feel entitled to something, offering no apologies, trying to sneak the dog back home, saying they 'can't' go to jail (like that's the answer to all of it - he's in no trouble - I wonder if the mother will even do anything as far as discipline goes?) ...
Ugh, a major pet peeve of mine, people who aren't responsible when it comes to their pets...

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That is terrible! I'm so sorry your pups were hurt. I hope both heal fully. :hug5:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so sorry...how terrible I can't believe the police can't hold them responsible? Lawyers are very expensive, but perhaps you can file a small claims case? Hope your doggies heal quickly.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your little one will be ok also...physically and emotionally.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
How ghastly! I hope your poor dog recovers physically and mentally. The stinkers that failed to control the dog and the owner should be called to book for this, at least to pay for your bills. I sometimes wonder if the law (all over) should be changed to permit the teens legal punishment to approximate adult punishments, many of them knowingly break the law with the knowledge they will get of with it. Here Pitties have to wear muzzles when out in public, as well as have a leash attached.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how absolutely horrifying....they should not be allowed to get away with that irresponsibility.....I do hope your little doggies will be ok....big hugs to you dear..:hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sorry to hear this. Yes, unresponsible pet Owners are all over the place with no regard.

I hope your dog heals quickly! :hug8:

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Awww I am so sorry for your dog. I feel bad for the pit because you can take a guess at what is going to happen to him. All because of irresponsible owners. I hope someone is charged for causing the dog to be the way he is.

I hope your baby feels better soon.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
A dog that has a history of attacking either People or other dogs should be deemed dangerous.

I am not sure about TX laws, but in Palm Beach County FL, they passed the law to where a dog who bites or attacks one time is deemed dangerous. Needs to be muzzled in public or kept in a kennel. If it happens again, that's it euthanized by order of the courts. A bit crazy if you ask me, but thankfully I no longer live there!

I couldn't imagine a Sheltie of mine biting another dog, or snapping at a kid as one of mine did before. GEEZ. :rolleyes:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You take them to small claims court, you don't need a lawyer there and a bite is a bite, doesn't matter if it is to a human or another dog.

File a case in your local court and then contact the producers of Judge Judy and if she hears your case and the teenagers give her any type of lip she will give them a butt reaming. The courts don't seem to tolerate pit bull cases much. Have your hubby sit down now and document every bit of the events while it is still fresh in his mind. Can you tell I watch too many of these judge shows?

Glad that your hubby and babies are ok, things could have been a lot worse.

HungryBird

I'm pretty sure if you take them to small claims court they will have to pay for your vet bills. I would absolutely do it by the way. I hate people who don't keep their dogs on leash.

Status
Not open for further replies.