• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel

Cockatiel7

Checking out the neighborhood
Two weeks ago I got a cockatiel. She is hand tame and loves eating millet! However whenever I open the cage door to let her out she just looks out and goes back in her cage. I haven’t forced her out in any way but I’m not sure what to do now.

Reactions: Ali

mak

Rollerblading along the road
Your doing great! Give her time. A few pieces of advice I've gotten on this forum (not mine just passing them along) are to put a perch on the outside of the cage near the door and leave some millet outside that she might want to come out for.
Welcome!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Welcome!

Like @mak said, I would but a perch by, or on the door.

Perches like this attach to the cage sides and are perfect for putting on doors.

I would also recommend hang a toy that can be perched on (such as a boing Bouncing Boing Small - Climbing Bird Toy 132cm! ) in view of the cage, so if she decides to full on fly out of the cage, she has a safe place designated for her use.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Leave the door open and step back away from the cage, your bird will come out when they are ready.
You can place perches near the door way, and treats and toys outside the cage to entice them out.

milliebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Evie
make it really fun outside the cage using perches and toys attached around the door area to the cage so that they don't feel too far from their safe place